Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson PM-9

shotgunone

What do you all think about the Dan Wesson 1911's, most especially the PM9. I had a chance to handle one at the LGS. Really tight and smooth. I thought my STI Trojan was pretty slick for a factory gun but I think this Pointman kind of leaves it in the dust.

Anybody have comments good or bad on the DW PM9? What about accuracy?

Thanks

Edited by shotgunone

I've never seen a negative comment on one.

I recently bought a Springfield 9mm 1911 (I live in California), but was initially looking for a DW PM9. Incredibly hard to find out here with our "Safe Handgun Roster" protecting us from such unsafe guns, thank you degenerate Bliss-Ninnies running this asylum of a state. As luck would have it, one popped up for sale locally up almost immediately after I bought the Springfield.

Springfield is nice enough, more than accurate enough, but required C&S trigger kit (sear had absolutely zero room for polishing or stoning, trigger is sloppy, slide to frame is not what I'd expect for a thousand dollar gun) and thinner front sight along with the rest of the usual upgrades (maxwell, GI recoil system, smooth wood grips with skate tape, and a supply of ten round magazines. In all, I probably spent what I could have paid for the DW to get the Springfield set up.

That said, the Springfield is now a very nice gun, shoots more accurate than it needs to (or should as loose as the frame to slide fit is) and has been utterly reliable with Metalform 10 round magazines. But I could have had this with the DW with little work on my part and about the same money. If you can get one, scoop it up. If you wait, someone else will have it. I doubt you'll regret it, though as stated I've never actually had one in my grubby paws.

I doubt that you will be disappointed.

I've been toying with one and setting it up to shoot single stack minor. Was going to build a 9mm single stack, but after checking out a DW PM9 I abandoned that plan and have no regrets about that decision.

However, nothing is perfect - When I first shot mine I found that the extractor was not tuned very well and was getting jams with every mag. The extractor had very low tension, and not enough hook protrusion to bear against the case extractor groove. About 20 minutes with a file/stones and a little re-tensioning and it ran like a sewing machine. The rest of the gun seems to be perfect. Right now mine is a work in progress - I made a few changes to it and slicked up the trigger (real easy as the factory used quality parts). Probably will make a few more minor changes after shooting it a while. Also, Santa brought me a few Tripp mags and they seem to work really well with this gun - so far they feed every thing from Lead RN to MG JHP bullets with no issues.

Hope you get a break in the weather soon to try her out! :cheers:

post-9934-0-97677100-1420178822_thumb.jp

They are pretty much Rock n Roll. I bought a SSC 40 and then a PM9. They are tight and accurate.

Also come with good parts. Better than my Kimbers, but anyone on this forum knows that. I like them more than my trojan 40.

I have one and it is a great gun. I couldn't get Tripp mags to drop free because of the top round moving forward. I switched to Dawson's and all is well. If you order a Dawson front sight be aware that it seems it is the only gun that uses that cut. There are two different ones I think so make sure you get the correct one.

Has anyone tried to make weight with these using a Ice no gap magwell and G10 Grips. I have been lusting after one being a CZ fan but don't want to put down the $$$ until I know I can make weight. I have heard they can run on the heavy side.

Do you know the weight savings for the standard guide rod? Or even an aluminum GI style? I am trying to find if anyone has actually done this and made weight. It took me a long time to make weight on the Trojan and I have heard the Dan Wesson runs fat to start with.

As a reference, the gun in the picture above weighs in at 42 ounces with a mag.

The parts that were changed or added were: S&A Magwell, RAASCOM grips, titanium mainspring plunger, mainspring, and trigger.

Good tip about the Dawson mags.

Function wise, the Tripps are great. I have dropped empty or nearly empty mags (2-4 rounds left in them) with no problem...need to try dropping mags that only had a couple rounds shot and see if there is a difference.