ck arms metal grip

Mike21STI

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Talked to Matt and played with them briefly at SHOT. He said the aggressiveness goal was to land in between the standard and aggressive of PT line (SV). Felt really nice and I do like the look of the checking a little better.

It would be interesting to see what CK has to offer from a metal grip perspective. I have the PT smooth Stainless grip on two of my limited guns and like them a lot. I prefer to use skate tape to add extra friction where needed so that is why I chose to get the smooth grip over one of their textured models. A local shooter has a PT Stainless grip with the aggressive texture and that is WAY too aggressive for my liking. It actually hurts if I grip the gun with my normal shooting grip pressure. If that makes me a wimp I guess that's what I am.

So far the PT grips have performed great with no issues or failures. I am good at breaking stuff, so if it can break, I will probably break it. We will see how it goes once I get a significant amount of lead down the pipe with the PT grips.

One thing that I did find, on accident actually, was using the SV version of the grip T-Nuts were better. The STI version of the grip T-Nuts would cave in bending the "T" portion of the nut pretty easily after not much use or if you go crazy tightening them. I found some SV Grip T-Nuts in the vendor tent at one of the major matches I went to so I figured I would give them a try as they looked slightly different in how they were made. I am happy to report that the SV grip T-Nuts have held up great for many thousands of rounds without bending or loosening up like the STI ones. I don't know what makes the SV T-Nuts better than the STI ones, but they do work better in my guns.

To add to what Cha-lee pointed out, my aggressive grip is a little more aggressive than what I'm finding is my preference for a grip. At the time I wasn't into grip tape and had heard the normal PT was not as aggressive as people wanted so I went with the aggressive grip. Over the last couple months I have been making the grip less aggressive in the areas that had to much grip for me. The nice thing with the aggressive is you have the option to do this and once it's done to your liking it can be blasted and look new again.

The hardest part is mentally getting over taking a file and paper to such an awesome piece of machining. My next order from PT was for a plain stainless as I didn't see the point in paying the difference in price. I don't know which one will end up staying on my primary gun but both grips are awesome. I also second the issue of getting additional grip T nuts, in plastic grips the STI ones are fine but with a metal grip the first time you go "just a little tighter" you'll be holding a paper weight until the man in brown shows up.

The biggest potential issue I see with the CK is the proprietary parts. Time will tell how much work is needed to fit another magwell, MSH or release to the grip but it is the limiting factor on whether people choose it over the other metal grips on the market. I'm sure the part will be quality but the trade off in choices in magwell, release, and MSH may be too limiting to the overall design to gain a wide following in the custom smith world. SVI has been able to do it but their business model is to sell custom assemblies not spec parts.

It's a cool looking grip that I would try if I knew more about the limitations of the design. Also with the introduction of CK slides it will be interesting to see where this all goes and what the master plan is. Has anyone used a CK slide yet?

I just heard back from CK arms, they said that the grip is compatible with the SVI trigger, it comes with its own mag release, their magwell attaches like an SVI does. The MSH is a standard 2011 MSH but it's made out of metal.

Edited by Mike21STI

That's good to hear about the MSH. Did they say the magwell is the same or it just attaches similarily to SVI? My hang up would still come from only having one size and shape of available magwell for the grip. People like options that's why there are probably 6-8 magwell options currently on the market and they all fit the dimensions of an STI plastic grip. That is all fine and well if the proprietary grip manufacturer offers their own line of comparable sizes and shapes to the others on the market that fit their new dimensioned grip but until they do that it will be harder for people to jump onboard knowing the are stuck with the only one size, shape, weight or magwell. Hopefully I'm misunderstanding whether it just comes with a magwell, or that is the only one that will work on the grip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's good to hear about the MSH. Did they say the magwell is the same or it just attaches similarily to SVI? My hang up would still come from only having one size and shape of available magwell for the grip. People like options that's why there are probably 6-8 magwell options currently on the market and they all fit the dimensions of an STI plastic grip. That is all fine and well if the proprietary grip manufacturer offers their own line of comparable sizes and shapes to the others on the market that fit their new dimensioned grip but until they do that it will be harder for people to jump onboard knowing the are stuck with the only one size, shape, weight or magwell. Hopefully I'm misunderstanding whether it just comes with a magwell, or that is the only one that will work on the grip.

They said attaches like the SVI. Not sure if the SVI is compatible with.

I just went and purchased a SVI grip... at the end of the day it came to $750 including their xl magwell, msh, trigger and mag release, I think the double-undercut adds to the price as well.

the CK ones look awesome, but the wait time was too long for me,

if I ever start to piece together a 6" gun i'll probably go CK for grip and frame,

Nitrohuck> I hope you realize that the SVI Grips are not "Drop In" fit to STI frames. Machining is needed to make an SVI Steel Grip to fit onto an STI Frame. I hope you have a knowledgeable gunsmith close by that can fit it correctly.

Nitrohuck> I hope you realize that the SVI Grips are not "Drop In" fit to STI frames. Machining is needed to make an SVI Steel Grip to fit onto an STI Frame. I hope you have a knowledgeable gunsmith close by that can fit it correctly.

Thanks for the heads up Cha-lee, I think (hope) that SVI already has that covered,

I was told via the SVI website and via phone that if I was ordering a grip for an STI frame to specify that in the order details and they would take that into mind...

I figured it wouldn't be a perfect drop in, some stoning might be needed but hoping it is a relatively close fit.

Hello: That is a very cool looking grip. Does anyone know what it weights? Thanks, Eric

I'm wondering the same thing, mainly to decipher if it's IDPA legal. Must not weigh more than 2oz over a polymer grip.

Hello: That is a very cool looking grip. Does anyone know what it weights? Thanks, Eric

I'm wondering the same thing, mainly to decipher if it's IDPA legal. Must not weigh more than 2oz over a polymer grip.

Not sure that rule applies. Technically you can buy the pistol in that configuration as long as it meets the 43 oz rule it should be good to go, no? If not then would any of the SVI pistols be good to go?

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10930863_884739521576910_3944085348159401871_n.jpg?oh=2c173934a3ac4fc74f53e6bf2f496f49&oe=555759AC

In this pic what type of thumb safety is that?? It could just be the angle or flash but it looks like there is more going on there

Not sure that rule applies. Technically you can buy the pistol in that configuration as long as it meets the 43 oz rule it should be good to go, no? If not then would any of the SVI pistols be good to go?
Yea i think you must be confused.. Short dust cover, and the gun makes weight, you are good to go. There is not even a "factory" requirement since single action guns are for ESP or CDP only.

Has anyone been given a realistic timeframe on when these bad boys will be available? Just looking for what someone's been told not any guesses on it.....

Side note, we've been working diligently on a new study and development of a "gunsmith to actual time" conversion factor (GTA) I can't tell you all the specifics or details yet but its being led by a team from NASA and MIT and is being supplemented by the best quantum mechanics minds from around the globe. The project has been backed and given basically unlimited funding with the current theory and hypothesis being that, understanding "gunsmith time", (now commonly referred to as just GT) is the missing link in our advancement and understanding of quantum physics. The current belief of those involved in these advanced studies is that developing the ability to accurately predict GT will open doors into the next millennia of science and are predicting it to be the most significant discovery in history. This missing link is predicted to unlock capabilities to such things as teleportation, psychokinetic abilities (mind reading), perpetual motion, and time travel.

So fire up that delorean baby we're making a stop in 2011 to bet on the Cards winning the series at 999/1 odds, and on to 2006 to buy a couple munitions factories. Hehe

I believe they are being reserved for CK Arms / Freedom Gunworks builds as of now. Bobby did say that they would be putting them on the FGW team guns to further test them. I'm having them put on my new build but won't see it for 6 months or so.

What kind of wait time are you expecting ordering from SV? (Thinking I'm going to order one myself, but I don't like waiting 6-12 months or anything like that.)

I just went and purchased a SVI grip... at the end of the day it came to $750 including their xl magwell, msh, trigger and mag release, I think the double-undercut adds to the price as well.

the CK ones look awesome, but the wait time was too long for me,

if I ever start to piece together a 6" gun i'll probably go CK for grip and frame,