Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Narrowing down optics

OscarMike

Vortex 1-6

Swfa ss 1-6

Burris xtr ii 1-5

Leupold vx6 1-6

I really like the idea of the swfa, but don't like that it doesn't have a BDC and is mil instead

The leupold reticle would be perfect if if had a BDC, but it has 2.5mil pointless hash marks.

The vortex JM-1 reticle looked really fat last time I looked at it

The Burris reticle seems really busy.

Any other options I'm missing in that price range?

Anyone have experience and want to push me one way or another with these? I'm really intrigued by the swfa, but don't want to have to memorize hold overs.

I have a JM and like it quite a bit. The glass is great and the dot, while small does not get washed out. I would say that the JM reticle is closer to the minimalist BDC reticle as compared to something like the Leupold MK6. I would suggest for your consideration a leupold MK4 1.5-5, its a great scope and 1/2 of many of the others and its great glass. You really need to play with a scope on the range in dim light to see where the extra money spent on glass comes in.

The reticle in the vx-6 is pretty much worthless. It's a shame cause the rest of the scope is gtg. I've heard lots of good things about the burris, and the vortex. The Leupold is the only one on your list I have owned. I switched to the Swaro and don't regret it one bit.

Well I must admit the title of this gave me an image of a big old file in one hand and a scope in the other.....kinda like narrowing a front sight :)

As for optics I really like the Vortex 1x6 with the J.M. reticle. I had the Swaro and didn't like the mils AT ALL! The Vortex matches the ammo I use for the zeros I like to run out to 600 yards. It is tough, bright, and the illumination locks on or off. Much better than the Swaro for me!

Yeah, I really don't spend a lot of time trying to figure out all the stadia lines and stuff. I just try to shoot enough to know my rifle and my holds... We are shooting pretty big targets (most of the time) not prairie dogs. I have a Vortex Razor HD 1-6 and it is a great scope super clear and bright and you see very little of the tube so it looks like the reticle is on your eyeball. I also have a VX-6 it works well for me (I actually prefer it. Maybe because it is so light). I have a Mark 6 and a Valdada... not sure about the FFP and the reticles in both are very busy on higher power. I have a Docter also. it is a great piece of glass with only a FFP dot... As Pat Kelly would say, "pick one and practice"