Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chic (Hwansik) Kim

hwansikcjswo

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed from your latest videos that you no longer wear the ShotMaxx timer during matches. Is there a reason why? Is it causing too much interference with draws/mag reloads? Thanks.

Interesting. Where did you see me wearing Shotmaxx during matches?

because I don't remember wearing them during matches.

I only use them in practice when I want to hear buzzer.

Sorry must be assuming the black thing on your left wrist to be ShotMaxx :)

Most of your videos last year had that, plus you had 1 video showing how you used the ShotMaxx before them (on a classifier stage I think).

Final exam today and tomorrow. Then I am going to be on summer break.

This summer, I am going to be able to shoot steels without make-ups in all dist. and mid to long dist. partial targets. I will also make a goal in practice to shoot 5% charlies.

I will make my strong skills even stronger, especially coming into position. It has been my strength of the year. I am going to develop that even more to be able to shot accurate.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

• 2 weeks later...

I shot another lv2 match.

very challenging match. I shot very consistent but slower than normal due to high risk targets..

I learned that I cannot reload consistently without dryfiring everyday. I maybe DFed twice a week for the last 2 weeks for the finals.

I had some problems with stage planning. I counted the targets, but I forgot to count how many shots I am firing on the last stage, resulting double engaging. Stay sharp until the last stage. Also trigger freeze issue came back.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

• 3 weeks later...

The doc says no surgery but the recovery will take more than a month. THat's good. So then, my training starts now. I am messing around with my grip how I can shoot both hands without swelling my pinky back. I am doing index finger on trigger guard and gripping both hand with only with middle finger and ring finger. it's a mess so far. The sight isn't coming back to alignment as automatic as my normal grip. I still gotta shoot nats one way or another.

It feels like starting the fundamentals of shooting ALL OVER!

I shot a match, havent shot one in a month.

I had some issues on stage plannning and reloads.

1. Risk vs reward - I shot hard cover targets from far away in a very HHF stage (10+). I could have shot up close with less risk but the same or faster time by dong it. Close to the target = less risk

2. rope handling - Since my pinky is hurt, shooting both hands while grabbing the rope was not a good idea, it gave me massive pain while I was doing so. Also I didn't call the last shot (popper) correctly and let the rope go. I had to re open the window to shoot again. I should confirm the shot before I shut the window.

3. Vision focus on reload - My vision was not as sharp on the mag well when I did reloads. There were some bad reloads.

Now I have things to remember.

I am focusing on evaluating the risk in the stage.

Risk can be measured by the target difficulty, props/gun handling, number of extra shots available in the mag, HF. However, all based on my ability.

Higher the HF, less mistake is important. Lower the HF, shotting more points is important.

On the stage with a texas star, I engaged 1 plate of the start to secure 2 extra shots available when I am at the last position. But I had to do standing reload. In this case, I would've saved like a second if I didn't shoot 1 shot on the star in the first place. I didn't fully understand my ability of shooting a texas star. Another option would be engaging in different sequence ( Right plate then left side plate to slow down the spin of the star)

If the risk is avoidable, measure the risk vs reward.

If the risk is not avoidable, plan a plan B in case of mistake.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

• 2 weeks later...

I analyzed risks on partial targets.

Determine how much A zone is available.

Further the distance, the aim spot of the target goes from A zone to center of brown.

Good example is head shot target. Aim head A zone within 7yards. anything further, Center of head or brown.

I find many partials with no-shoot would be shot center of brown at 15 yards+

Wow, your progress is really quite impressive. I didn't read every post, but if no one has asked yet, what shooting experience did you have before your first match?

I first fired a hand gun in 2012 when I came to US. I shot rental guns a couple times, then I bought first pistol but too expensive to shoot and didn't like my jamming gun (Ruger SR40c). I did not shoot much at all before I started USPSA.

So I barely had any experience with handgun before USPSA.

Wow, your progress is really quite impressive. I didn't read every post, but if no one has asked yet, what shooting experience did you have before your first match?

I first fired a hand gun in 2012 when I came to US. I shot rental guns a couple times, then I bought first pistol but too expensive to shoot and didn't like my jamming gun (Ruger SR40c). I did not shoot much at all before I started USPSA.

I have had the distinct pleasure to watch you from the start of your USPSA journey. It had been a pleasure to see. All the talent and dedication in a genuinely nice person. A rare combination anymore. I'm proud to call you a friend. :)

Dang! You're just a natural shooter then!!! I started shooting in March, but I'm nowhere even close to your level of skill! I probably need to start dry firing a lot more at home.

Sir. I am not a natural shooter or athlete. When I first shot my USPSA match, I was at the bottom of the ranking score.

I just immediately fell in love with the sports and started hardcore training with hardcore study of the sports.

I grew up sucking at all sports but I am a very passionate person. I never stopped thinking about shooting uspsa since I first shot the match.

I have had the distinct pleasure to watch you from the start of your USPSA journey. It had been a pleasure to see. All the talent and dedication in a genuinely nice person. A rare combination anymore. I'm proud to call you a friend. :)

Thank you!! I am glad I have a friend like you! You and your wife are the people I'd love to at the range the most!

Dang! You're just a natural shooter then!!! I started shooting in March, but I'm nowhere even close to your level of skill! I probably need to start dry firing a lot more at home.

Sir. I am not a natural shooter or athlete. When I first shot my USPSA match, I was at the bottom of the ranking score.

I just immediately fell in love with the sports and started hardcore training with hardcore study of the sports.

I grew up sucking at all sports but I am a very passionate person. I never stopped thinking about shooting uspsa since I first shot the match.

Haha, I think a lot of people here would beg to differ!

Your diary is quite an inspiration to me along with JJ Racaza's videos. I've started dry firing a lot more daily starting to realize that I can get a lot of work done at home with my very limited ammo supply. Like you, I'm also a grad student so funds are really a limiting factor for me :(

That said, I wish I had a range like yours near me!

I would disagree with this and agree a little with what Chic said (though he is probably too modest).

He neccissarily gifted with some natural gun handling magic talent. He may have someaffinity with gun handling. He probably does have some desirable physical traits for USPSA. I'd say almost certainly has excellent vision and good reflexes/reactions, he is fit/athletic build. BUT his fast rise to the top level in production USPSA has come from masses of hard work. and I don't mean just firing round after round.

He spent time researching what the top guys are doing and WHY they do it that way. Then tried those styles/techniques for himself and kept what worked and thew out what didn't work. he also spent money on professional coaching and on top of that lots of dry fire and lots of live fire. Finally he spent a lot of effort to video both training and matches and then spend the time to analyse those videos to isolate mistakes/errors and then correct then through proper practice, while celebrating the things he was doing well.

I only say this as often when people improve quickly or get to the higher levels of a sport people say "wow he is so lucky to have that much talent" or something similar. To me that discounts the hard work they put in. They improve faster than the other guys because they try harder and work longer at it.

He wasn't born a USPSA GM, he got there through his hard work. :)

Haha, I think a lot of people here would beg to differ!

Your diary is quite an inspiration to me along with JJ Racaza's videos. I've started dry firing a lot more daily starting to realize that I can get a lot of work done at home with my very limited ammo supply. Like you, I'm also a grad student so funds are really a limiting factor for me :(

That said, I wish I had a range like yours near me!

I am glad it inspires you!

If you are in america, except some states, it shouldn't be so hard to find an open field where you can go shoot :D

Before i moved to a current city, I had to drive 45 min to an out-door range. but now, 15 min :)