Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 World Speed Shooting Championships (THE Steel Challenge)

danjordan78

as far as i'm concerned the US national championship for Steel Challenge has already been held .... last month at the Volusia County Gun & Hunt Club .... all the big boys and girls were there and Sean Berry put on a great Championship ....

the next good one is going to be the PA State SC Championship series Scott is putting on ... it's going to be epic!

cash prizes to the top shooters and a huge random draw prize table for the rank and file shooters .... doesn't get any better than that!

Edited by Nimitz

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody think the planned classification system will make any difference? Will they even implement it?

The club I shoot at puts up the official stages but is not affiliated. I guess they don't see any value in it at this point, a classification system would give some value.

assuming they implement it as planned i think it will start to make a difference. I run sanctioned SC matches at our club becuase I and many others, like the ability to have a classification. Even though its currently not used in matches it is a way to see progress. the new rimfire classification system will be huge as that is widely popular ...

and it has nothing to do with the fact that according to that new system, I'm currently sitting at 92.5% in RFPO and should get my GM card by the time it goes into effect next year ... :)

Edited by Nimitz

Does anybody think the planned classification system will make any difference? Will they even implement it?

The club I shoot at puts up the official stages but is not affiliated. I guess they don't see any value in it at this point, a classification system would give some value.

The classification system is the primary reason I renewed our affiliation with steel challenge this year. The second being it was free for steel because our USPSA guys paid the fee :).

The problem is there's not really another organization that offers a classification system so that's the big draw for me. The International Steel Shooting Association doesn't have rimfire divisions (that I'm aware of) so that's not a good replacement. NSSF Rimfire Challenge is for .22 LR only so that rules out center fire. Going the route of a "fun" steel match seems to be the way to go unless HQ pulls their heads out and gets on the stick.

I think the way for us to go forward, as a community of shooters, is to write off our current leadership at HQ. It's obvious they don't care. I've emailed Phil, Kim, and my area director with my concerns (as recently as last week) and I've yet to get even an acknowledgement from any of them. Our best best is to contact the candidates for president and let them know what we don't like and what we want them to fix if/when elected. We need to let all of them know how important steel challenge is to us and why it needs to be important to them if/when they get elected.

We have a steel league here in PA that is a huge draw. We have 7 area gun clubs that have 2 matches each for 14 matches per season. None of the matches are SCSA affiliated. The first 2 matches this season had over 150 shooters per match! Many of them are first timers for any type of competitive shooting. Steel is the gateway drug to competitive shooting. USPSA is missing a huge opportunity to get these shooting addicts to buy their good stuff and get hooked on USPSA too. So maybe HQ is just to high on their own product to realize that they can get all the kids hooked on the low-grade SCSA stuff too.

Edited by scottlep

Zack, ISSA does have rimfire divisions.

The lack of response from everyone at USPSA seems common and is pretty horrible.

My mistake. My comment was based on their web site

"Rimfire Series

We plan to develop a rimfire program down the road a ways, but it will be something we will do after we get Phase One completed. Once we have all of the basics completed, under way, and working, then programs such as a rimfire series will be getting some attention."

I guess they need to update their web site.

From what I can tell, that website hasn't been updated for quite some time, which is a shame. We have shot at two clubs that follow ISSA format and they both have rimfire classes.

I sincerely hope the ISSA takes off, but it will probably take some promotion and a website that is kept current. Right now with clubs using Practiscore for results I guess they don't need a lot of support, but a classification system and some other forms of support would be cool.

as far as i'm concerned the US national championship for Steel Challenge has already been held .... last month at the Volusia County Gun & Hunt Club .... all the big boys and girls were there and Sean Berry put on a great Championship ....

the next good one is going to be the PA State SC Championship series Scott is putting on ... it's going to be epic!

cash prizes to the top shooters and a huge random draw prize table for the rank and file shooters .... doesn't get any better than that!

Thanks Nimitz! Are you coming up for our match?

I'm not the MD, just the guy begging for the prizes and doing all the Enos and FB posts to advertise the hell out of our match. We have a great team that actually cares ALOT about our match and Steel Challenge. Neither seems to be true for the folks at USPSA HQ. Crazy how 4 guys with full time jobs (and many other volunteers come match day) can take a first year match, outsell the WSSC, get a $25,000+ prize table and sell out every match in the series just with a bit of hard work. And we even pay to shoot in our own match!

From what I can tell, that website hasn't been updated for quite some time, which is a shame. We have shot at two clubs that follow ISSA format and they both have rimfire classes.

I sincerely hope the ISSA takes off, but it will probably take some promotion and a website that is kept current. Right now with clubs using Practiscore for results I guess they don't need a lot of support, but a classification system and some other forms of support would be cool.

I reached out to Mike at ISSA and he sent some additional information about the divisions. He said there's no plans for a classification system at this point in time. I really think the outdated web site is hurting the growth of his organization.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the thread I started over on the USPSA forums the WSSC has been postponed for 2015. Apparently someone asked at the NRA show and that's what they were told.

What's really sad is the post from Bruce Gary, Area 1 director:

I have asked the USPSA president to update the Board on his current plans for the SC. I have also asked him to include the Steel Challenge committee in the process. To date, he has not honored us with a reply.

According to the thread I started over on the USPSA forums the WSSC has been postponed for 2015. Apparently someone asked at the NRA show and that's what they were told. ...

If this is true...it's pretty sad. Maybe it's time for USPSA to let go of the the Steel Challenge and find a group that really wants to run with it...

Edited by pmd

According to the thread I started over on the USPSA forums the WSSC has been postponed for 2015. Apparently someone asked at the NRA show and that's what they were told. ...

If this is true...it's pretty sad. Maybe it's time for USPSA to let go of the the Steel Challenge and find a group that really wants to run with it...

No, it's time for the membership of USPSA to take back the organization from the lazy incompetents who are running the organization into the ground. We have an absentee lame duck President who barely bothers to show up, but won't step down to let somebody else run the organization (or maybe there's no one else who will volunteer) and a headquarters staff who are too busy doing something else (be it going to the NRA convention, SHOT show, getting their nails done or going on vacation) to actually run the organization.

This years Multigun National Championship should have been renamed the "Forgotten Nationals" as USPSA had about zero participation in the match other than the RO staff. Barely any information on the USPSA Website, or the Facebook page. Pete Rensing basically had to do everything himself. The USPSA Pres showed up and shot the match, said about 10 words at the Awards (I won't say ceremony because it took place in storage barn with no PA) and left.

Steel Challenge is dying on the vine because the current leadership of USPSA just doesn't care and just barely has the minimum level of commitment to keep the lights on in the headquarters building.

Steel Challenge is dying on the vine because the current leadership of USPSA just doesn't care and just barely has the minimum level of commitment to keep the lights on in the headquarters building.

I have a feeling it isn't just SC.

The Problem is that SCSA is owned as a business. So is USPSA, so if they want to run the business into the ground they can. The membership only has a say if they can force ownerships' hand somehow. The membership is really nothing more than customers.

I have a feeling it isn't just SC.

probably was the grand plan. countless businesses were bought out by companies wary of the competition.

Copied from the Agenda posted on the USPSA web site

GENDA

USPSA BOD PHONE MEETING

MAY 12, 2015

- Direct the President to announce that the WSSC will *not* be at the previously

announced dates and location, due to failure to secure a contract with the intended

venue, so that our members have the information they need to make their plans.

- Direct the President to identify in writing any items under dispute, with specific

amounts listed and specific reasons for disputing the item, of the amounts still owed

to SUPS for 2013 and 2014 matches held at the SUPS facility, and communicate

those details to SUPS and the USPSA Board no later than Monday May 25th.

- Convene a Special Meeting on Tuesday, May 26th, to review the president's list of

disputed items and approve or reject payment for each.

- Direct the ED to pay the full outstanding amount due, above, less any monies

already paid and specific line-item amounts legitimately held to be in dispute by the

USPSA Board, no later than Wednesday May 27th.

- Direct the President to publish the agenda and minutes of the 3/31 Special Meeting

convened by the Board of Directors.

Hmmmm. So evidently HQ still owes Southern Utah Shooting Sports Park money for 2013 AND 2014?!?!?! So SUPS told them to get bent? I don't blame SUPS. That was the rumor I had heard a while back and based on this it is true. Considering this match $200 per gun to enter, where did the money go? Or is it that USPSA did such a crappy job promoting it and attendance was so low that they didn't even make enough money to cover the event? I presume that when they say monies still owed to SUPS, it probably isn't just for WSSC but for all the other majors matches held there? Again, where did all the money go if this is monies owed for multiple events? Again, a complete disgrace.