Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blast Sheilds

Nghthwk1911

OK, Still working on the Open shooting "Plan".

Gun set up... STI TruBore with Cheely Horizontal mount. (No Blast Shield)

I have done some experiments with coated projectiles, in this case 124gr Bayou with 8.6gr of HS-6 making 179pf, so it shoots well.

But after just 2-3 rounds the glass is completely smeared with carbon blow back.

Plan on trying some with CFE and seeing if that is less...

But the questions are....

1. Do Blast Shields work at keeping carbon from glass?

Or are they doing something else that I am not aware of because I don't have one on my gun .

2. Does anyone make a Blast Shield for a Horizontal mount?

I have some slide glide, and I will give that a try.

the black ichor on the glass is carbon, oil would smear and this does not do that.

Not sure if a Setback mount would reduce the issue, but I am not ready to drop $90 to find out yet.

I can't imagine a blast shield for a 90. The lens is right on the slide so there is no way that I can see for it to happen. I switched to a Cheely 90 and my glass is always dirty now. I wipe it every stage. With my old upright I rarely cleaned it.

Edited to add: You might try asking on the forums if somebody has a set back 90 to loan you to test. I find it amazing how helpful the regulars on this forum can be! :cheers:

Edited by Sarge

The set back mount will help, it gets the lens from the comp, and the cheely sits further back and lower than my Quinn 2 mount

You might also try to switch to jhp, some of the carbon maybe the coating burning off the base of the bayou bullets

I switched to a 90 and my glass is always dirty now. I wipe it every stage. With my old upright I rarely cleaned it.

same here, clean after every stage, even shooting 9 minor. way better for me though than taking a buncha time to find the dot.

I have a DAA horizontal mount on my Trubor Competitor in 38 super and have absolutely no powder residue problems with my cmore. It may be because I use N105 powder and it is by far the cleanest powder I have ever used. Gun still looks clean after a match, with just a light grey residue on the feedramp and around the ejection port.

Not to detour from the original post, but the Cheely vertical offset mount has worked well for me. Comes with an integral blast shield and does not interfere with ejection. I played with the concept of using a horizontal mount, but have been advised against it due to the design of the c-more. From what I have been told the c-more was not designed, and does not hold up to being mounted horizontally. I understand the the desire of mounting it in this position, but am more conearned about reliability of the optic.

OK, So this is the accumulated info I have so far.

1. Horizontal mounted glass get dirty, clean it off and suck it up.

2. they are no blast shield for horizontal mounts, it was a though. Oh well.

3. try a "cleaner" powder and re-test.

4. Vertical mounts with blast shield stay cleaner, but have "more" hold over for the POA/POI?

4. Vertical mounts with blast shield stay cleaner, but have "more" hold over for the POA/POI?

Pretty good summation. As for the vertical mount and poa I loved the look of mine but when I started having ejection issues I tried a 90. I think it's ugly but the lens is so low that poa/poi are really close, holdover on the close targets is basically nothing and finding the dot got much faster. I like it

Good summation. You might try some different bullets also. Some of the coated bullets seem to leave more residue on my C-More than plated or jacketed. I carry a ziplock bag with a lens cloth with a bit of vinegar on it and wipe it now and then. A set back mount will help a little but you'll still have to clean it sooner than a regular mount with a blast shield.

Edited by IHMSA15151

Moving to a setback mount may fix it. I have a tanfog gold team v12 which is about as bad as it gets since the first pair of ports are really early after the chamber.

The original mount had a blast shield but top third of the lense still got a bit of crud.

Moved to a daa 90 mount which was not set back at all and now the lense was getting hammered. Would need cleaning every 30 rounds so i made it a habit after each stage to clean it. Daa make a nice cleaning cloth in a little pouch with a clip. I then got a small perfume sample spray (5ml) and refilled it with a product called Ajax Citrix (tip from a local shooter). One spray onto the cloth and all crud was gone.

Then I decided to shift the mount back 1 screw hole. This meant only 3 bolts instead of 4 but it was enough to get it out of that main blast stream. Just that tiny bit further back helped a lot.

Now I've bought a cheely setback 90 mount and all will be good (all mounting holes used but set back properly).

Having the glass lower does help them get out of that blast stream if you can mount it far enough back. Still handy to keep the daa or other lense cloth with you. :)

Oh to be clear on this, the use of Bayou Bullets was a test, I am using Berry's Heavy Plate projectiles. I plan on running an additional test with Bayou and CFE to see it that is better.

I may in the future look at a set back mount just to try that out, but I will most likely just keep going to the standard plated projectile.