Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Arsenal Strike One

I have recently purchased a Strike One 9mm and am very pleasantly surprised. It is possibly the best out of the box polymer/striker fired pistol I have ever shot. It is very accurate and feel great in the hands. The cons I have are the uptake on the trigger quite large but the trigger break is quite nice. The factory sights are quit obnoxious and hope that some aftermarket F/O may appear in the future. It is a big and heavy gun but I do not mind that (certainly would not be a carry pistol) and the build quality of quite good. I have put about 300 rounds through it trying to break it in. I plan on trying it at a steel challenge match and will give an update. I do plan on getting another one in 40SW when they arrive in the states

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town. I wanted to take it to a steel match but it was rained out and I then went out of town. I did get extra mags from Sooner state arms as well as an IPSC holster. The mags were about $40 each and the holster was $180. Sooner state said they will be receiving a competition model 2nd quarter of this year with F/O sites and a better trigger. They also mentioned a compact model is in the works

The first strike ones are showing in Italy, usually with big problems (sxxitty Tanfoglio QC, as usual), broken firing pins, undersprung extractors, magazine falling out the gun in mid string of fire, I REALLY think that it's not a platform completely tested, they had big problems with realiability before putting strike ones in production, I guess they didn'solve issues..

Almost every magazine on a strike one I can put my hands on had to be modified because the lip would'nt hold mag on mag catch during recoil. The most annoying feature on the strike one I found (but It's a personal thing) is that the bore axis is so low to grip frame that your trigger finger point REALLY low, it's steep learning curve not shoot high at speed with a strike one..It remainds me the steyr m9.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got a chance to shoot it in Tucson. The main issue is the cost vs what it brings to the table. At $800 a G34, M&P pro, XDM, or other factory enhanced long slide pistols are all better options with more features for lower cost. It needs a better factory trigger and not be projectiles sensitive to be competitive in the market place.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat unrelated, but funny:

I was reading this thread and wanted to read a bit more about the differences between this and the new "Speed" version with lightened slide and dovetailed sights and such, when I saw their LRC-2 (a "long range conversion kit" for the Strike one) and it is pictured with a tactical C-more on it backwards. Seems like it might be a touch difficult to use the rear peep sight as a front sight....

http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/products/strike-pistol-system-lrc/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A fellow shooter brought on of these to the match and I dry-fired it in the safety area. The trigger pull and especially reset were horrible. Reset is almost as long as the pull.

Also, AFAIK the original batch which made it into North America was not IPSC Production legal (barrel too long or too short by 1mm, can't recall). I think I've seen it on USPSA Production list nonetheless, but if you go to an international match you may have issues.

Also of note -- the rear sights on the 1st gen were proprietary, molded into the slide cover plate.

I don't know anyone with the 2nd gen of this gun, I hear the sights, barrel length and some other mechanical issues were addressed there, but if the trigger remained the same I'd stay far away from this gun for competitions.

• 3 months later...

Got the Speed model during June, have not been able to put a lot of rounds through it yet.

Been a G17 user in Production for many years.

Once I have been able to shoot it more extensively, will post some more thorough comments.

Initial thoughts

+ Low line of sight / pistol points well

+ Felt recoil is mild, better / different than on my G17

+ Trigger is good for a factory new pistol, quite smooth. Reset is longer than on a G17 for example, whether that is an issue at all remains to be seen.

- The grip is a bit small, for someone used to the G17 like myself

- The factory fiber front sight is quite large

I am a lefty and used to dropping the mag with my trigger finger on my G17, on the Speed if I set it for left side release, my hand contacts it during recoil and the mag will drop quite often. If set up for right side release, the grip needs to be shifted quite a lot to release.

So I ground down the spare mag release that came with the gun, so now it does not drop the mag accidentally ( Not Production class legal anymore, but next matches will be next summer so I will see what can be done in the meanwhile )

I saw Larry Vickers video and factory tour; looks promising.

He posted yesterday that he had gotten his gun in;

My impressions are that they are hurrying this from design to market in a quick fashion....hope the QC is there.

• 1 month later...

Just bought mine today. Bought the "better trigger "version and had the guy order FO from and black back sight along with 3more mags.

It'll be 2-3 weeks Before I will actually have it in my possession. Initial feel was very good ,mtrigger really nice. Had a chance to compare with standard trigger. Big difference.

• 1 month later...