Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory Ammo for Competition

GrtWhite

Hi guys,

I'm very new to this and have my second 3 Gun match next week. I have a Stag 3G with a 1:8 twist, chambered for 5.56 and was wondering which ammo to buy for this match. Targets will be anywhere from 50 to 375 yards.

I was looking for the Hornady SteelMatch 75gr, but can't find that in stock anywhere, so I need to figure out what else is recommended for those distances.

Thank you

You really don't need anything special for those distances. Try grouping a few different brands of run-of-the-mill 55gr and see what works best for your gun. If you start going to matches with longer ranges, then you might explore the heavier projectiles.

Unless it is really windy I shoot 55gr FMJ XM193 out to 450 yards with no problems. Remember if you change to heavy ammo you will have to check your zero and adjust for this and run it all the time. You will have enough things on your mind. KISS. Unless you reload the heavy(69-75-77gr) cost a lot more.

gerritm

Hi guys,

I'm very new to this and have my second 3 Gun match next week. I have a Stag 3G with a 1:8 twist, chambered for 5.56 and was wondering which ammo to buy for this match. Targets will be anywhere from 50 to 375 yards.

I was looking for the Hornady SteelMatch 75gr, but can't find that in stock anywhere, so I need to figure out what else is recommended for those distances.

Thank you

Have a Stag 3G as well. PMC Bronze 55s until 200 yards. Black Hills 77 OTM for 200 yards and out. Zeroed @ 200 for the 77s. At 100 yards, the PMC hit an inch high and group about an 1.25 MOA (shot off coupled mags). The 77s leave no doubt of a hit at distance.

before i started reloading i used Freedom 55gr for everything, out to 600 yds.

now I started reloading 77gr noslers for anything past 350 and still shoot cheap 55gr for anything closer than 350

I have PMC branded M193 clone ammo for short range stuff. Anything for precision or past hoser distance sees me shooting Prvi Partisan 223 75 grain. Some days I think I'd be better served by finding one load to shoot all the time and never worry about it. PM me if you want any ideas on where to go to order these types of things. I don't want to advertise for somebody in what should be just an informational thread.

I was shooting a 16.5 " M&P with a 1/9 twist and zeroed it at 200 with Federal 223 55 grain and it shoots it so well I only use the heavier stuff when there is more wind etc.... I was going one for one out to 400 on MGM swingers and even hit targets out to 600 with the same ammo. The heavier factory ammo is so expensive and I saw no benefit in my gun ( unless there is stronger winds etc...) so I stick to the 55 grain Fed stuff and it works great, only 40 bucks for a box of 100 also and it is very clean too. Every gun and barrel seems to like different things so you need to experiment a little but decent 55 grain ammo works for most stuff I have found and helps keep costs down.

Freedom is a very cost-effective way to shoot. My 1-8 twist barrel doesn't like 55s though. 2-3" at 100 is typical. I run 55s out to 200yds to conserve money, and 77gr handloads for distance and MGM spinners. My old 1-8 liked 55s for almost 30,0000 rounds :)

Exactly what bushmeat said. PMC Bronze 55s until 200 yards. Black Hills 77 5.56 for 200 yards and out.

I use a Burris XTR and the BDC is set for the Black Hill 77 gr. Dead on at 300 yds.

Same accuracy as bushmeat listed.

This is what I have been using in my JP 1/8 twist, 18", for all my major matches, since 2009.

Before that, Black Hills 69 gr. for long range and 55 gr American Eagle in my 1/9 custom ASI Mini 14.

Edited by Trail3

I've been using Grace Ammo's 55g FMJ for all targets for the past 3 years. They load using Hornady's projectile. Chronos at 2850 fps out of my 18" DoubleStar rifle and groups at 1 1/4 MOA. Like some of the other replies, I like to KISS. One zero, one dope. Unless you also count the dope pulling the trigger then there are two.

Edited by Bryan 45

55grain FMJ boat tail

.26 per round off the shelf at academy or Walmart ( monarch and ppu)

1:8 twist 18" Odin works barrel with rifle gas

Hitting out to 450 no problem.... Wind or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just use Federal 5.56x45 NATO out to 400 yards in my 18" Faranken rifle. 2" groups at 200 yards and 5" groups at 400 yards. Kentucky windage when needed. Whatever you choose stay with it and learn it well. Like the saying says"fear the man with one rifle".

And uses the same ammo consistantly.

Run anything out to 250 yards after that wind will start messing with your 55 grain whatever rounds. I pack in the 75 grain steel matches after that. It is tough to find them and I will never reveal my source for them ever. Why tell anyone about the slutty quite nerd girl who is super hot when she lets her hair down and takes off her glasses (I prefer the glasses)?

JF