Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chic (Hwansik) Kim

hwansikcjswo

Do you think it would have been faster to stuff your pouch with a magazine rather than going back?

It was in the WSB that you couldn't put mags in your pouch (I shot the same match, but I shoot open and didn't have to worry about it).

Is that legal?

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think it would have been faster to stuff your pouch with a magazine rather than going back?

It was in the WSB that you couldn't put mags in your pouch (I shot the same match, but I shoot open and didn't have to worry about it).

Is that legal?

I don't think they are legal

One time at the club match, at shooter's meeting, someone told people in the announcement to expect illegal stuff at the range.

I see illegal target presentations and rules often from the club. However, It is Lv 1 match. I guess lv 1 exemption applies there.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

The WSB didn't address "pockets" so some of the shooters stuffed mags in pockets at the table. I put an extra in my side pocket. (not the front pocket for production and SS though :surprise: ) Don't know about the legality of the WSB, didn't really worry about it though, it was fun and not unsafe, just kinda silly.

Wouldn't 5.2.4 make it a legal stage?

I'm not seeing anything in there that makes it legal.

Hwansik-sorry to blow up your range diary with a rules discussion.

5.2.4 During the course of fire, after the start signal, unless stipulated otherwise in the stage procedure, spare ammunition, magazines and/or speed loading devices shall be carried in retention devices attached to the competitor's belt and specifically designed for that purpose. Unless specifically prohibited in the Written Stage Briefing, a competitor may also carry additional magazines or speed loading devices in apparel pocket(s) and retrieve and use them, providing that the location of the apparel pocket does not violate the requirements of Appendix D, Item 12 (subject to the provisions of Rule 6.2.5.1).

If the WSB specifies no carrying of magazines in pouches after the start signal (it doesn't say you can only specify immediately after the start signal), that seems pretty cut and dry?

Oh, I see what you're getting at now. Perhaps. I don't know.

I always thought that unless the WSB stated that mags had to come from barrels, tables, etc., they had to be on your belt. In other words, you can't stow mags throughout the stage on props if it's not specified.

On stages where "other" is stipulated, they have to be staged on designated props but you are allowed to stuff your pouches after the start signal.

This would be a good question for the Rules section.

Edited by d_striker

Oh, I see what you're getting at now. Perhaps. I don't know.

I always thought that unless the WSB stated that mags had to come from barrels, tables, etc., they had to be on your belt. In other words, you can't stow mags throughout the stage on props if it's not specified.

Yes, that's what the rule says. They must start on your belt unless otherwise specified.

On stages where "other" is stipulated, they have to be staged on designated props but you are allowed to stuff your pouches after the start signal.

This would be a good question for the Rules section.

Correct. The rule lets you put in the WSB that mags start on barrel(s)/table/competitor's choice and then, based on your intention for the stage, you could say that magazines start on table (but you can do whatever you like with them after, like stuff your pouches) or you could say that your magazine pouches can't be used, forcing you to reload from the table, or carry the magazine in your hand/teeth/whatever. Freestyle inside the constraints of the WSB.

I'd still lean more towards it not being legal. I'm thinking the "unless stipulated otherwise" language purely exists to say that mags have to be on belt "unless stipulated otherwise." I don't think that that language allows for the stage designer to dictate that a shooter cannot use their mag pouches after the beep.

I'll post a thread in the rules section. Stuff like this is good to know.

Edited by d_striker

• 2 weeks later...

I learned A ton from the match.

1.When I did Slow-mo walk-thru increased my match performance and less tiring my body.

2. Keeping my body hydrated and not hungry is extremely important.

When I found that Eric G does slmo-walkthrou, I tried in my DF and worked great, and it proved me that it works at the match.

A problem I faced the day was managing my body. I was in a squad where most of the shooters are new and I had to be the scoring RO for more than a half the times. Not only that, I didn't drink enough water and food. Towards the end of the match, I started loosing my eyesight, the sight seemed so blurry when I am out of energy I could not hit the poppers that I shoot w/o problems. Also, I didn't bring enough magazines as well. My mind was very affected by my body condition as well.

Other than the last 2 stages, I was shooting like I do in practice.

My next assignment is to figure out how to keep my vision sharp through out the whole match. Water, protein bar, and what else?

Edited by hwansikcjswo

I have an experiment for tmr.

I am going to try slapping and prepping the trigger.

Not just doing it but programming it to do them in one drill. I will mix up very easy target and hard target.

I think relaxing my hands may not be the solution to the trigger freeze. I think trigger manipulation is.

Trigger manipulation at practice went well.

I had trigger freeze in the beginning, but I quickly fixed the issue by slapping.

I have shot the fastest splits in my life so far. I was able to shoot under .15 consistently with slapping technique.

I think the fastest one was .11 but mostly . 13 to .15s

This is going to be my first World Shoot.

2017 IPSC World Championship in La Martinerie, Frace

23-25 August: Pre-Match
26 August: IPSC General Assembly
27 August: Opening Ceremony
28 August-2 September: Main Match (shoot 5 of 6 days, according to roster)
3 September: Shoot-Off and Awards Dinner

I must earn a slot to shoot the match.
How? Shoot US nationals like myself.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

• 3 weeks later...

Some live fire today.

When shooting a very hard lean, I needed to relax my right hand a bit to stabilize my sight. https://youtu.be/mf2IQMq-ZFw?list=PLEQelictxo1uhon3YYL0P7VNhTSGthd15&t=55

As both of my hands are gripping tight, when I tilt my wrists like on the vid, my sight is not aligned and front sight shakes badly.

Another lesson, I tend to stand up while shooting on the move. As my leg pressure is getting relaxed while standing up,I lost strong platform for SOM. I need to keep the body low for the entire SOM

When table start, especially when I pick up the gun with one hand only, I need to look at the groove under the beevertail as an index point when grabbing the gun. I can grab the gun most consistently when I do so.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

I watched your vid.

I noticed you mentioned the Lean about relaxing and wanted to mention what I noticed. Checkout the picture of you and me leaning. (yes, I wore a Santa hat for an indoor match at Christmas)

Lean.JPG

Anyways, checkout how my lean is pushing hard on my bent knee to keep my body pretty straight and BOTH feet planted as firmly as possible. Something that Ron Avery told me once. Is to concentrate on the "outboard" foot... straighten that leg and plant it as a cantilever and lower yourself rather than bend yourself to get around that obstacle.

This ties into your other comment about keeping your body low. Stay low to lean and to SOM. Lower is more stable.

Good luck on your World Shoot goal. I'm sure you'll make it!

Thank you for the tip!

You can view other's videos who attended that match. The lean was impossible to plant both legs and shoot the target.

I am 6"3 and I had to lean out so far to be able to hit that target. I cannot bend my legs more than that without shaking my whole body.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

Lots of lessons learned from yesterday at a local match.

1. Check where all the targets are available.

2. Stick with your plan, avoid last minute plan change unless you have time to walk-throu and visualize meticulously .

3. Count the round in walk-thru count and rounds fired each position, EVERY STAGE.

4. stages with gun manipulation is going to be low HF even though targets are close to each other.

5.Shoot risk free.

6. focus on calling my shot rather than looking at the target to confirm shots on head shots or plates.

7. Minimize transitions and positions.

SOM on close targets, I have been shooting very rigidly.

Today, I rolled my feet even for the close distance fast shooting. When I did that, my sight was much more predictable and when my food touched the ground, I felt less impact.

It worked greatly, with faster speed.

I need to roll my feet no matter what the difficulty of the target is.

LF today, I had issues with reloading while standing up from a medium high port transitioning to the right. Grabbing mag, missing magwell, miss-gripping after reload, not seating the mag all the way. HW : train reloading transitioning from medium height port

I also felt hungry and consumed sugary bubble tea, I didn't have mental sharpness and missed popper a couple times. In that situation, I need to focus on sight alignment more. Also try to maximize good execution by using the techniques I practice a lot in my training.

Lots of learning from today's match.

First, drinking coffee yesterday was affecting me. I felt dumb and didn't visualize stages over and over, didn't do detail walk-thru. However, it gave me extra speed. I shot much faster than I usually do. Also missed more than I usually do on steel.

HW list

1. I start slowing down too early. Get the gun ready when body is ready when you arrive the shooting position, not too soon or late.

- do some box drill to fix it and video it.

2. Practice committing head shots. esp. the last one of the array

- do 10 yrd open target & head shot with no shot around the head and exit the position.

3. practice being more aggressive.

- do 4 box drill from JJ's class

4. Practice new grip. use right hand palm to cover the back strap of the gun

- Do Bill drills and dot drills.