Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I know it sounds dumb...

mulrick

Reload your mags...

I stepped up to the start box this weekend with only one fully loaded mag. Unfortunately for me it was the first mag that was loaded so I didn't feel the difference when I got the LAMR Command.

Sooo long story short, first mag had 20, next had 4, number 3 had 15, and number 4 had 7. Course of fire was 38.

Lets just say I finished but not with a lot of swearing, racking of the slide and unintentional "click" no boom.

Moral of the story don't get sidetracked talking to someone when you are reloading your mags. Had that not been the case I might have had a good day...

Nice.

A local gm last year did it with no mags. Unloaded start and didn't notice until the beep. 145 points down on the first stage of a 2 day match.

Did this guy not have any friends?!? If I'd have noticed I would've said something and then started with the jokes!

Nice.

A local gm last year did it with no mags. Unloaded start and didn't notice until the beep. 145 points down on the first stage of a 2 day match.

Did this guy not have any friends?!? If I'd have noticed I would've said something and then started with the jokes!

Right??? I feel like as an RO I would have to ask, "So you planning on shooting this all with the force or what?"

I might have had a good day...

You spent the day at a match. :bow:

That means You Had a GREAT Day. :cheers:

And, learned something, too.

This is so true... Sometimes I take for granted how awesome it is to be spending a day shooting a match :cheers:

Nice.

Right??? I feel like as an RO I would have to ask, "So you planning on shooting this all with the force or what?"

It was the first stage of the day. I don't think anyone was awake enough to notice.

I accidentally filmed it (i was the shooter before him and left my camera on) and didn't know why he stopped until after.

Quite funny when it isn't you.

My wife always reminds me to load my mags because I forget too. One match I had an empty mag for my Ist reload and they said I just stopped, looked at it when I pulled it out of the mag pouch then threw it over my shoulder. They laughed for a long time over that.

This should make you feel smarter....

I learned the same lesson shooting moonclips. I was asked to score on the Nook and never grabbed new ammo. I didn't notice half the primers on my rack were spent already when I shot early at the next stage.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by PatJones

I bet every shooter has done this at least once. There is video of a former USPSA Pres at a three gun event that did not load his shotgun speedloaders. Bad to be a sponsored GM and do it. I won't admit how many times I have done this. It is easy to get stuck being the RO and forget until it's your turn to shoot.

Paul

Just like you, I learned the hard way to never put a patially loaded magazine on my belt. They go into the bag until loaded.

Absolutely, this happened to me the last outdoor match of the season on the classifier no less.

Eric

It really isn't remembering to load your mags, it is to not put fired mags back into your holders. I learned this same lesson years ago and now I never put any mag back in my holders after a stage. I do my ULSC and stick the one I took out of the gun on a magnet on my belt and hold the others in my hands until I am scored and then get back to my stuff and clean and re load them.

Just like you, I learned the hard way to never put a patially loaded magazine on my belt. They go into the bag until loaded.

It really isn't remembering to load your mags, it is to not put fired mags back into your holders. I learned this same lesson years ago and now I never put any mag back in my holders after a stage. I do my ULSC and stick the one I took out of the gun on a magnet on my belt and hold the others in my hands until I am scored and then get back to my stuff and clean and re load them.

Funny is I never really thought of this before. I know I had heard someone say it once, but I just never really had an issue.

I like the idea of putting my partial on the magnet and holding the rest until I clean and reload.

As above, I've made a similar routine. Any mag used on the stage gets put in my pocket until I can go back to my bag. Once cleaned (if needed) and reloaded do they get to return to the belt. I like to think im pretty level overall but I'm super OCD about checking my mags to make sure they have rounds in them. Ill fill them up, then double check and put them on my belt. Then while pasting, ill end up checking again a few times. Next stage, Im checking again when Im a couple shooters away.

I was shooting the Tennessee State IDPA match one year ESR and did a similar thing. I didn't reload my back moon clip. 18 round stage, I missed a head which causes me to make up the head due to penalties, which also makes me go to my my back moon clip.... huh it wasn't there.

After that I started a routine, that as soon as my stage is completed scoring I go straight to my range bag and reload. Then while on deck I check every magazine, to be sure i have everything.

• 2 weeks later...

So I get the feeling that starting a stage with some issue with mags is in a similar category as getting DQ'd. There are those who have and those who will?

That said, my system has worked well for me for some time now. It is as follows.

I use a magazine bag from double alpha. At beginning of match or night before they all get loaded to capacity and go in bag.

After shooting a stage mags can go on belt, didn't matter because I don't care what I've used mag-wise, when I go back to my cart ALL the mags get unloaded and cleaned. The unused rounds go back in boxes. I use 20 round mags so now I load them up and rather than counting I simply load two rows from the box, I'd always lose track counting on account of the incessant shenanigans from my squad mates, ( besides, I would sound like "the count" from Sesame Street... " ONE....A-A-A, A TWO... A-AA " ) the quick visual confirmation is nice. . Mags go back in the pouch, ready for next stage. Before you clown me about being anal/OCD/whatever, I have yet to get burned doing this, and it is a great time to work in mental strategies.

Edited by Ultimo-Hombre

• 2 weeks later...

We shot just yesterday and a SS shooter had several mags on his belt with anywhere from 2 to 4 rounds in them. He did get thru the 30 round stage but left a string of mags that a blind man could follow.

My method that has worked for me for years (knocking on wood...) has been to put any used mags back on my belt with the bullets pointing backwards. After everyone is finished with the stage and we go back to load I take those mags out of my belt and either reload them or drop them in my range bag and put full mags back on my belt.

shooting Production i usually have a bunch of mags after a stage and so some go in mag pouchs and siome i hold ... however, after i'm done shooting a stage my routine is ALWAYS the same ... i go sit down, take all the mags from my belt, pockets, hands, wherever and clean if necessary, then reload and put back on my belt. i never do anything else until i'm ready to shoot the next stage ...

Back in the days of mostly 7 rd. mags I was shooting a short 12 rd. stage. I shot to slide lock then did a reload that only had 1 rd. then grabbed a couple of empty mags. It wasn't until I loaded my 5th and last mag did I have enough rounds to finish the course. Since then I have never put a used mag back into a mag pouch. They all go into a back pocket or I keep them in hand until I get back to my gear and can reload them.