Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Number of Round in Your Mags

Joe

What I mean is if the match calls for six and a mandatory reload, do you load 7 in the mag or fill it up?

Do you always carry the same number of mags?  Do you load all of them even though you may not use them?

If you use a mag to strip a round to load your gun to capacity does it go back in the carrier?  Or do you have a 'special' mag for that and it goes somewhere else?

Since I'm shooting L10 I'm leaning toward loading all the mags, 5 of them, using one of them to strip a round and then replacing it in the carrier as the last mag I'll reach for.

One more question. :D  Is five enough for most L10 Matches.  What is the most you ever seen required?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe  

Uh, well, depends.  If a stage has six round strings as seperate strings or with required reloads I will usually use 8 rd. mags.  I just like the way they feel when reloading.  But they will have 8 rds in them, not just 6 or seven. I might even start with a 10 rounder (you just never know what can go wrong) and reload with an 8.

I don't carry every mag I own to each string.  One or two more than I should need though.

As far as the stripper round, I guess I do what your doing.  The mag that is now one round down goes to the back of the line.  

I would think 5 mags is enough for most any stage.  But as soon as you think it is enough you'll run into a goofy stage where you wish you had 10!  The problem isn't round count on the stage but where are the smartest places to reload.  Some of our club matches I never pull a 10 round mag out of the bag.  It is 4, 6, or 7 rounds and get going, so you reload.

Hope this helped.

Al

I have a system that never changes,I go to the line with the same mags always full. I even have specific mags I start with,2nd,3rd and so on. I never have a question in my mind about my mags being ready.

After I am finished with a stage,I go and empty every mag (that was removed from my belt),empty it,clean (if needed) and then reload them. I do it before I do anything else.

Kind of anal,but I am always ready to go for the next stage.

After going to a stage with a partialy loaded mag (more than once) I started this routine.

Steve

Here's my take on it: (in order of your questions)

• -Load'em up!  If the Course of Fire calls for 6-reload-6, what happens if you miss one or two shots?  What if you get a mis-fire...or need to clear a jam?  You may need those extra rounds.
    -It's better to have more mags than not enough....
    Example: Last week I "only needed" two mags, well I have this funky habit of dumping a mag when I sprint from a box.  I ran out of ammo!  Carry more than you need.
    -Question #3/4: I use high-cap mags loaded to 10+1 so I don't use a feeder-mag.
    -Five should be plenty, most courses don't run over 40 rds.  But get another 5 just in case

Another thing, the force required to seat full mags is greater than the force required to seat downloaded mags.  You should get used to seating them while at full capacity.  

For my L10 gun (singlestack) I have eight 8-round mags and four 10 round mags..I usually keep five on my belt, one in the gun and my feeder mag in my back pocket. I load up all my mags, and its easy to carry five, usually have them in my pouches when i am on the line.

I shoot limited 10 exclusively, and I always load up all mags. TDean had some excellent points as to why, I would further add to that, if you only charge your mags with 6 or 7 rds. what happens if you accidentally use this mag on a subsequent stage that requires a fully charged mag?  Nothing worse than having to do a standing reload on a stage due to lack of ammo.  The key is to be prepared for any eventuality.

Take the stripper mag and put it in your pocket.  Have all mags on your belt fully charged and ready to go.  If you always prepare the same way, you reduce the possibility of stage "surprises".

With 10 rd mags you can't have too many. You WILL miss a mag change occasionally and it is much faster to grab another one off your belt. I usually have 6 on the belt and 1 in the back pocket for charging and emergencies. I have used all 6 in one stage before......

I always load 10 or 11 rounds into the gun when starting a stage.  Even if it's a six round start with a mandatory reload, the weight of the additional rounds facilitates the mag dropping easier.  I shoot Glocks and notice empty mags that are drop free, sometimes won't fall out freely if the gun is canted any at all.   A couple or three rounds in the mag usually helps with this problem.  I agree with having as many mags as you can carry.  You never know when one will fall out, get hooked on a door frame and be gone, etc.  I carry six mags.  I start with one in the gun and five on the belt.  Shooting production makes carrying this many difficult but, like SS, I also have seen times when I've needed them all.   Even though all stages are supposed to be 8 round friendly, I've seen high round count field courses, that even though were 8 round friendly, had some targets that could be engaged from more than one position, so this changed the way the stage should be shot if shooting Lim-10 or production as compared to limited, hence the need for sometimes more mags than just that number needed to complete the course from a shot count perspective.  I won't carry 6 mags for a 12 round stage however, but I will have at least one extra mag on me....just in case.

I always load my mags to full capacity.

I carry 4 on my belt , if there are no needs to run from box to box, I'll load the first round with the third magazine I carry, then replace it and put the last  mag in the gun (For us, in France we runs 18+1 rds ).

If I have to run, I"ll secure my mag holders with the tension screw and take one more magazine . . .

So I'll have four on my belt and one in the gun.

After a stage, always clean the mags you dropped and check all others for capacity.

DVC

Julien

Quote: from Singlestack on 6:54 am on Jan. 14, 2002

...You WILL miss a mag change occasionally and it is much faster to grab another one off your belt...

That's interesting.  It's hard for me to understand that concept.  But it must be true 'cause TGO himself did that at area1.  He missed his magwell, shouted "shit", dropped it and went for another mag off his belt.

Could someone esssplain'dis to me........

Why is it better to go for the belt, rather than attempt to re-insert the same mag?

When I was shooting IPSC w/ a single stack (before limited 10) I always used the same mags - fully loaded. At first we used Wilson 10rounders - then switched to MecGar I think.

The premiss was building consistency in how the gun felt when you drew it, as well as when you were reloading the gun.

Now I shoot IDPA so it doesn't matter - but I would reccommend using the same style mag - and always using them loaded to the hilt.

This should also help to make sure mags work all the time - both fully loaded and half way through.

JB

• 1 month later...
Guest TXAG93

I load my P-16 mags full every time.  I carry four on me at all times.  I get use to the feel of a full mag and how the gun shoots with it full.  I also like knowing I have more than enough rounds to complete a stage.  Never know when you are going to drop a mag when moving.  Nothing worse than needing 3 mags and reaching for that last one and.... it isn't there.  It is on the ground 10 ft. away!  I never carry less than 4 mags and all loaded with 20rds. each.  that is 80 rds.  you never need that many but it is nice to have them and you just get use to the feel fo a full mag.  LOAD THEM UP!  ALL OF THEM!

(Edited by TXAG93 at 6:13 pm on Mar. 2, 2002)

hmm.. I tend to download my super mags to 16 or 18 if I know I won't need them stuffed full-- they seem to work a little more reliably that way (or I think they do, and it gives me more confidence ).  I also recently took a mag pouch off my belt, so it's down to three.  That cuts down on lugging extra weight around and lets me angle the pouches better.

(Edited by shred at 4:05 pm on Mar. 4, 2002)

But I'm still confused, if the philosophy of the sport is "Shoot 'em as you see 'em," why can't I knock down stage props to help me see and shoot the targets a little faster?

You want to destroy the stage props and you actually want to know why it isn't allowed?

(Edited by kbear38S at 12:13 pm on Mar. 7, 2002)