Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chic (Hwansik) Kim

hwansikcjswo

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I earned a slot to world shoot. I am going to be the first Korean competing IPSC world shoot for the first time in the history! 

I recently changed my grip due to the slide lock issue on my Walther. I call it TGO grip.

I think I like it but I need to do more livefire with it.

I am so excited for this year. Travelling a lot!

This year will be focusing a lot on the fundamentals of shooting. It will be a great year for my shooting.

I found an interesting thing here.

Many people have asked 'What separates the world champion from other shooters?'.

I found this to be a deciding factor: THE DEGREE OF FOCUS.

I got this idea when I watched top shooters' faces while they shot. In addition, I have been listening to an interview of a world champ shooter that stated he shoots over 100k rounds every year. Given the information I received, I found the ability to focus on the right thing with strength and endurance matters a lot once you have the mastery of the basic skill set needed to win a championship. Skill sets are important but there are many people with great skills. The thing that will up your game is your mental strength to increase awareness in your vision, which relates to your degree of focus. Some say "You need to see what you need to see" or "Visual patience and discipline". What I am talking about here is to have that visual control but in a more intense way and for a longer time period. Being able to focus intensely for the entire match is a key.

How do we train to have the focus to win the world championship? I personally think in training the ability to focus is developed alongside other skills. HOWEVER, If we are not practicing with a serious mindset and focused attention as if it were a real match with pressure, we are not training the ability to focus.

Being able to focus hard for long periods of time- hours to even a couple days, is really important.

Fortunately, focusing is not something that can be only developed in training. I can train focusing in my classes, listening to my wife and driving etc. 

My goal when I go to matches is not winning the match, it's focusing throughout the entirety of the match.

Looking forward to seeing how that goes.  Based on the videos you've posted so far, the transition was very smooth.  I'm so impressed with how much you've acheived in such a short period of time.  It hasn't been obstacle-free, either!!

2 hours ago, Jetskidawg said:

Looking forward to seeing how that goes.  Based on the videos you've posted so far, the transition was very smooth.  I'm so impressed with how much you've acheived in such a short period of time.  It hasn't been obstacle-free, either!!

Thank you so much!!

I try hard to reach to the top level in the sport in the shortest amount of time and money possible. :) 

First, I am really blessed with my marriage and my home range. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Yea, it's seriously inspiring to see how rapidly you're progressing in a short time. I imagine not long until we see you competing against Max Michel and the like :D

Thank you so much!!

I am really happy to hear that.

I am really interested in teaching and helping people to shoot better. I want the knowledge I found spread out to others.

• 3 weeks later...

CO nats and Area 1 is in a couple weeks now.

Getting busy for the finals but that is not gonna stop my training.

I feel consistent than ever now. 

Now I know what I need to do to perform well. And it's going to get even better.

7 hours ago, hwansikcjswo said:

CO nats and Area 1 is in a couple weeks now.

Getting busy for the finals but that is not gonna stop my training.

I feel consistent than ever now. 

Now I know what I need to do to perform well. And it's going to get even better.

Great match, congrats on the win!!   Which optic did you choose for your Walther?

7 hours ago, highhope said:

Man,that you said "walk through in dry fire" in Practical pistol show is really helpful!  Thank you man! BTW, what base pad do you use for production on Q5?

I am glad it works well for you.

I am using Taylor Freelance basepads.

Since I am shooting A1 in production a week after CO nats, I shot local matches CO then Production back to back.

I thought the transition was not a big deal. I just need to consider the rear sight when I am shooting close distance more.

I also learned that shooting As on a target partially blocked by a barrel is not so worth. I would just aim closer to the charlie from now on.

27 minutes ago, hwansikcjswo said:

I also learned that shooting As on a target partially blocked by a barrel is not so worth. I would just aim closer to the charlie from now on.

Amen. "Hold on the A/C perforation on the side away from the barrel" is a lesson I've learned several times over.

And over.

Edited by MemphisMechanic