Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you over tumble brass ?

adwade74

With stainless pins it would start to work harden the brass, with the constant hammering of the pins and brass together. After a couple of firing check them for signs of splitting etc.The constant hammering is what is refereed to as cold forming in metal working and jewelery work makes the metal harder. Which isn't what is wanted in reloading. Even dry media tumbling the cases bumping against each other can induce some hardening of the brass. So careful inspections before reloading is a must.

We aren't talking a lot of hardening but it is something to take into consideration.

Edited by glenr

I think the real question here is, "If you have your tumbler in the basement where you can't hear it running and leave brass run for 4 days straight, does it make a sound?" :roflol:

Dry with corncob or walnut nothing happens.

If you do it with stainless (in as little as 24 hours) you will have flat OD green cases that will never shine again, at least any place the pins can touch.

post-6631-0-47578800-1408664355.jpg

Edited by jmorris

If you do it with stainless (in as little as 24 hours) you will have flat OD green cases that will never shine again, at least any place the pins can touch.

@jmorris.... I regularly wet tumble for 2 hour, then let the brass sit in the tumbler overnight.... then run it for another hour or so before removing it. I've never seen anything like that before, probably did 15K pieces of 9mm in just the last few months.

Ultrasonic cleaning took to long, and did not clean as well as the stainless media and wet tumbling.

~g

at least you know what brass is yours.

@jmorris.... I regularly wet tumble for 2 hour, then let the brass sit in the tumbler overnight.... then run it for another hour or so before removing it. I've never seen anything like that before.

That is a total of 3 hours, tumble it for another 21 hours and you will.

Or just tumble them for an hour and call it good.

Yeah if it turned them fluorescent orange I would repeat the process. Camouflage brass is not the best idea if you want to recover it.

Maybe I could market the stuff as superDduper tactical brass just for zombies and vampires and make a million bucks?

Edited by jmorris

@jmorris.... I regularly wet tumble for 2 hour, then let the brass sit in the tumbler overnight.... then run it for another hour or so before removing it. I've never seen anything like that before.

That is a total of 3 hours, tumble it for another 21 hours and you will.

Or just tumble them for an hour and call it good.

. Camouflage brass is not the best idea if you want to recover it.

Maybe I could market the stuff as superDduper tactical brass just for zombies and vampires and make a million bucks?

Tactical brass, when it hits the ground it doesnt reflect light. :ph34r:

I use an Ultrasonic and a tumbler for my brass. Heres an interesting fact I found out . I use White Vinegar and a few drops of lemishine ,rinse, dry, then tumble for approx 4 hours and the brass comes out like new. The other day I put 200 rounds in the ultra sonic, ran for 1/2 hour , drained and then did it again with the same batch of brass and it left a greyish residue inside the brass case that wouldn't tumble out. I'm hopeing when is fired it will "burn" out