Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 World Speed Shooting Championships (THE Steel Challenge)

danjordan78

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larry, then we need to find a suitable range in those areas that have at least 8 properly sized bays for the match,and more bays to practice, a dedicated range staff that is up to speed, and enough lodging and entertainment for those that whine about that stuff. We also need a match director that has run a national level match and support ( financial, support staff, etc.) and the ability to plan a year or two in advance and be able to submit the plan to the BOD.

Excellent point Doug. It's easy to bitch and moan, but finding a range and staff that will and can put on a match like this is all together a different issue. Maybe we could convince the folks at Parma to put it on?

Edited by IHMSA15151

I'm thinking of going to the match. Can someone chime in on mag restrictions? Is it only 10 rounders? Not sure if I can even buy 10 rd. mags for my STI double stack.

Just use a mag blocker.

http://www.magazineblocks.com/magento/products/magblock-kits/pistols-3/sti-limiters.html

The modification to 10 rounds would need to be permanent for it to be legal. The CA PC is 32310 that covers "High Capacity" magazines, this is updated from the old CA PC numbering 12020.

If you have questions please read these links.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124709

I'm thinking of going to the match. Can someone chime in on mag restrictions? Is it only 10 rounders? Not sure if I can even buy 10 rd. mags for my STI double stack.

You can buy 10 round mags for your STI. It is hard to tell from the pic, but they have ribs running down the sides that basically turn the into single stack mags. A $325 investment for 5 mags for one match.....

http://oakhillguns.com/magazines/sti2011mags/sti-126mm-9mm-mag-1845.html

You can buy 10 round mags for your STI. It is hard to tell from the pic, but they have ribs running down the sides that basically turn the into single stack mags. A $325 investment for 5 mags for one match.....

This is true but they would also be good for matches in NJ and NY

I've heard folks that have disassemble their high cap mags for travel. Keeping parts separate and then reassemble for match and disassemble again...

Wow, that would be a lot of cash just to shoot one match. Don't see me traveling to NY or NJ anytime soon either. Maybe I'll just shoot rim fire.

Just use a mag blocker.

http://www.magazineblocks.com/magento/products/magblock-kits/pistols-3/sti-limiters.html

The modification to 10 rounds would need to be permanent for it to be legal. The CA PC is 32310 that covers "High Capacity" magazines, this is updated from the old CA PC numbering 12020.

If you have questions please read these links.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124709

So what happened to all the mags that were in California before this law? Did they have to be turned in. I use to live there may years ago. Would I need receipts to prove they were older than the law?

"Permanent" as applied to magazines modified to 10 rounds is not well defined and some alterations such as rivets can be reversed once you're out of California. Lots of discussion on mags over on Calguns.net.

While I'm not a lawyer, all the discussions including ones with lawyer participation suggest that reassembling high capacity mags in CA is illegal; you don't want to go there. If you buy 10 round mags and don't want to keep them you can probably resell as "once used" to one of us Kalifornia denizens.

live here and shoot here never had a problem

Edited by steelshtr

I live and shoot here in Ca the mags are ok to have and use you just can't buy or sell them here I shoot nothing but STI open and limited

Do not listen to this please. It is sad when someone who lives in the state does not know the laws of their own state and cities, but attempts to give legal advice on that which they do not know. Possession of magazines greater then 10 rounds is a crime in the city of Sunnyvale, San Francisco, and as of this year Los Angeles. There is no provision for "Grandfathered", or magazines owned legally before the year 2000 in these cities.

Once again the information you need is posted in the links I listed above.

Just in case for some reason you do not want to bother to go to the links the important information is here.

CAPC~32310. Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section

32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section

17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, commencing January 1, 2000, any

person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured,

imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for

sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine is

punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or

in the state prison.

Or in simple terms.

The age of the magazine and the age of the gun mean nothing. The critical item is possession of the magazine(s) in California before January 1, 2000.

Yes, you can go out of state and buy magazines of any capacity - but you may not bring "large-capacity magazines" back to CA - that would be importing and that can be charged as a felony. 'Importing' ALSO applies to moving here or visiting here. Buying and disassembling and bringing the magazines back to California after JAN 1, 2014 (AB 48) appears to be illegally importing a 'kit'.

Yes, you can take one of those kits you possessed in California before Jan 1, 2014 and create a 10-round magazine from the parts and some method of blocking the capacity. The modification is supposed to be 'permanent', but there is no guidance on what that means in law, regulation, or court cases. Use your best judgment!

You can have "large-capacity magazines"; except in the above listed cities, no one may give them or sell them to you in California, and you may not give or sell them to anyone else in California; the law changed to be more specific in 2014: you may not buy or receive them. This includes sales from LEO and interfamilial transfers - that can be charged as a felony.

Thanks for the translated info Pseudonym, I don't read legaleze well and your post is very helpful. Hopefully there will be enough local California folks to fill up the match. I think I'll stick to areas that allow me to use what I have. I'd have to buy some 10/22 mags as well because I use the 25 rd ones for the rifle also.

I live and shoot here in Ca the mags are ok to have and use you just can't buy or sell them here I shoot nothing but STI open and limited

Do not listen to this please. It is sad when someone who lives in the state does not know the laws of their own state and cities, but attempts to give legal advice on that which they do not know. Possession of magazines greater then 10 rounds is a crime in the city of Sunnyvale, San Francisco, and as of this year Los Angeles. There is no provision for "Grandfathered", or magazines owned legally before the year 2000 in these cities.

Just in case for some reason you do not want to bother to go to the links the important information is here.

in the state prison.

Or in simple terms.

The age of the magazine and the age of the gun mean nothing. The critical item is possession of the magazine(s) in California before January 1, 2000.

Yes, you can go out of state and buy magazines of any capacity - but you may not bring "large-capacity magazines" back to CA - that would be importing and that can be charged as a felony. 'Importing' ALSO applies to moving here or visiting here. Buying and disassembling and bringing the magazines back to California after JAN 1, 2014 (AB 48) appears to be illegally importing a 'kit'.

Yes, you can take one of those kits you possessed in California before Jan 1, 2014 and create a 10-round magazine from the parts and some method of blocking the capacity. The modification is supposed to be 'permanent', but there is no guidance on what that means in law, regulation, or court cases. Use your best judgment!

You can have "large-capacity magazines"; except in the above listed cities, no one may give them or sell them to you in California, and you may not give or sell them to anyone else in California; the law changed to be more specific in 2014: you may not buy or receive them. This includes sales from LEO and interfamilial transfers - that can be charged as a felony.

Very scary, and confusing. At the end of the day, no one cares. Used to live there, had pre-ban stuff times 1000. There are so many open shooters in Cali that started only a few years ago that it's laughable. So say what it is. No one cares. Don't give me the advice of some lawyer, or DOJ hack. No one cares-period.

I'm going to go and take my chances. Disassemble my mags during transport, and pack the pieces in separate bags. But I really hope that USPSA finds a more permanent solution in a more gun friendly state. Why put so many people in a situation they know full well is not legal. Not very responsible in my opinion. But I'm willing to stick my middle finger up to the commies in that state for this match!

I'm going because I want to shoot the Steel Challenge. I'm going for me, no one else. I'm not going to let California take the opportunity away from me either! I can really care less about supporting USPSA until they take SC seriously. I just hope Mike Foley will make some major changes when he gets there regarding it.

Hope to see some of you there...

Edited by danjordan78

Dan: I hear you & good luck at the match .... for me, as much as I'd love to shoot it I just can't risk it. Even the slightest possibly of some legal entanglments and I put my security clearance (and resulting livelihood) at risk ..... I'll just have to be content with kicking butt at the US Steel Nationals next year unless Mike can move it to a more friendly state ...

in the state prison.

Or in simple terms.

Very scary, and confusing. At the end of the day, no one cares. Used to live there, had pre-ban stuff times 1000. There are so many open shooters in Cali that started only a few years ago that it's laughable. So say what it is. No one cares. Don't give me the advice of some lawyer, or DOJ hack. No one cares-period.

I just want people to know what the laws are, what they are risking by potentially breaking the law and how to do it within the law. There is a 99.9% chance nobody will run into any issues or problems, but who wants to be that .1% that ends up loosing their guns, magazines, and catching that felony charge that prohibits you from ever owning firearms? With the new ban on magazines within the city of Los Angeles, you are hard pressed to get anywhere from LAX, and north to south without being in violation of the law. You are correct if USPSA shooters in this state were in line with the law Limited 10 would be THE division of choice, but it is not. Hell USPSA will not even enforce 3.3.1 here, though with LA City passing an absolute ban they might actually have to rethink that.

• 1 month later...

If anyone happens to read this and you're at the match please stop by stats and thank Russell Armstrong for stepping in to assist. Seems the guy running stats became ill and USPSA needed a last minute replacement. I was going to do it but Russell said he would instead. He's also the lead iOS developer for PractiScore so thank him for that as well.

Are the interim results posted anywhere? I don't see them on Practiscore.

You would think maybe they would post some stuff on the Steel Challenge Facebook page....which hasn't had a post since September 2013....or maybe even the SCSA website.

Are the interim results posted anywhere? I don't see them on Practiscore.

You would think maybe they would post some stuff on the Steel Challenge Facebook page....which hasn't had a post since September 2013....or maybe even the SCSA website.

Damn, Your Right. I just went on there.. Sept 2013 was their last post..