Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Try doing an action job with one hand

AzShooter

Just got my 929 and it needs work. Double action is 15 lbs,single action is 6 lbs. Hand has tool marks hammer needs to be cleaned up. Trigger needs polishing and rebound spring needs replacement.

Then the cylinders need to be champfered.

I;m having a difficult time using my screwdriver so I think I'll leave everything apart until my arm heals. No scence screwing up th gun

At least I'll be able to waet for new tools.

Fun...fun...fun.

At least S&W is consistent. Almost everyone that seems to be getting one of these "custom shop 929" guns is displeased with fit, finish, action, etc. I have only handled three and all three were not what I was expecting. S&W seems to falling in line with every other manufacture where the price is riding off the coat tales of their history, but current production techniques and QA are in line with low cost manufacturing and high price marketing.

However, I am sure once you get the bugs out and action worked over it will be a sweet blaster.

They are still good kits for building a competitive shooter. My expectations are usually pretty low so I won't be as disapointed. I view them all as "kit" guns. I can see where it would be pretty frustrating if you aren't the type that likes to tinker and fix and just want to buy a good shooter.

The old S&Ws weren't much better. They had nicer external finish back then, but plenty of ratchety machine marks inside.

Generally, the newer guns tune up easier.

That's been my experience too. It's easy to forget that a lot of the old guns we buy have been fixed already.

They are still good kits for building a competitive shooter. My expectations are usually pretty low so I won't be as disapointed. I view them all as "kit" guns.

I would be OK with that if their PC didn't charge about 50% extra for their "performance quality tune" and then sell you a dog that needs a ton of work.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 929 for a customer and have some problems...

comp is damaged, front sight is damaged, action feels like it is filled with sand, gun won't fire DA loaded, there is a lot of play between the extractor rod and the cilinder...

I had to stone the hand a little smaller so it wil fire DA with rounds in the cilinder. without the rounds 1 chamber is out of timing, with 8 rounds the timing is right... lots of play in the extractor. I noticed there are no alignment pins anymore on the extractor/cylinder like my old 686, mod 10, mod 66...

for me PC stands for poor customer instead of Performance Center

gr T