Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting the same brass?

jhugh4

Just curious to know who shoots the same brass over and over again? I have about 2000 pieces of 9mm brass that I have shot probably 4-5 times each. I am starting to notice my seating depths are becoming very inconsistent. I reload on a RCBS pro2000 and use a redding seating die. Is it the brass being shot so many times that is leading to inconsistent seating depths or is it my die set up? Also, what about 40sw brass, do you all shoot it over and over again? Thanks.

I've been shooting some of my 38 special brass for 3 years. You don't lose much with moonclips. I've got to have better than 20 loadings on some of it.

I no longer keep it sorted in batches so I don't know exactly how many times it's been loaded. I do get more cracked cases than I used to.

I wouldn't worry about 4-5 loadings, we're not shooting rifles here.

I'm not sure why the seating depth is becoming inconsistent. I load 9mm and 40 until something is visually wrong with the case. For 9mm, I've got about 2000 cases that are on their 12th load and they still run just fine (not loading major power factor).

my seating depths are becoming inconsistent.

As mentioned above, I shoot brass (9mm, .38, .45, .41) until

it splits.

You didn't mention:

1. how inconsistent are your seating depths (OAL's?)

OAL's are usually off by a little bit - how large a

difference are you seeing?

2. how hot are your loads?

3. seeing any other signs of wear on the brass?

4. any loss of accuracy? :cheers:

In my 9mm im loading about 133-135 PF and my OAL is 1.125(my cz loves this depth). My loads usually vary about +/- 0.001 to 0.004. Then there is the occasional rounds that are 1.132 and down to 1.190. I guess I was most curious to know if everyone else's seating depths vary like mine do. When you hear people talking about OAL they never mention if It varies for them. How will inconsistent seating depth affect accuracy in pistols? As of now I don't feel like Im losing accuracy but don't want to make it worse. I also always tumble my brass with walnut before I reload.

Thanks for the replies. Helps a lot.

A variance of .001-.004 is nothing. My bullets vary more than that. When you get a 1.132 or 1.19, pull the bullets and measure them. Are you using the same brand brass? They could also be the first or last load through when the press doesn't have all stations full. Not sure if that happens on an RCBS, but it definitely happens on a Dillon progressive.

I shoot it until it splits or I lose it, whichever comes first.

Alan~^~

Same here. Although I usually come home with more brass than I left the house with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly

Reloading the regular 9mm, you can go virtually forever. With one caveat - if you are loading hot, stay away from the Winchester brass - I have a collection of about 50 blown cases, all Win, while no other brand had this problem.

Ideally, after some use you would run it through the Case Pro to remove the bulge.

9, 357, 44 & 45 until the brass 'dies'. Rifle (30 cal) gets 5 reloads max. as most of it is for a Garand.

Except for the 44 nothing is loaded hot...the 44 is at max. to shoot through my fun gun (Desert Eagle).

Its all different kinds of brass. Im to impatient to sort head stamps.

What do you do while you watch TV?

Sorting brass isn't such a big chore if you do it each time you get back from the range. You do look for damaged brass or other calibers mixed in don't you?