Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G19/G34 upgrades... Salient? Zev?

johnson184

So my first handgun was a Glock19 that I've been using for years in stock configuration. Just snagged a RMR and intend on placing it on a G34 MOS as soon as they come out in stores. That said... I'm interested in using the 34 for general range use and possibly for 3 Gun as I'm not a USPA/IDP competition shooter. After doing a lot of research today, it seems most recommend at a bare minimum to upgrade a trigger and magwell/extended base plates for the G34.

Seems most everyone recommends or thinks very highly of Zev, but I also came across several people who swear by Salient and their flat triggers. Just how great is Salient and their services? I'm using my stock G19 as my carry gun... and the prices for their Tier 1 upgrade and matchfit/fluted barrels is around $2500 if I supply my G19. Kind of an eye opening price that I'd have to dip into funds I had set aside for a 1911 and a suppressor for my AR.

Since I've only ever used my guns in stock configuration and I don't even have the G34 yet, I'm hoping you guys could guide me. Advice? Feedback? Everything would be really appreciated!

My first piece of advice... Get involved in IDPA/USPSA ... And do that for at minimum five or six matches... At that point you will have a better idea of what it is YOU want in a firearm. I can tell you that the slide mounted optic Glock mod is super cool to 'mall ninjas'... But competitive shooters crack up at the guys with kits and flashlights on their guns whilst playing a game.

But, the knowledge gleaned from a few matches with people who really know how to pull the trigger will change your entire approach to pistols. If you like Glocks, awesome... The list of possibilities is massive... I could build two BA limited/esp g34/35's for less than the tier one upgrade.

If you want to waste money, go nuts, that trigger looks cool, but I'll tell you what, when you are out there at a match, you could be shooting a turd, if you can shoot it well, you'll get props... If you have a pretty, shiny, 'operator' sidearm and shoot like a nancy, well, then you earned the looks.

And I'm not trying to bash, I love me some churched up Glocks, my comp guns are pretty over the top, but I was like you once, and didn't know much, and wasted a LOT of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DreGarciaTAT2

Before spending $2,500 on a Glock upgrade, you need to learn how to shoot. Take lessons from a USPSA Grand Master, become proficient with the fundamentals: stance, grip sight picture and trigger, then shoot at least 2 dozen matches. By that time you will have saved the $2,500 because you will know that magic gizmos are no substitute for the fundamentals.

Get the 34 and shoot it for 6 months w/out any mods. By then you will know what (if anything) you need. Don't fall into the equipment race trap as a noob.

Please don't spend your hard-earned money on snake oil, mall ninja, operator-as-f*** junk.

Edited by wtturn

Like the others have said, don't jump into anything before you have had the chance to try things in a competition setting, you will learn very quickly what you need and don't need.

But definitely get the 34, it is a great gun to have - I run one for USPSA and 3 gun, mainly with Zev components. The new MOS model with a red dot will be a nice option, both for a fun range toy, and coupled with a ported barrel, a good 3 gun open option.

As far as Salient vs Zev, it really comes down to personal preference. I prefer Zev, mainly because they have a functioning website where you can view and order products; unlike Salient where you have to rely on random photos and Facebook posts to see their products, then you can only order by phone. And it always seems that Zev is a little cheaper.

You just asked that question in a uspsa oriented forum. I don't really see the point of a magwell unless you are shooting in competitions. Also, a mw will bump you out of a lot of stock divisions where the glock really holds its own. I am not recommending against that. If you want a range toy, go for it. Just be honest and realize you are buying it for looks/fun/cool-factor.

A stock g34, a new slide lock (for me at least), a couple aftermarket springs, and 30 min polishing internals will give you a really good gun. (You did replace the sights, right? )

If you do go the aftermarket route, also consider the g35 as it gives you more options for shooting major, and more room at low velocity for suppressor use. It also shots softer at minor pf.

Actually just stock sights on my G19 lol. I'll actually be taking a Travis Haley handgun course soon so I'm hoping to learn loads from it. Guess I'll hold off on any Zev/Salient/etc. upgrades until I finish that class. Maybe the G34 MOS will be available by then lol.

I was actually recommended this forum by a friend, and I didn't realize it was geared towards IDPA/USPSA shooting. Maybe in the future I'll have enough time to try out for those, but I'm not too concerned with keeping my gun under certain competition restrictions for that reason. My G19 is my carry handgun, but it'd be nice to have some modifications if they'll improve the gun. The G34 idea is completely for fun on the range and maybe 3Gun if I try that later this year.

There is a ton of good advice on this forum, but a lot of the gear recommendations revolve around the competition sports, and what you can achieve within their rules.

I have noticed a wide gap between tactical style hear and uspsa style gear. If you are considering the tactical side, the terms seems to be toward the smaller glocks with milled slides. The longer barrel does not help with sight radius with a dot. The only thing you are getting is added velocity, at the cost of concealability and weight.

On the competition side, the more competitive option is an optic mounted to the frame. You would also want a compensator, and many will say a glock will never be competitive in open. With the extra length of a comp, the Glock 22 becomes a good option, especially with leo trade ins starting around 300 bucks.

If you are interested in mounting your rmr on a glock, I think a g23 might be a nice option. Either buy a g23 and have a gun Smith mill it for the rds, or look at some of the after market slides zev makes that come pre milled for an rmr. I am recommending the. 40 because you can get a conversion bbl to shoot 9, but not the other way, and the $150 bbl is nothing compared to the cost of the slide and optic. It also gives you a great platform for a suppressor if you are into that. .

Edited by b1gcountry

I had Salient work on my G19. The work is great IMO. I didn't spend $2500 on it either. Their trigger system is by far the best I have used or tried, they installed the flat trigger on mine. Their grip reduction is phenomenal! The feel and texture are outstanding. Finally I had them do a match barrel in it and I couldn't be happier. I do compete with it but not in IDPA or the like.

You can always get them to do some work on it and then see if you want the full tier package later. It has been over a year in its current configuration and thinking I might finish it with a tier 2 upper and multi cam finish.

It is easy to order from them just have to give them a call or talk with them on FB. Nope, no website but who cares when I get the chance to talk directly to a live person.

If you live in my area you are welcome to put some rounds down range and see how it runs.

Edited by Vipers

Actually just stock sights on my G19 lol. I'll actually be taking a Travis Haley handgun course soon so I'm hoping to learn loads from it. Guess I'll hold off on any Zev/Salient/etc. upgrades until I finish that class. Maybe the G34 MOS will be available by then lol.

I was actually recommended this forum by a friend, and I didn't realize it was geared towards IDPA/USPSA shooting. Maybe in the future I'll have enough time to try out for those, but I'm not too concerned with keeping my gun under certain competition restrictions for that reason. My G19 is my carry handgun, but it'd be nice to have some modifications if they'll improve the gun. The G34 idea is completely for fun on the range and maybe 3Gun if I try that later this year.

The 4 fundamentals still apply, whether it's carry or competition. For me OEM Glock sights suck, and I go with Dawson/Heines for competiton and Trijicon night sights for carry. I got my first carry Glock in 1992, a G19. only addition was the Qwik Grip, sold by Lone Wolf now, all else stock.

If you haven't bought the G34 yet, I'd strongly suggest contacting Taran Tactical Innovations and seeing if it's possible to purchase an upgraded G34 directly from them. The benefit to purchasing directly from them is that you only have to pay shipping once (them to you) rather than you buy locally and then ship to a gunsmith and back.

I shoot a TTI Mod'd G17 and can't tell you how awesome the trigger is or how amazing the grip resurfacing and shaping is. You need to feel it if for no other reason than my hand is different from your hand. BUT The benefit to a TTI Glock is that they strike the perfect balance between keeping it Glock for reliability while making the necessary upgrades to make it competition worthy. Unfortunately, too many "upgrades" from other "Glock shops" make the gun less reliable which outweighs any appreciable increase in accuracy, at least by my standards.

Just my $.02.

$2500 for a Glock upgrade is absurd. plenty of upgrade parts on the market for a glock (i have used zev products with great results). get to the range shoot the gun talk with the other shooters before you decide on any upgrades. a year from now you may decide you want a different pistol for 3 gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the OP said he would want to use the 34 in 3gun at some point, he has to bear in mind that mounting an RMR on it puts him in Open Class. That means he would also have to have a mag-fed shotgun or X-rail to be competitive. The equipment costs would be daunting. Then he would find out his $2500 would have been better spent on a double-stack STI anyway.

I would suggest Warren Sevigny sights on the 34 and tons of dryfire. $2500 would buy an AR, a good 1-4 optic and a shotgun and he could shoot TacOps immediately.

If you haven't bought the G34 yet, I'd strongly suggest contacting Taran Tactical Innovations and seeing if it's possible to purchase an upgraded G34 directly from them. The benefit to purchasing directly from them is that you only have to pay shipping once (them to you) rather than you buy locally and then ship to a gunsmith and back.

I shoot a TTI Mod'd G17 and can't tell you how awesome the trigger is or how amazing the grip resurfacing and shaping is. You need to feel it if for no other reason than my hand is different from your hand. BUT The benefit to a TTI Glock is that they strike the perfect balance between keeping it Glock for reliability while making the necessary upgrades to make it competition worthy. Unfortunately, too many "upgrades" from other "Glock shops" make the gun less reliable which outweighs any appreciable increase in accuracy, at least by my standards.

Just my $.02.

Like ?