Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me choose a gun

I know, right?

Background : Here in CA,, we have been able to get handguns not on "The List" through a process called Single Shot Exemption. Well that goes away at the end of the month for factory built guns.

So I am thinking of getting something off-list just cause.

Only two criteria: 9mm & Full size. So, I have a Glock 17 and like it just fine. I have a STI Open gun & recently picked up a 1911 in 9mm and was thinking of a DA/SA gun.

My thoughts were either a S&W M&P Pro 5" or a Springfield XDM. Between these two, which one and why ?

The CZ SP01 is on the list so getting one after Jan 1 will be easy. The two listed, not easy at all.

Are you saying neither is worth the $ ?

They are basically glocks of a different name

I would go for something more exotic that will be "forbidden"

I have the XDm in 9mm and absolutely love it! Coming from a Glock to this one I fell in love with the trigger. To bad you can't take advantage of the 19 round magazines these come with out there in CA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought about a second STI instead? I'd suggest a 6" Limited 9mm. Some of them look like the old fashioned Open guns with comps and iron sights.

I should still be able to get one after Jan 1 so there is no hurry. The CZ SP-01 is on the list

The 2 listed or a Glock Gen4 will be nearly impossible.

That being said, I like the feel of the M&P Pro slightly more than the XDM. But I have not shot both side by side to compare. Have you considered frequenting a gun range which rents both and found a side by side? In the end, it's what makes you happy.

Grab a SIG P320 while you can. Since it's designed to be modular a single serialize FCU can easily by configured for different calibers and sizes.

Edited by alma

I currently run an XDm after selling off my M&P for it. Personally I like the XDm and to me its a better pistol. That being said I don't think you could go wrong with either, or better yet get both :P

For DA/SA I would say either a Tanfoglio Limited Pro or Stock 2

Edited by Iggy42

Whichever one for your hand better.

Between these two guns I think it will come down to your personal choice.

For me, the final selection criteria for choosing a gun are; how it fits the hand, how it points, the trigger, manual of arms and what kind of aftermarket things you want. M&P's may have more aftermarket things.

The two you have proposed are good guns with good support so reliability and maintainability are not really a factor in your decision.

DNH

Grab a SIG P320 while you can. Sincerely it modular a single serialize FCU can easily by configured for different calibers and sizes.

+1 this pistol has caught my interest too, just for the ability to build a while new gun with that FFL trigger and striker group. Very interesting.

The M&P and XD are both fine guns. I think I could shoot the XDm better, but the M&P has more pleasant ergo...for some reason, being the most comfortable in your hand does not always equal you shooting it the best.

Both should be widely available to rent for a comparison. And, more importantly (disclaimer: I know nothing of CA laws)...wouldn't it seem that those two pistols, being sold by two of the largest manufacturers, are some of the most likely to eventually be on 'the list'? Just seems to me that if you're going to have one last hurrah before the new legislature goes into effect, you might as well use it on something that you won't ever get a chance to buy again. The CZ's and Tanfo's seem more likely to end up in that category, no?

GEE ! It would be easier to help you pick a woman.

But since we are talking guns. I would buy the new Sig 320 9mm Full Size. They cost about $520.00 and I have had the pleasure to touch, hold, feel, and shoot this gun. I currently have five Sigs, 2 STI, 2 Colt, 1 M&P and finally got rid of the glock.

This NEW Sig is the bomb, Great firearm, and I will bet M&P, Glock, CZ, XD the list goes on, will suffer greatly when the market finds this jewel. It is truly a winner winner chicken dinner! :bow:

:cheers: