Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington Versa max or Benelli Super Vinci?

Aimtrue0531

First I am new here and I want to say thanks to everyone in the forum. I have been learning so much from here as I dive into 3 gun as a complete newbie.

That all being said, I have 2 shotguns that I use for duck hunting. One a Remington versamax( in camo) and the other a Benilli Super Vinci (black). I would like to dedicate one for 3 gun but I am not sure which way to go. From what I have read here it seems the Remington would be the least expensive route but the Benelli might be more reliable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Aimtrue0531

The Super Vinci may not be reliable with lighter loads (3 dram 1 1/8 oz.). If your Benelli was a regular Vinci not the Super Vinci I would pick it. The Versa max with a modified loading port, tuned shell stop and a magazine extension tube would be the better choice.

VERSAMAX! Have been running mine in 3gun for 2 years now with ZERO issues. I use cheap walmart 7-1/2 shot bird shot and low recoil slugs and have never had a single failure. Ran it bone stock with a mag extention last year then sent it out to have load port work, lifter welded, and the barrel throated for easier loading.

WooHoo another fanboy debate! Both are good choices both have issues.

Remington. Factory QC is a gamble, but they fix them. They are the heavier of the two.

They run lighter loads. They require more work to have ready to play but cost a little less initially.

They may shoot slugs to point of aim, they may not.

Vinci. They are lighter (if that is a factor for you) The run great on 3 dram 1 1/8oz loads,

some run ok with lighter loads but I would not.

They only need a mag tube and an easy home gunsmith port job. The port area is "plastic" and is very easy to tune

with a wood rasp, files and sand paper.

May shoot slugs to point of aim it may not.

If you travel the Vinci breaks down into a short package without loss of zero or function.

I shoot a Stoeger M3000 so I don't have a dog in this fight.

Oh but I have run the Vinci in competion...and they are fine looking

p1806031516-4.jpg

Thank you all for the input. Right now I am leaning towards the Benelli despite the obvious draw back of the amount of money it takes to put into it. Although no decisions are final until parts start being ordered. From what I understand if I can get my hands on a speedbolt that should mitigate the issues with the lighter loads.? Also, Kelly do you have a photo of the larger loading port I could use as a references?

I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle and a Versa Max. I know the SBE is a different beast than the Vinci, but for me, the VM is much nicer to shoot. My SBE seems to have more recoil than my '97 cowboy gun.

I'm going to throw this out too, I also have an FN SLP. The VM feels better in hand than the SLP and shoots just as soft. I know a lot of guys are going the Benelli route, but so far, I really like the VM. There are lots of aftermarket parts available for both of your platforms, and both are excellent choices. Currently, the FN seems to have what it has, and there is not a lot sense putting a lot of money into one.

Daniel Horner uses a Versa Max Tactical that went through the Triangle shooting Sports shop. He seems to do pretty well with it. A lot of the other guys use a TTI M2. I don't know if this is because of the excellent job Taran does marketing in addition to being an older proven platform or what.

I would pick the one you would be most willing to take out and put a hundred rounds through, and don't look back. Learn to load it fast and hit what you're pointing at and have fun.

wg

Thank you all for the input. Right now I am leaning towards the Benelli despite the obvious draw back of the amount of money it takes to put into it. Although no decisions are final until parts start being ordered. From what I understand if I can get my hands on a speedbolt that should mitigate the issues with the lighter loads.? Also, Kelly do you have a photo of the larger loading port I could use as a references?

The Vinci takes LESS money to make it ready. tube and home smith port work.

Daniel is uber talented so what gun he shoots does not really matter...what helps is that he is fully backed by our tax dollars (good thing in my book)

and has a complete shop of smiths to make any choice he makes the right one.

Keith Garcia and Greg Jordan are full time cops and Keith uses a Benelli and Greg a Browning A5.

Mark Hanish is the highest finisher of the FNH group and uses a SLP.

If as Aimtrue says he HAS a Vinci AND and Vmax he knows which one he likes to shoot and that coupled with the amount of money needed

to get one or the other up to speed for 3G the Vinci wins....NOT a gun he does not own.

Thanks Patrick, it reinforces my point, lots of guns out there, lots of great gunsmiths and parts and mods he can do on his own, he has two great platforms to choose from, pick the one he likes best of the two and shoot the crap out of it!

Never intended to suggest the FN, just that while it is a good shotgun the Benelli or VMAX are probably better options.

wg

I have been researching how to open the loading port on the Benelli and I am not sure if I have the stones to do that to a $1,500 shotgun. If I couldn't bring myself to do it, would you guys be able to give me an idea what it would cost from a gunsmith?

I have been researching how to open the loading port on the Benelli and I am not sure if I have the stones to do that to a $1,500 shotgun. If I couldn't bring myself to do it, would you guys be able to give me an idea what it would cost from a gunsmith?

About a year ago Triangle Shooting Sports opened up the port on my benelli M2. IIRC it was ~$200 plus shipping both ways and took a couple weeks. If it were me, I'd call Triangle, Rose Action Sports and Taran Tactical to get quotes and lead times.

Unlike the Vmax or Benelli M2 or FN or any other self loading shotgun worth using....The part you are modifying is NOT the

serial numbered part! It is a forend/trigger housing/ mag tube hanger. And is replaceable if you really get out of control.

The Super Vinci is a better choice as it has the "speed bolt" and will run just fine with 3 dram 1 1/8 oz ammo.

Unlike the Vmax or Benelli M2 or FN or any other self loading shotgun worth using....The part you are modifying is NOT the

serial numbered part! It is a forend/trigger housing/ mag tube hanger. And is replaceable if you really get out of control.

The Super Vinci is a better choice as it has the "speed bolt" and will run just fine with 3 dram 1 1/8 oz ammo.

The regular Vinci 3" has a speedbolt option. The SUPER is the 3.5" and does not. Mr. Kelly knows this, just a typo.

If you did want to have the speedbolt modified to run in a 3.5", I know a guy that has done it... No not I.

The regular Vinci 3" has a speedbolt option. The SUPER is the 3.5" and does not. Mr. Kelly knows this, just a typo.

If you did want to have the speedbolt modified to run in a 3.5", I know a guy that has done it... No not I.

I would definitely be interested in that, perhaps not right away but as I get more int the sport. Could get get me his info?

A very good point but the way I look at it $200 would be far less then the price of a new forend.

A very good point but the way I look at it $200 would be far less then the price of a new forend.

Oh heck yea! If funds allow have a Pro do it right! And thanks guys for covering my error on the Super vs. Speed bolt. (duh)

I have an M2 and a Vinci. The versa max seems close to an M2 but with a gas system. I have had a hard time loading the Vinci vs. the M2. I am sure it could be overcome with practice. I don't have the speed bolt so it doesn't like the lighter loads.

I would definitely be interested in that, perhaps not right away but as I get more int the sport. Could get get me his info?

You can PM me if you are serious about having a Super Vinci with a speed bolt.

Roxy, thank you I will pm you, but before I waist anyone's time I would like to lay this out there. Do you guys think I would be worth trying to sell/trade one of my shotguns for am M2 before I start frankensteining and dumping money into the super Vinci? Or is that just a waist and putting me basically right where I am now?

Just so everyone knows - that "non serialized" replacement fore end is not available by itself. Only as a complete assembly and is over $600. Sure, $600 is less than the cost of another gun, but I always hear that as a selling point - if you take it too far, just get another fore end and start over. That is true, but it's going to cost you b

I have 3 Versa Max shotguns for 3-Gun use. They all run reliably (THE most critical consideration with any shotgun), are all soft and quick shooting, and they all shot slugs straight (the most common complaint I hear). They all have welded carriers (a trivial $45 expense), but only one has the loading port opened up (a nice-to-have, not a necessity IMHO).

As you own both, you are in the fortunate position of being able to try both. Start by checking which of them shoots slugs straight - that may make your decision much easier. Maybe call Nordic and see if their extension tube can be made interchangeable between the two (with different nuts)? The welded carrier is a nice upgrade to the VM, even if it never leaves the duck blind.

I'm not sure why you mentioned the color of the guns. If you are worried about other folks thinking less of you because you are running a camo shotgun, don't worry about it... I know several very successful 3-gunners that run camo guns. Its a complete non-issue.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Have you thought about this?

Choose the one you want to waterfowl hunt with (I would choose the Benelli) and sell the other one then use those funds to get a M3000 ready to roll from MOA Precision. You might even be able to do it as a wash.