Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drop in triggers

jackson923

I run a CMC flat and really like the way it feels - and shoots.

Steve, doesn't that make it feel very different from your other gun triggers? I guess that isn't a problem being consistent across all the platforms?

I've always worried about triggers acting very different across platforms. But the CMC flat version has often sparked my interest.

I hope these questions enhance the original post. I don't mean to thread-jack.

Thanks.

I use the newer style timney single stage. It more flat then the previous generation which was more mil spec style. I would say I like the flatter face but the timney is a good balance of flat and curved. I also was very impressed with the Hyperfire 24c. straight blade trigger with a shoe you can use or not if you so choose.

I like it because it lengthens the "trigger reach" along with the Ergo grip that adds length to the back of the grip also. I don't have overly large hands but never liked the way a stock gun felt.

Steve, you sound like me! I have an Ergo grip but a little more forward trigger could be just right. Thanks for the reply.

I'm with Steve on this one. Quite pleased with my flat CMC and it just so happens to feel very similar to the flat trigger on my CZ TS, just two pounds heavier. I never thought about trigger reach till I shot a JP with a Hogue finger groove grip and a curved trigger the other day and I hated it. It was all I could do to not accidentally pull with middle knuckle area of my finger. The CMC flat/Magpul MOE combo on my rifle fits me much better.

AR15s are set up for small hands. Getting the trigger out further through grip, trigger geometry, etc. to fit you is a good thing. I would say proper fit is more important than actual brand. I really think there are a lot of good drop in triggers these days and stating one is better than another is phooey. Fit first, single or two stage second, nuances third.

Edited by MarkCO

I should mention that the trigger on the JP i shot was their 3.5# unit and it had a slightly cleaner break than the CMC but unless I was a benchrest shooter I don't think I would ever notice the difference in actual use.

I run a CMC flat and really like the way it feels - and shoots.

Steve, doesn't that make it feel very different from your other gun triggers? I guess that isn't a problem being consistent across all the platforms?

I've always worried about triggers acting very different across platforms. But the CMC flat version has often sparked my interest.

I hope these questions enhance the original post. I don't mean to thread-jack.

Thanks.

I had the same thought but honestly the break is the same on both. The feel isn't that much different. CMC makes great triggers, flat or curved.

Check out the Elftmann triggers for the cleanest breaking trigger you will ever feel

Literally at the wall and then it breaks. Very clean. However, not a fan of the reset compared to the AR Gold and Rise Armament trigger. The reset is clunky in comparison and long. It isn't nearly as smooth as those other two.

Question for you all with drop in triggers which style do you have flat/straight or curved? Why did you chose that style and do you regret your choice and wish you had the other style?

I use both. I like straight bow a little better just because of finger placement, but I have no qualms about running curved. I've been running the AR Gold for a while now, but was using SD3G prior to that. Now I'm playing with a Rise Armament trigger in another gun, weighing if I want to switch from the AR Gold that is my main gun, mainly because the bow of the Rise is nicer *to me*, although I still like the break of the Gold a bit more so far. The reset length on both is just about equal, which is crazy short and nice, with the Rise having a more tactile/positive reset than the Gold. Need to smooth out the sear surface a bit per recommendation from one of the Rise shooters (it isn't a needed thing, the trigger is VERY nice out of the package......just can't leave things along, ya know?) and then the break may lighten up a bit more and be closer to how I have my Gold set.

However, when picking a trigger, it isn't the bow that is my #1 factor..........it is down the list compared to how the trigger breaks and especially the travel and reset lengths.

Some info for those interested in some trigger thoughts.

I'm actually collecting measurements from all the triggers I have on-hand to share in the near future to provide reference of how the triggers act and "feel" translates from those numbers.

What people like is subjective, but perhaps the measurements can help some people narrow down what they prefer....

Edited by AustinWolv

I don't see how anyone could like the rise and the ar gold. The rise feels very similar to the elfmann. The ar gold has a mushy reset. Once you get the elfmann broke in and adjusted it feels even better. Mines breaking at 2lbs right now, nice crisp reset.

Subjective above.

Rise has about 40% shorter reset length and is smoother.

The ELF resets like the SD3G, but more of a clunk out instead of smooth, positive reset. It does have a very defined break with no takeup.

Edited by AustinWolv

Subjective above.

Rise has about 40% shorter reset length and is smoother.

The ELF resets like the SD3G, but more of a clunk out instead of smooth, positive reset. It does have a very defined break with no takeup.

How does a Timney trigger compare to these three? I've got a 3lb Skeletonized that I'm going to stick in an SRB build and will need a new one for my competition rifle.

I'm trying to decide between the new Hiperfire TH24, Elf and Rise. Or simply get another Timney... I have no qualms with it, just looking for something different.. light crisp break.

I like what I'm hearing about that Rise trigger though.

My CMC flat has been excellent out of the box, and it seems to go against the grain of a lot of reviews but I like it more than the AR gold I have on the backup now. The reset is excellent on the CMC. Only problem I had with the flat trigger is that you can't run an extended bolt catch like the BAD. I took one and chopped off the bar that goes through the trigger guard. Might go to a curved trigger on the next one just to keep that feature.

How does a Timney trigger compare to these three? I've got a 3lb Skeletonized that I'm going to stick in an SRB build and will need a new one for my competition rifle.

Hi Chris, it wouldn't be fair for me to comment on a Timney since I haven't tried one in over a year.

I'm trying to decide between the new Hiperfire TH24, Elf and Rise. Or simply get another Timney... I have no qualms with it, just looking for something different.. light crisp break.

The ELF is literally at the wall when you dry-fire/feel it.....there is 0.0235"(0.6mm) of takeup that is barely perceptible unless you are measuring/doing it slow. Apply the trigger pull weight and it breaks suddenly. There is overtravel of another 0.024"( 0.61mm). I'm just not a fan of the reset thus far as it is long and clunks out. It is NOT a bad trigger, don't get me wrong. The reset length at just under 0.050" (~1.25mm). In contrast, the Rise and AR Gold is 0.030-0.035" (0.76-0.89mm).

The Hiperfire 24C (haven't seen the TH24 yet of course since it isn't out.....) has a bit of takeup and then breaks nicely. As I recall it, it has longer reset length also, more like the ELF or SD3G than the Gold or Rise. I don't have a 24C to measure right now. I'm picking up about 0.023" (0.5mm) of takeup on the Rise with a predictable crisp break.

I like what I'm hearing about that Rise trigger though.

If you will be at one of the upcoming local matches, let me know, and I'll bring it along for you to try.

And you could let me check out the Timney.

Mind you, these are just measurements I've taken with digital calipers. I don't have any stake in the game as these all were bought with my own money or what I was fortunate to get from prize tables, so no smoke blowing based on what was given to me. And for *my* desires, the triggers I list as preferable because I like a predictable, crisp break for longer ranged/tight targets with a super-short reset. If I was just shooting hoser bay stages all the time, then there is a wider margin of triggers that I'd be open to........

It all comes down to what YOU like, not what trigger some internet forum says the best. Even that tends to rotate over the years....remember the SD3G was the hotness? Then the Hiperfire?

Try some triggers out at a match, think about what you like on the clock, and then run the hell out of it.

Kind of like optics.....kind of sucks that you can't try a bunch out and determine what fits you the best, since just following the all the internet info takes a lot of weeding out of subjective fanboy sounding stuff.

Once you break on in the elfmann and adjust it down, it no longer feels clunky.

It has been adjusted down. The reset may smooth out some after a ton of use, but it still will jump out and be significantly longer length than the Gold or Rise.

My CMC flat has been excellent out of the box, and it seems to go against the grain of a lot of reviews but I like it more than the AR gold I have on the backup now.

Great trigger for the money. I'd like to try one of their new 2-stage offerings, as their single stage didn't do it for me. I don't have their single or 2-stage onhand to get real measurements unfortunately.

*self-edited to correct some measurements*

Edited by AustinWolv