Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chic (Hwansik) Kim

hwansikcjswo

Today at LF, I experimented with weekhand shooting.

Applying my recent revelation on grip, vice grip pressure which you use four fingers of your gun grip hand and palm to hold the gun, to my left hand, my week hand shooting became far better.

Vice grip pressure frees the trigger finger muscle so that I don't loose fast trigger or recoil management.

BIG improvement on my grip today. Big improvement on my shooting as well.

Now I need practice to get the grip all the time

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite methodical approach. You are honestly evaluating and planning how to adjust.

Drop the sugary stuff and coffee. Switch to green tea or water. Eat a half ounce of wasabi five minutes before you shoot. :) After your eyes stop watering and your nose stops running you will be alert!

Edited by Steppenwolf

Couple things I learned today at the match.

First, I did good. Consistent match with good hits. I shot and move very fast.

Shooting on the move is a very delicate shooting technique. confirm each sight picture on the A zone.

In walk-thru, be more detailed and slo-mo, especially reload and SOM.

• 2 weeks later...

I think starting looking down slows down your draw. Although people may argue it doesn't slow you down, it's still auxiliary moment, and therefore wasted. Also, in most cases not a legal start. Facing downrange is NOT looking down. Face pointing directly at the backstop is part of the definition of "Facing Downrange".

It's nit-picking, but what can happen if you get in that habit is the potential to throw your game off in the event an RO doesn't allow the start. And making you move out of what you thought was your start position before the beep is not conducive to an ass-kicking run.

(Yes, I realize that many of the start positions may NOT have been facing downrange but speaking mainly of habit, not particular starts. At major matches they tend to enforce the "unless otherwise stated" portion of ready position whereas at locals we tend to let that go and usually lean toward "not" facing downrange unless specified.)

Thank you for the advice!

So looking down is not downrange?

Sorry for my lack of understanding engrish

btw, looking down, looking up, looking straight, I get all the same draw time. but different grip consistency.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

Thank you for the advice!

So looking down is not downrange?

Sorry for my lack of understanding engrish

btw, looking down, looking up, looking straight, I get all the same draw time. but different grip consistency.

Hwansik, are you going to be at PB tomorrow? If so, let's talk. :cheers:

So, here's the rule book.

Facing Uprange ................Face and feet pointing directly (90°) away from the backstop with shoulders parallel to the backstop.

Facing Down Range ........The exact opposite of facing uprange.

Although it is for sure nit-picking, many RO's would correct your looking anywhere but at the backstop so as to have your FACE pointing directly [at the backstop.]

Whether you agree or not, if you are training yourself to watch your draw for consistency then the moments that you aren't allowed to see it, you could easily be thrown off. Whether that's an RO's interpretation of facing downrange or some other start that blocks your ability to watch your draw.

This is one good reason to use a "scoop" type draw. That way you can be very close to the holster, and on the beep drag your hand up the rear edge so as to orient your hand more consistently prior to engaging the grip.

Area 1 is on the books!

My shooting is keep improving. performance is more consistent.

I learned a couple things. I realized how hard it is to keep my body consistent. When I felt hunger, my performance went down. I cannot focus as sharp when I get hungry. I was keep eating my Costco protein bar, but I think I need to eat more often.

When I felt hungry, I shot a miss. It was around 5th, 6th ish stage on the first day. Second day, I ate more bars so it was better.

I also was very shaky for the first 3 stages. When I shot standards (3rd stg) I saw my SH, WH shooting sight pic was very shaky. I think this is something I may not be able to fix.

2nd day was cold for me. My body was very stiff, trigger freeze and my reload was suddenly off for that reason. I will warm up my body when I feel cold. more stretching before shooting.

I'd like to work on shooting more points. I dropped some points on hard lean shots, swingers and WH shooting.

Nice win!

How's the Prima V working for you?

Thanks

I shot 3.9gr Prima V 124gr Xtreme RN. I got 135 pf from the match. but the SD was not so good somehow at the match. FYI, I chronoed 137 pf at home.

But I don't care, it made pf and was accurate.

My load at A1 was low for some reason also which is weird as it's been exactly the same at every major I've been to since I started using it.

Not sure if it was my load or the chrono or a combination of the two. The bullet they pulled, though, was only 145gr rather than 147 which accounts for around a 2PF delta. Aside from the bullet weight, it's interesting that we both saw 2-3 PF less at that chrono compared to other chrono's.

I've never had to fire more than 3 shots to make at least 132PF. I came in around 128 after six shots last weekend.

Edited by d_striker

So, I've found that I consistently chrono at 2-3 pf lower at almost all major matches from what I chrono at home. Sometimes it's the same, sometimes that 2-3 pf loss. That's why I usually load for a 170PF. That give me a 5 pf buffer. People may have different experiences, but this has just been mine.

Also, I normally see a drop over time in what a gun takes to make PF. I don't know if it's barrel wear or something different, but there's usually a drop in pf on every gun I've owned... and usually it's sudden. Last year for example I shot all year making around 170pf and then, just before National's the last chrono at home netted 165pf. This was only a few weeks after a 170 at a major match.

The lesson here, is give yourself a 3-5pf buffer, check it often, and don't be too surprised when you have to change it.

So, I've found that I consistently chrono at 2-3 pf lower at almost all major matches from what I chrono at home. Sometimes it's the same, sometimes that 2-3 pf loss. That's why I usually load for a 170PF. That give me a 5 pf buffer. People may have different experiences, but this has just been mine.

Also, I normally see a drop over time in what a gun takes to make PF. I don't know if it's barrel wear or something different, but there's usually a drop in pf on every gun I've owned... and usually it's sudden. Last year for example I shot all year making around 170pf and then, just before National's the last chrono at home netted 165pf. This was only a few weeks after a 170 at a major match.

The lesson here, is give yourself a 3-5pf buffer, check it often, and don't be too surprised when you have to change it.

I agree on the buffer which is why I shoot for 132-135. I chrono'd the same ammo today and it was 132. Just like it was at a2 and a6.

I chrono'd 2-3 pf higher at A1 than at home. I don't know if it makes that much of a difference but I chrono'd on a warm day (thursday), whereas sunday was pretty chilly. Still my load at home seems to chrono about the same regardless of the weather.

Was nice to meet you at the match mr Kim (or hwansik or whatever I call you, I'm very ignorant about asian naming conventions). I was the CRO on stage 3 (swinging bridge) that asked if you were the thumbless korean. Congrats on an impressive victory.

Thank you guys!

I am getting ready for OR champ. this weekend.

Me and my wife got sick after Area 1 with all the exams from school leading up to lack of sleep and such. Finished one exam yesterday, one more to go in 2 hrs. Final exams in 2 weeks. Busy time but I am joyful with everything.

However, I feel strong in many ways. I still feel like I am not so good at shooting partials.

Over the summer, I will work on many partials, moving in / out of position. Also, since my grip is changed recently, I am gonna strengthen my draw. My draw can be much faster but slow for now.

Another thing is shooting higher points. My goal is 93% to 95% total points.

Great learning from OR match. A couple mistakes on accurate shooting.

The mistakes are solved as i was driving back home listening to recent Eric G. interview with Mike S.

At the match, I let it all out like A1. However, there were a lot more risks and very tough shots.

I did great on the stages I am strong at (movements and fast pace shooting). However, I still had hard time shooting steel targets, Ds on swingers and distant zebra target. I find zebra target hard because I need to see equal light in btwn the sights. But it's just so hard because of the black back ground.

Now is the time to learn when to use my strength and let it out or be risk free / conservative and do OK on the stage

Now Final exams are in a week, After that, I am going to be training more.

Over the summer, I will address on shortening making ready before shooting and knowing my shooting skill more so I can game like Eric G.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

Another big learning from the match.

I watched JJ's periscope today. He said to his student that far dist. steel, he should bring the sight back to the target trigger preped.

So at the OR match, 25 yard partial took me awhile because when I missed the shot, my gun was already transitioning.

On a far steel target, I will do a follow through, trigger preped. so I can reduce the risk of loosing too much time in case I miss it.