Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 mags rattle when fully loaded

Sporky

140 mm tubs, TTI guts and base pads. When I get them loaded to 20 or 21.....there seems to be a bullet that is rattling in two of the 4 that I have.

Anyone have a clue why that is happening?

Thanks in advance

My Rescomp tube with TTI follower, basepad and spring rattles with 21 rounds. It doesn't rattle with 20 (for me)

regular STI mags with Dawson basepad, Grams spring and followers rattles sometimes with 20, but not 19.

it is what it is......

I recal my P-16 limited rattled with the DP base 20 rounds reloadabel but never have any issue with them.

I tried to load them slow and smack the base on my knee every few rounds but they still rattled.

If they work I don't think you need to worry but I know it is in your mind and hard to get it out been there

+1 on totally normal as long as they otherwise function normally. A no bueno cause of rattle is when a round slipped past the follower and is flopping around in tube. Happens with low profile followers. Dead give away is you won't be able to load mag to normal full capacity.

How does a round get under the follower?

With the really low profile followers used to maximize capacity.

When the round immediay above the follower gets lower than the dents in the side of the mag it sneaks past and presto!

I'm sure there is more to it, I'm not a professional mag tuner so

3 out of 4 of my 140mm STI mags with Dawson S.N.L base pads and followers that hold 20 rattle when loaded to capacity. They work fine and I haven't had any malfunctions because of it. I even have Sig P226 mags that will get to rattling when they are loaded full. Shouldn't be an issue for you.

My first mag rattles also with the TTI followers and springs but allows me 21 in first mag and I barney the first round to start with 22 rds. All they do is run and have never had any issues with them. But it does sound a lil funny hearing them rattle. They are also tuned mags.

My first mag rattles also with the TTI followers and springs but allows me 21 in first mag and I barney the first round to start with 22 rds. All they do is run and have never had any issues with them. But it does sound a lil funny hearing them rattle. They are also tuned mags.

I've heard of folks able to load 21 reloadable rounds in a 2011 mag, but not many tell you what combination they use to allow 21 reloadable rounds in the mag. What kinda voodoo does it take?