Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 World Speed Shooting Championships (THE Steel Challenge)

danjordan78

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this would be a good time for those who want the match to flourish and do well and be in a gun friendly state to start putting a bid packet together to give to the new board so an announcement can be made at SHOT or before.

If that doesn't happen then we will be back where we are now, with finding who is available that can put it on at the last minute......

DougC

I know of another club that proposed to hold the match before it was decided to be CA. Supposedly the deal that was signed with the range in CA is for two years, so the match couldn't change venues until that contract is over.

Wish the match was more centrally located.

And in a more gun friendly state

Always love that sentiment (NOT!). By running away and hiding, you let them win.

The West Coast Steel Championship which was held in....gasp!...Kommiefornia was the largest steel match ever.

Bring the World Speed Shooting Championship back to it's birthplace.

Wish the match was more centrally located.

And in a more gun friendly state

Always love that sentiment (NOT!). By running away and hiding, you let them win.

The West Coast Steel Championship which was held in....gasp!...Kommiefornia was the largest steel match ever.

Bring the World Speed Shooting Championship back to it's birthplace.

Being that myself and many others are not from CA and do not know or understand the laws of the state, I will not risk my freedom or hard earned money paying lawyers to keep my ass out of jail just because I misunderstood a law and got busted for an illegal mag, compensator, gun, etc.

...The West Coast Steel Championship which was held in....gasp!...Kommiefornia was the largest steel match ever...

I don't want to thread drift or take away from Jim's match - but that's not correct. For example The PSA Shootout gets 600+ competitors each year for their knock down "steel" match.

Having a World Shoot or Major match in California is not appealing to a lot of shooters outside of California. Just like having a Major match in Massachusetts or New York is not a good idea due to their state laws. With that said having a major match in a gun friendly state with proper planning makes the most sense.

California is a big State and has a lot of shooters - chances are at a big match they will draw a good number of competitors from within the state.

I really enjoy shooting steel and will travel to States like California for a match after I research their firearm laws.

My reluctance to commit to this years match has to do with the piss poor planning and lack of updates.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this match will be a success.

Edited by pmd

Having a World Shoot or Major match in California is not appealing to a lot of shooters outside of California. Just like having a Major match in Massachusetts or New York is not a good idea due to their state laws. With that said having a major match in a gun friendly state with proper planning makes the most sense.

This is also what I meant about the match being in a more gun friendly state.

Typically the outgoing President contracts for the National matches through the year after he leaves office. The idea is to not leave the new President scrambling to get stuff sorted out with only months left before the event is supposed to take place. i.e the SingleStack and Revo Nats will probably be schedule 4-5 months after the new President takes office which isn't a lot of time. Since Phil hasn't been the best about getting contracts signed until the last minute anyway, who knows what we'll end up with.

Larry, then we need to find a suitable range in those areas that have at least 8 properly sized bays for the match,and more bays to practice, a dedicated range staff that is up to speed, and enough lodging and entertainment for those that whine about that stuff. We also need a match director that has run a national level match and support ( financial, support staff, etc.) and the ability to plan a year or two in advance and be able to submit the plan to the BOD.

SInce USPSA took over the SC we don't have any of that because it is an afterthought. It is what it is.

The match was designed in CA and ran there for over 30 years. Bitching about shooting in CA is a moot point. The largest state for USPSA members is in CA. They shoot a lot of big matches in CA and a lot of our USPSA history is from CA. It is not CA's fault.

I have no problem flying to CA to shoot steel challenge or any other match, and I miss going out there for the IRC this year. CA is not the problem. If you love to shoot steel and want to compete you will go where the match is held, period.

See the above paragraph and read it again. That is the problem right now......If someone will put on the match professionally and run it well and have a great prize table we will all show up.......it is that simple....

DougC

Well said, Thank you Doug!

The Houge's will put on a good match. They have a very nice range, an experienced staff and a love of the sport. There is lots of lodging within 30 minutes of the range, not the cheapest, but not terrible. There are LOTS of good places to eat, again not the cheapest, but San Luis Obispo is a college town with a good mix of restaurants.

I also hope this match is a big success.

As for centrally located matches, anyone who has shot the Pro-Am or a National in the Tulsa swamp won't want a repeat of that misery. Travel to and from Tulsa sucked, the lodging and restaurants were nothing to write home about and did I mention the swamp? 90 degree heat and 95% humidity.

Anyone who isn't from Florida who shot the Pro-Am or Steel Challenge when it was in the Frostproof swamp won't want a repeat of that misery. Travel wasn't bad to Tampa, the lodging wasn't bad, but the 45 minute drive to the range sucked. There were plenty of good restaurants. But again 95 degree heat and 98% humidity, we prayed for the afternoon rain so we could dry off!

Come to California, maybe we can break the drought! Otherwise the November weather will be a nice sunny 70 degrees.

Edited by Ming the Merciless

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. $350 for three guns. Makes our PA State Steel Challenge Championship seem like a real bargain :unsure:

No updates on the actual WSSC website or on steelchallenge.com. Without PMD sharing the link here, how the hell are people supposed to know registration is open?

No updates on the actual WSSC website or on steelchallenge.com. Without PMD sharing the link here, how the hell are people supposed to know registration is open?

Why is this no surprise? The WSSC website still has the 2014 staff applications and a bunch of other stuff from over a year ago.

I think headquarters would be happiest if Steel Challenge just quietly went away.