Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chic (Hwansik) Kim

hwansikcjswo

Since the last major match is coming up, I am already thinking about what the next training focus will be.

I am going to work really hard on my fundamentals of shooting.

1. I will be focusing a lot on trigger control to eliminate trigger freeze.

- I will try developing my trigger finger to come all the way out towards the trigger guard to insure the reset.

2. I will shoot a lots of vision focus change stuff (target focus to sight focus)

3. I will keep my body strong at all times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am shooting the US IPSC nats this weekend.

When I was practicing for one-handed shooting, locking my elbow gave me better recoil cntl and better shots.

I don't know how well it will work at pressured environment where my hands start shaking.

Last local match, It was a fixed time with lots of target. I did my math wrong and ended up shooting so many non-A hits. It'd been much better if I just aimed As. Next time I will try to do correct math before shooting such stage.

My first IPSC match is over. I am so glad I shot the IPSC match. I will now sell my kidney to go shoot the World shoot next year. My wife and I gotta make it happen :) 

I brought a lots of info. and HW from the match

It will change my training for the next year.

Characteristics of IPSC match 

1. Lots of difficult positions ( low port, hard lean)

2. difficult shot (20yrd+ partials, mini poppers at distance, activating target at 20yrd+)

3. Range specifically had bad light condition, unnecessary makeup shots due to poor shot calling.

4. Short walk-thru time. Next time I will do more detailed visualization since I can't visualize in the Walk-thru

• 4 weeks later...

From this year, I learned a couple valuable lessons.

1. The aggression level is extremely important. Regardless of high risk or low risk stage you are shooting, aggression in your shooting and movement is very important.

2. I need my eyes opened at least relaxed if not opening wider. When I squint my eyes, especially from dry eye pain, my vision is not clear, thus I can't shoot very accurate in speed. I need to open that tiny Asian eyes!

3. In order to be a world champ level shooter, strong shooting fundamental is a must. Trigger control, aiming process, and recoil management

SHHH..... This is a secret sauce I found from Ben's post 

After learning the lessons of the 2011 season, it is time for me to put together a training plan for 2012.

First, we should take a look back at what I posted last year about my training for 2011.

I have basically cranked the difficulty of my dryfire WAY up.

Everything is a test of position, partial targets.... and other such things. I have fault lines in my apartment that I am moving around to create tough leans. I like it!

The new rule of thumb for live fire practice drills is this: If the drill is difficult for me to shoot without a penalty, it is hard enough.

This has made my practice... frustrating... to say the least, but I really think that its the only thing for me to do.

Well.. I have to say that last years training had the desired effect. The harder the stage is, the better I do. I have gotten my accuracy and consistency up to an extremely high level.

About 80% of my practice was at the 25 yard line (at least) at partial targets. I just worked simple sorts of drills at that distance.

As far as what I didn’t do in the last year.. I have to say I made almost zero progress on being faster through a stage. As far as speed on gun handling and standing and shooting, I am pretty sure I moved backwards. I just didn’t practice those things a whole lot. The World Shoot also showed me how much more practice I need to do while off balance. So much time was spend at that match shooting from a position that wasn’t comfortable.

I guess the best way to sum it up is to say that I have made big strides in the single most important skill. Accuracy is far and away the biggest determining factor of who wins a match, especially a hard match like the US Nationals. I just need to have a training plan that works some other elements a little bit more, so I can push forward in those areas as well.

I have decided to organize my training into 4 categories, or “blocks”. The idea is that I work on each block in equal proportion to all the other blocks.

I am not going to draw a distinction between dry fire and live fire. It really doesn’t matter. I am going to practice each block in equal proportion no matter if I am using ammo or not.

Block 1: Extreme Accuracy

This block is where I want to set up distant or difficult targets. Using the rule of thumb from last year, I want to make it just hard enough that it is difficult to shoot without a miss penalty or a no shoot penalty. Right now that is about a 30 yard partial. I would like to push that back to about 40 yards over the course of the next year. Also in the accuracy block, I want to shoot strong hand only and weak hand only at the same partial targets, to improve my accuracy there. Finally, I like the “dot torture” drill from Pistol-training.com and will continue to use it.

Accuracy is the most important element of shooting, and it is what swings matches. There really is no forgetting that.

Block 2: Classifiers/Hosing

One area that I pretty much did not practice last year was the sort of practice that makes up most people training almost exclusively. I am talking about draws, reloads, and transitions on target that are set at about 10 yards. Drills like El Prezidente and Bill Drills are included here.

I simply did not push these skill sets higher at all in the last year, so they fell back some.

When shooting classifiers or hosing drills I want to put my focus primarily on the speed at which I can perform them. Accuracy will have to take a back seat during this block.

Block 3: Short Course/Specialized Skills

This block encompasses shooting while off balance, picking the gun up off stuff, swingers, bobbers, prone shooting, and so forth.

I am thinking of short and simple drills that isolate a couple skills at a time. For example, load the gun then go prone then shoot a couple targets.

The training focus in this block is on smooth execution of specialized skills and accuracy.

Block 4: Run and Gun/Field Courses

The fourth and final block is to focus on my training for getting stage times lowered on big field courses.

In this block I will set up movement drills and focus on getting the time between positions lower.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

• 3 weeks later...

Your mention of "canted gun" made me think:

Have you taken the time to compare SHO / WHO shooting with the gun canted versus held vertical? I'm curious about your thoughts on that if you have.

I keep meaning to run an array both ways over and over and compare HFs, but it never occurs to me when I'm at the range.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

17 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Your mention of "canted gun" made me think:

Have you taken the time to compare SHO / WHO shooting with the gun canted versus held vertical? I'm curious about your thoughts on that if you have.

I keep meaning to run an array both ways over and over and compare HFs, but it never occurs to me when I'm at the range.

I never shoot gun canted unless necessary. why? because I practice gun upright. 

If the gun is canted, the recoil pulse is not upward anymore since the grip is not upward. 

I want my shooting to be simple and consistent, If I want to master shooting gun canted, I would need more resources but I don't have them yet.

So I will work on more important things that help me to shoot better in USPSA. Priorities right? :) 

Can you get me a discount on a USP Compact? :P

I'll stop carpet bombing your diary now. Please let us know what you do regarding drills or training to get better at focusing on the A of open targets. I know exactly what you mean. You spend the extra energy (not time) to bring the perforations of the A-zone into focus and hit it when there's a noshoot overlapping your target. But just... kinda try to get indexed in the center of the big brown thing when shooting open ones.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 3 weeks later...

First CO match was very very fun. I got too excited on some stages.

I really need to program exactly where (the area) I want to shoot. e.g. A zone, Calibration zone, etc

I am getting used to the gun right now, but my shooting is ok with it so far.

Even when I am not training as much, I am far better than last year. big jump in my shooting for sure.

gun change

How to quickly get used to a pistol when changing to a different gun (Tanfo to Walther in my case)

1) Find the proper grip so that the sights are aligned when you draw the gun and you have good recoil management. (Live fire required)

2) Check if the sights are aligned properly after transitioning to other targets in various degrees. (Dry fire)

3) Find index points for the consistent draw so that you can grip the gun the way you found earlier consistently.(Dry fire)

4) Repeat the steps above again to make sure everything is correct.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

At shooter's summit, Manny Bragg shared the key for his success 

1. Seeing the sight lift on the target is important.Shooting mistakes happen (Shooting Ds or missing steel) when you don't see the sight lift from the target.

2. the importance of gun transition. Making sure the eyes go first so that the gun doesn't over swing.

I am currently working on snapping my eye to the next target to improve my transition

When I do, I notice I overswing less.

How I am fixing it is that in walk through, I am snapping my eyes to the next A-zone or specific points. 

So I am focusing on programming the visual part of the walk throu.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an amazing opportunity this year. I will be able to travel to more major matches.

This year, the goal is not winning. The goal is to learn how to win.

There is no doubt that this year will be an awesome year. It's already awesome.

Another tangible goal this year is 2 hrs of dryfire a day, 5-6 times a week.