Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need an opinion.....

FF112173

I picked up a used 2010 CZ75 Shadow while I was waiting for a 2014 CZ SP-01 to come from CZC's shop. The 75 Shadow has a pretty short reset but does not have the super short pre-travel in SA mode that the current ones worked over by CZC, Mink or CGW have. As soon as the CZC SP-01 shows up the 75 Shadow is either getting some upgrades with parts from CGW or is going to get sent off to somebody for some trigger work.

I picked up a used 2010 CZ75 Shadow while I was waiting for a 2014 CZ SP-01 to come from CZC's shop. The 75 Shadow has a pretty short reset but does not have the super short pre-travel in SA mode that the current ones worked over by CZC, Mink or CGW have. As soon as the CZC SP-01 shows up the 75 Shadow is either getting some upgrades with parts from CGW or is going to get sent off to somebody for some trigger work.

Any of those trigger experts would be fantastic...

The pistol doesn't make the shooter; the shooters makes the pistol. A CZ SP01 is a GREAT pistol. You can make GM with it. Get it. Get a trigger job done. Install a extended length firing pin w/reduced rate spring (not required if you use Federal primers). Trim 1 to 1 1/2 coils off firing pin block spring. Go with a 11 lb or 8.5 main spring from Cajun Gun Works. 10 or 11 lb recoil spring for 124 gr bullets making 130 PF. Competition hammer and log profile fixed sights. Polish the interior (numerous articles in the Enos forum on what to polish). Spend the difference on power, primers, and bullets and practice.

FWIW That is what my pistol has had done to it. DA ~4 1/4 lb. SA 2 lbs. You can get as low as 1 lb SA with this setup.

All good info, Thank you. GebeBray, That is a lot of work that is way above my ability. Looks like if I decide to go this route I will need to Dollar up and get it done right from the start,

Edited by FF112173

I think you can get a great trigger with a standard SP01 with all the CGW/CZC upgrades and trigger work. That's what I started with and later bought an SP01 Shadow to compare...I wasn't blown away but it might be because there was a bit more work done to the SP01. But that's just me...

A CZ75 SP-01 will run you $900 or so if you do all the polishing and part installs. The custom guns are $1300 and up. Reloading at $0.10 per round is a difference of 4,000 rounds. So, which will do more for your shooting? A really nice sp-01 and 4k rounds to practice, or a slightly better custom sp-01 and no rounds?

I have plenty of stock for reloading rounds. It is a good idea to think about and I did which is why I stocked up on supplies in advance. I shoot steel as well with 1911's so I have a variety of bullets and powders.

I go back and forth on this issue, I've owned Shadows tuned by Mink, CZC, as well as factory SP01s and I can tell you this: an SP01 tuned as far as possible has a lighter trigger and a shorter reset than a tuned Shadow from one of the big builders. The reason is this: these smiths charge what? $125 for an action job, that's basically one hour (two max) of professional service, but to tune a CZ as far as it can be taken takes easily 4-6 times that much time, how many people would pay five times as much for an action job which is maybe 20% better? So they hit the low hanging fruit for a drastic improvement over stock and ship it out.

If you're crazy like me and can't help but do it all over again anyway, can you really justify the extra cost for a Shadow? I know in theory the Shadow has a better potential, but between my best work on a Shadow and my best work on an SP01 I have a hard time telling the difference.

What I like about the SP01, and Shadow models, is that the manual safety versions are not hard to work on. The short reset systems that CZC and CGW provide really helps to makes a great trigger better.

The only difference I could tell between a heavily modded shadow vs a heavily modded SP01 is that the shadow breaks sooner after the reset. This probably has to do with the firing pin block.

The only difference I could tell between a heavily modded shadow vs a heavily modded SP01 is that the shadow breaks sooner after the reset. This probably has to do with the firing pin block.

You've never felt mine :devil: The FPB reset can be drastically reduced with mods to the trigger bar and FPB lifter arm.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191773&p=2157067

Edited by kneelingatlas