Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Running a C-more optic on a glock

Jgaeta2

Hi. Can anyone provide me with a little input on how to reliably run a c-more optic on a glock? The guys at Zev don't recommend it however a glock open gun is all I can afford right now and I really want to use a C-more optic. Thanks.

Been there done that. Get a SJC Micro Reddot mount. It's frame mounted. I had both a FFII and a C-more RTS2 slide mounted. I went to a frame mount and though I never noticed my dot moving with the slide mount once I went frame mounted I realized how much it was moving and how much easier it is to track a frame mount.

thanks.. is there any way to mount a c-more slide ride up and down rather than side ways on a frame mount and have it be reliable?

Both SJC and Carver offer "standard" C-More bases for the Glock. Nonetheless, if I was looking at building an Open Glock, my first choice for a base would be the Stingray (which is a sideways mount). http://stingraycg.com/products.html

I don't shoot Open and my experience with these guns is limited to having shot a few buddies' pistols. Having said this, I will add that, most people whom I know that shoot Open, claim that, transitioning from a post-and-notch sight to a sideways mounted red-dot, is easier than to an upright mounted one. They say that this is because, with a sideways mount, the dot sits closer to the bore axis which is similar to where your standard sights would be.

The 90deg mounts are great. You get a completely open ejection port and a low dot with a big window, and the best part is the fight and mount will cost less than a good micro sight. Everyone worries about the sight blocking your view but it doesn't, you can test it yourself, with both eyes focus on a target (door knob, light switch, whatever) now hold out your thumb and cover the target, notice you can still see the target. When shooting at speed with the dot you won't notice it at all, all you see is the dot on the target.

Sideways mount isn't really even noticeable once you start shooting. The benefits of having the dot low to the slide are IMO secondary to the open ejection port.

I'll second the SJC Sideways mount - installed in about an hour and holds zero great.

They do have upright mounts but the ejection issues / tuning just aren't worth it.

Good choice! I don't shoot Open Glocks anymore (STI/PT now with 90 degree mounts) but when I did, I used the vertical mount and had tons of problems with it - and that's after it was tuned by a well known gunsmith. I did shoot a little with the 90 degree mount from SJC and loved it. The Stingray looks awesome but never tried it.

I use the Carver Customs mount on my Glock and had Bobby carver put a thumb rest on the side for me. The height of the dot did take some getting used to but it wasn't bad. His mounts don't require permanent mods to your frame like the SJC and Stingray do. But they do limit your holster options some. To keep the ejection issues from popping up (never had a problem), I had Bobby lower my ejection port at the same time he did my speed cuts in the slide.

FullSizeRender_zps1aa442c3.jpg

Edited by Tuflehundon

I use the Carver Customs mount on my Glock and had Bobby carver put a thumb rest on the side for me. The height of the dot did take some getting used to but it wasn't bad. His mounts don't require permanent mods to your frame like the SJC and Stingray do. But they do limit your holster options some. To keep the ejection issues from popping up (never had a problem), I had Bobby lower my ejection port at the same time he did my speed cuts in the slide.

FullSizeRender_zps1aa442c3.jpg

I use this mount on my Bobby Carver built 17 open gun. I don't like the C-More sideways, does not look or feel balanced. Naturally comes to my eye. Thumb rest is perfect for me. Has never changed zero in almost 2 years. I run a CR Speed holster.

gerritm

post-23808-0-45130400-1421185573_thumb.j

Edited by gerritm

I use the sideways SJC mount on my glock open gun, the only issue is keeping the screw that goes thru the trigger tight. Blue locktite helps. On my STI guns I use red but you can't do that on Tupperware.

The glock is a bit more bouncy than the STI's but it swings faster. I got lucky mine runs major or minor and I mean match after match with no hicckups, so it is possible.

• 9 months later...

Hey, has anybody tried the new Carver 90° mount? I know a lot of people have gone with the SJC mount because it was the best option for putting a C more at 90 degrees on a tupperware gun. However, Carver has his own version of this now, which means you can avoid drilling through your serial-numbered polymer lower.

Is there still a reason to buy the SJC version, aside from holster selection? The Carver kind of looks dorky with all that metal in the mount, but I would imagine the extra weight helps slightly with muzzle rise. Any thoughts on this?

Carver's new mount can be found here.

Hey, has anybody tried the new Carver 90° mount? I know a lot of people have gone with the SJC mount because it was the best option for putting a C more at 90 degrees on a tupperware gun. However, Carver has his own version of this now, which means you can avoid drilling through your serial-numbered polymer lower.

Is there still a reason to buy the SJC version, aside from holster selection? The Carver kind of looks dorky with all that metal in the mount, but I would imagine the extra weight helps slightly with muzzle rise. Any thoughts on this?

Carver's new mount can be found here.

I think for the reason you stated (somewhat understated, in my opinion), the carver mounts will never be as popular as the SJC mounts: holster selection. I know for me personally, I would not consider the Carver mounts (he is an cool dude, and wouldn't hesitate to buy from him) simply because I hate CR speed holsters (because you can knock your gun out of the holster, even if it is 'locked,' something that is completely impossible with the DAA) and that is effectively your only choice with those mounts. I know some people have modified ghosts to work with them, but they look like complete hack jobs by the time it is all said and done.

With that said, that Stingray mount looks pretty slick, I haven't seen one of those before.

To the OP: If you buy the 90 degree SJC and hate it, they sell a replacement top plate for it that is drilled and tapped for mounting micro dots, should you be interested in that. So you have options! (but I think once you try the full size Cmore at 90 degrees you will realize it doesn't interfere with your vision at all)

I do find the 90 interfere s with my vision. But, only on short transitions to the left. It probably doesn't help that I'm blind in my left eye though.

I've never had my gun come out of my crspeed holster. I did drop one in the mud once with a daa. It wasn't in the holster properly so it wasn't really locked.

I had been using Carvers vertical mount before I switched to STI. Some good thing that I liked about Carver vertical mount is you don't need to do any modification on your slide and frame unlike SJC. The vertical mount is really a plus in open Glocks because It eliminates the problem of ejection. I was using a Glock 35 open and never really had a single malfunction while using it. For me, the vertical mount never really gave me a problem or obstruct my vision to look up the targets. The frame is kinda bulky but really give weight to the frame to help the recoil. The only CONS I found is the availability of holster you can use. I used a CR holster but there were a couple of times that my gun fell off or knocked off while moving around off the course of fire.

• 4 weeks later...