Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays

Sarge

I found that 2.8 for 147 coated and 3.4 for 124 coated, 3.6 for plated worked pretty good in all of mine. Loaded to 1.135. The 2.8 with 147's were the most accurate for me with the plated 124/125's not too far behind. Very super soft shooting.

I like regular clays for loads that barely make power factor. It works better for the heaviest bullets in any given caliber.

Since I am running low on it, I only use it for my 200g HG68 loads in .45 ACP.

I generally use Titegroup or SOLO 1000 for everything else.

Edited by himurax13

Good info guys thanks! I think I'll pass on it and get some 231/HP38 instead for a few minor loads.

If I were you I would buy as much of the clays AND the 231/HP38 as the dealer will allow. Then I would send in my wife to do the same. Then my son, neighbor, boss and finally my sister.

There was an email that went to distributors recently. The plant that makes Clays and other Hogdon powders is up and starting to ship. It stated that Australia would see backorders filled first then the states. You should start to see Clays and other Hogdon powders trickle back in before to very long.

There was an email that went to distributors recently. The plant that makes Clays and other Hogdon powders is up and starting to ship. It stated that Australia would see backorders filled first then the states. You should start to see Clays and other Hogdon powders trickle back in before to very long.

Thank goodness. I really need some regular clays. Universal clays is a good supstitute for Win 231/HP38. I already overpaid for titegroup but I don't care since its getting used.

I still have 3# of ClayDot that has held me until Clays is back in action. Depending on the price of clays when it comes back, I may still opt for ClayDot. Also picked up 8# of N320 for the long haul.

I couldn't get it to group out of my Beretta with 124gr Bayous to save my life, was like a shotgun. It sure was nice shooting, like shooting a marshmellow gun, but at 3.5gr it didn't reliably cycle my 92 with 12lb recoil and D spring and cratered pretty good (which seems to be more gun than load related). Not sure what I was doing wrong accuracy wise, switched to WSF and it was all good again. Was going to try it with 147s but I decided to save it for 45 after the lackluster performance in my only 9.

It will be good to see clays back on the dealers shelves. Keeping in mind that new production of this material has been halted for about two years, I would imagine that there is a huge backlog of existing orders. If the backlog is filled first, it could be some time before this material is available off the shelf.

I have several orders for TG, W231, AA#5 on back order for over a year now. The TG and W231 in 8 pound kegs. I realize some of this is available locally but it might give an indication as to how long before this stuff will be generally available. My guess is that Hodgdon will package clays in 1 pound canisters for the foreseeable future.

BYW, on this day 2 years ago (1/29/13), Powder Valley started it's temporary policy of not accepting back orders. Good luck.

Edited by firewood

I've been shooting 3.5 gr. Clays with 115 gr FMJ and a COL of 1.100. I'm wanting to load up some JHP of the same weight but can't find any load data that would give me the COL with that projectile. The new JHP bullet are Federal Hi Shok and are .020 longer than my FMJ. Am I okay with just increasing my COL by .020? I know the Clays is touchy at higher pressures so I'm worried about seating too deep.

Edited by Azpred