Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinion on the walther ppq 5" for competition

ICEMAN550

Honestly, out of the box for production division, I think both will run about the same. I don't believe either would give a significant competitive advantage. Its more in the realm of the indian, not the arrow at that point. I think either will get the job done, and they are both great guns.

I think it will be a lot cheaper and easier to get a holster, mag pouches, magazines, and aftermarket sights for the Glock. In the long run when it comes time to replace recoils spring or other parts, again the cheaper and easier to find for would be the Glock. Your going to want to do something with the trigger. The Glock 34 trigger can be a lot better just by changing out the striker spring with one of reduced power which is like $6, and a reduced power firing pin safety block spring which is another $3. So basically $9 and the Glock then has a somewhat significantly better trigger than the Walther, where the Walther may have had a slightly better trigger before.

I have no idea if aftermarket sights, or trigger components are even available for the Walther. I'm pretty sure for the time being, your going to be stuck playing with it as is straight out of the box.

Just my opinion though.

Thank you! That's about what I was thinking. Interested in the glock trigger work you discussed. If minor modifications can give the glock a better trigger than the ppq, that would be great. I was planning on spending some $$ on a competition trigger kit. If the glock had the ppq trigger, I wouldn 't mess with it. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Walther had a demo at area 4 this year and have to say bothe the standard and comp model had a nice trigger out of the box and felt very good while shooting. However........ they need to move or do something else with the mag release as it seems to be way too easy to hit the mag button and drop the mag before you are ready and it happened to two other guys as well.

I have a few PPQs and a few Glocks with the ZEV ultimate trigger, which I think is about as good as it gets with a Glock. It may be a bit lighter than then stock PPQ trigger, but the PPQ still has better take up, break, and reset.

That said, I shoot my Glocks because they're easier to get parts for. Dawson and 10-8 make PPQ sights, and you can get holsters and mag pouches, but that's about it.

• 1 month later...

Thanks again for the videos, Patrick. I know you shot these guns at steel matches but if you get a few minutes, could you compare the ease of reloading the pistols you've reviewed? HK VP9, Grand Power K100, CZ P09, and Walther PPQ - if you could rank them from toughest to easiest to mag change, that would be great information for anyone wanting to buy one of these for USPSA Production division. Please.

Thanks again for the videos, Patrick. I know you shot these guns at steel matches but if you get a few minutes, could you compare the ease of reloading the pistols you've reviewed? HK VP9, Grand Power K100, CZ P09, and Walther PPQ - if you could rank them from toughest to easiest to mag change, that would be great information for anyone wanting to buy one of these for USPSA Production division. Please.

Good suggestion. I will work on testing and provide that feedback!

The one PPQ that I handled had a trigger out of the box that just smoked anything in polymer that I've ever felt (out of the box) and by a loooooooooong ways too. "Sweet" was the only way to describe it and I doubt you can match it with just box parts, it's going to take some smithing. But I'd still go with the Glock for the reasons already stated.

I have a PPS for carry and a P99 for a bedside/ car gun. Love both of them and they have always gone boom and shot well. I was looking at the newer Walther releases at the last couple of gun shows and do not think they will work for me, I can handle the paddle style mag release on the trigger guard but would prefer a 'American normal' release button. On the new styles with the release moved I do not have enough real estate to keep from hitting the release. Don't know if that is because I have mitts for hands or if that will affect lots of folks. A real shame as the guns feel great in my hand otherwise.

I thought long and hard about the PPQ and nearly bought one several times but always gave myself an excuse to buy one. Still wish I had one, but I think there are things I would rather buy before it (VP9, CZ P09, SIG P320)

To Patrick: I think it would be great if you also reviewed the SIG P320 if you are able. A comparison video between this new wave of high quality pistols would be really great too. Love your videos by the way, the groups at the end are something I especially like.

How heavy is that trigger? How is the reset?

Do you have a lot of accessories: holster, spare magazines, aftermarket sights?

How well does it track from target to target?

Do you see anyone shooting it in IPSC in Europe above C level?

Trigger scale in the video shows 5# 4.5oz Video shows the reset (shortest of the guns tested so far).

Lots of accessories? I believe sights are available as are holsters and mags.

In my hand and again on the video it tracked rather well.

I don't know anyone in Europe.

Is anyone shooting a PPQ, reloading for it? Do you have problems with very short throated chambers? I have a buddy that I'm trying to help out and his will not accept a Bear Creek 135g RN load with WST that I have used in several guns at 1.150 OAL. You have to go down to 1.060 to get it to chamber.

Edited by Boxerglocker

• 4 months later...

Is anyone shooting a PPQ, reloading for it? Do you have problems with very short throated chambers? I have a buddy that I'm trying to help out and his will not accept a Bear Creek 135g RN load with WST that I have used in several guns at 1.150 OAL. You have to go down to 1.060 to get it to chamber.

Sorry, i know thus is an old thread, but i just started to reload for the ppq and yes, it has a mighty short throat. I had to load 124 gn round nose (sns casting coated bullets) at 1.060. (+- dillon toolhead squiggle). They run well at that length and ive run about 400 rounds loaded to that length with 4.3 gn of win 231. No misfeeds (or kbooms).

I also have about 5k of bear creek 135gn round nose. Hopefully the same oal will work though the bullet is longer ... However the 135gn will also need less powder than the 124s. I did not chrononthe loads.

The same 124gn rn loads ran nicely from a cz75 as well.

I had a ppq 4in model and loved it. I bought a universal spring pack from home Depot and got my trigger pull down to 2 lbs. My problem was that I would always lock the slide back in the middle of a sting. I have small hands so maybe if yours are big then you won't have this issue. The only thing I didn't like about the pistol is the long first shot pretravel while being very light was impossible to remove.