Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do Custom Gunsmiths do this for a reason?

BigGabe

A friend had a pistol built by a well know custom gunsmith and upon taking it apart found a hole drilled into the bottom of the slide right before the disconnector recess(see picture). Is this there for a purpose or is it a screw up on the smiths part. It's just a hole that goes all the way into the firing pin hole. I've never seen this on any 1911 or 2011. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

post-26172-0-66757800-1427054055_thumb.j

Does the gun have a bomar type rear sight? Take the firing pin out and see if you see the bottom of the screw that holds down the rear sight blade. If you do...the hole is a mistake...the guy drilling the hole for the sight went too far.

...actually, you would just see the hole continuing and see the end of the screw.

Edited by ExtremeShot

Damn Extreme shot that's exactly what happened. I didn't pick up on it. Not surprising with all the other stuff that was wrong with it as well. Thanks. Mystery solved.

Yeah, mystery solved. Let us know what the smith says when you confront him on it. ....Like I said, I would be concerned/wonder about the tip of the disconnector getting beat up running across that hole all the time.

Don't know if the owner did it or one of his employees. Regardless of who did it, it should have never left his shop. I repaired the problem and we will move on, but for the $3500.00 Predator Tactical charged for this gun then seeing their work I wouldn't let them work on my lawnmower.

post-26172-0-32027000-1427113068_thumb.j

Nice repair Gabe.

That was a world class stoopid screw up! Drilled the hole down to the firing pin tunnel (normal) and then just kept on keeping on down through the disconnector rail. It doesn't matter WHO in the shop did it, the slide should have never left the shop.

We need to see and hear of the shops who do this kind of crappy work so those folks spending their hard earned $$$ go elsewhere.

:angry2::angry2::angry2::angry2:

Whoa...

Yeah, nice repair, and good on you for fixing the FPS, too.

But holy cow, that is the stuff that makes puppies want to cry.

If this thread gets nuked I will be extremely disappointed. It's time we can rally together and help others from making $3500 mistakes. Something like that would seriously hurt. Never mind that we're talking about firearms here. There are safety concerns. These days anyone can build a really cool website and call themselves a gun builder and sucker folks in. Used to be word of mouth based on reputation.

I agree that is something that should have never left the shop on any gun let alone a "custom". If someone is paying that kind of cash for a gun they expect a custom that had the little details taken care of and not a blatant obvious mess up ignored hoping the Customer dosent notice. No one is perfect but if a mistake is made it should be fixed before it's sent out or people will wonder what else was done wrong

We know he has or had everything a fresh graduate from ACME guns could use to do it right. Must be why he shot a KodIac SV for all those yaers before he decided he can do it better. NOT from the looks of it. I really hate this happened to anyone.

No, I just didn't tap it all the way so the filler screw would run out of threads in the hole. Then put some red locktite on the screw and screwed it down tight till it ran out of threads, gave it an hour or so to set up some then dressed the screw down flush and polished with a Cratex wheel on a dremel.

Did you ever contact Matt with a photo?

I'm dumbfounded as to how/why a gun of that expense would ever leave the shop like that. Cosmetic or structural, you shouldn't of ever had to bare witness.

As for you fixing it yourself; I wouldn't of, and Matt would've received a call immediately demanding he not fix, but replace the top end. I'm shocked.

Edited by 818-DVC

From what happened with Predator Tactical isn't Gabe lucky to have even gotten the gun in the first place?

I about cried when I saw "Matt" in the last post! So I had to go back and read everything else. I knew My "Matt" would not do something like this!

I sent Matt an email through his websight this morning with pictures. If I would have turned out something like that I would want to know. The thing is I would not have turned something like that out. Have not heard from him.

From what happened with Predator Tactical isn't Gabe lucky to have even gotten the gun in the first place?

I about cried when I saw "Matt" in the last post! So I had to go back and read everything else. I knew My "Matt" would not do something like this!

Matt Cheely is as solid as they come. I'm sure Burkett will make good too. It's just a shame it happened, and had to go public

FWIW...I have a buddy who paid for an open gun well over a year ago (I think it's close to two years)...he still has not received the gun. He contacted PT several times. Last I heard he asked for his money back.

I worked on another PT gun that had the whole corner of the feed ramp buzzed off. It left a gap between the frame and the feed ramp. The gun was a special order with the owner's name engraved, etc, etc. I was working on the gun because it would not feed .40sw ammo. I checked the chamber with a go/no-go gage and found the chamber was short. Additionally, when I ran my finish reamer into it the first time, I found the bottom of the chamber was not straight and parallel. The only thing I can figure on that was that a dull finish reamer was used.

D

Edited by ExtremeShot

If you have other people working for you, it's almost impossible to monitor everything they do. I would have called the original smith and let them know and give them a chance to make it right before going public. I don't know if this person employs others, just a thought. Either way I would talk to the person to see if they would make it right first.