Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what sights on your shotgun

Rear

p23313353-4.jpg

Pat, How do you sight in with your set-up? Windage can be handled with drift, but what about elevation? I would imagine that each shotgun may require a different height front sight. How do you determine what you are going to need?

XS makes shotgun sighst that fit the rib (as seen above) they come in a 3 pack (different heights for elevation adjustment)

I like a more pronounced notch rather just the "V" so I use a round file to make it look like the one above.

In my set-up windage adjustment can be made by drifting the front and or rear to suit.

Hope that clears things up. If not ask.

XS makes shotgun sighst that fit the rib (as seen above) they come in a 3 pack (different heights for elevation adjustment)

I like a more pronounced notch rather just the "V" so I use a round file to make it look like the one above.

In my set-up windage adjustment can be made by drifting the front and or rear to suit.

Hope that clears things up. If not ask.

Pat, two more things.... 1. Do you have a part number for the 3 Pack? I cannot find it on their website. 2. What height do you use for the front site? I imagine any pistol would site would work. Dawson? I only ask because I have some .180 Dawson STI cuts laying around.

I have yet to find them on the XS website. I have had to call.

I have had god luck with the Caspian front. 0.160" high, but I would use a 0.180" if it were on the bench at hand.

How do you determine the best spot to place the rear sight? Is there a predetermined distance you like to use?

I have yet to find them on the XS website. I have had to call.

I have had god luck with the Caspian front. 0.160" high, but I would use a 0.180" if it were on the bench at hand.

The sight description does not say anything about 3 rear sights. The set is SG-3001-1. This is the plain front, not tritium.

https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993617&CAT=8263

Rem/Benelli Vent Rib Installation - Standard Dot Shotgun Express Sights

Gunsmithing Required

Item: SG-3001-1 Back Ordered
Manufacturer:XS Sight Systems, Inc.

XS Shotgun Express Sights

Now you can have the same great "Flash Sight" picture as our handgun sights on your Vent Rib Shotgun.

Features:
  • Great for turkey hunting or Action sports
  • Lets you take those long shots with confidence
  • Standard Dot White front sight
  • Three different height White Stripe rear sights
  • Will fit on Vent Rib Benellis and Remingtons (Gunsmithing required)

https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993617&CAT=8263

Rem/Benelli Vent Rib Installation - Standard Dot Shotgun Express Sights

Gunsmithing Required

Item: SG-3001-1 Back Ordered

Manufacturer:XS Sight Systems, Inc.

XS Shotgun Express Sights

Now you can have the same great "Flash Sight" picture as our handgun sights on your Vent Rib Shotgun.

Features:
  • Great for turkey hunting or Action sports
  • Lets you take those long shots with confidence
  • Standard Dot White front sight
  • Three different height White Stripe rear sights
  • Will fit on Vent Rib Benellis and Remingtons (Gunsmithing required)

That is the 3 rear / 1 front sight set. If you call XS they sell the rear sight individually (you can select from a variety of heights starting at .090". These sights are generally set in a dovetail of .050" deep so keep that in mind when selecting or installing)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone mounted a very shallow V sight into the receiver instead of in the rib for a Mossberg JM Pro? Any suggestions for a shallow V sight that would work in the receiver. Is the Mossberg receiver material thick enough to mill/machine a dove tail groove to install a shallow V sight?

SMSI look me up over in Italy and you can check out my 10-22 flip up sight first hand. I know I have posted all sorts of pictures of it, and a bit of searching might just bring them up. In short, yes they are a very viable option.

• 1 month later...

I recently installed a 10/22 rear sight, just over an inch ahead of the receiver at the base of the rib.

I'm using a hiviz front sight, which is very low on the rib so I had to file most of the rear sight down to get zero.

It shoots really well with bird or slugs and I was surprised how much easier slug hits were, right out to 100yds, and I can fold it down out of the way if I want to.