Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BOSS holster hanger review

ktm300

In one word, WOW!

Now more words.

I have been using a Blade-Tech holster for my 1911 single stack rig for a while. The Blade-Tech is OK but I am on the overweight side and it does sit pretty close. I do have trouble getting the same grip every time. I ordered one of the BOSS holster hangers and put it on my belt last night. OK here is the single word review again, WOW!

It is well within the 2" from the inner belt and sits high enough in the top attachment point to be legal in SS. It is just amazing how much simpler it is to get a good draw from this holster just by spending the $50 to order the hanger. Three reasons, first, it's farther away from my body and I can get a good grip faster and more constantly. Second being able to tweak the angle exactly where I want it. Third, it is stiffer so when I grab it the gun doesn't move.

To adjust it I got the gun out in my normal shooting stance and tweaked the holster so it went in the smoothest without having to look at it.

I have been drawing from the same holster for a few months now and was kind of scared that moving it would hurt my draw. It did not hurt any, it helped a lot. All I have done is dry fire it so far so no real idea of how much better, but it feels faster and more consistent. I will know Friday when I get to do some live fire practice.

I bought the whole boss holster set up and i also like it very much. i was using the double alpha pdr pro before i switched guns and decided to try the boss and wasnt dissapointed. glad it came with the thumb screws too when you buy the whole boss holster

• 2 weeks later...

I don't use mine for 3 gun but I'm sure this would stay put while running around. The connector from the belt to the holster is very secure so it'll stay put. Plus having thumb screws you can wrench down the retention enough that you could do back flips and it wouldn't pop out.

• 2 months later...

I just bought a BOSS hanger to help my wife with her draw (Steel Challenge). It's a nice piece of gear and will work much better than the BladeTech DOH. My wife currently uses a 1.5" leather gun belt, not the double belt setup that would be truly ideal. With a double belt you can use Loctite or similar to ensure that the belt loop screws don't back out. Looping a single belt through belt loops will require the hanger to be clamped to the belt at the start of each competition. While this isn't a problem, using Loctite won't be very practical. Any suggestions as to how best to secure the screws? Maybe slightly longer screws and back them up with a nut?

I really like the BOSS. I ordered a BladeTech Competition One holster for my CZ 75 TS. I did not like the DOH part at all and the belt loop was not secure enough to keep the holster in place when using a leather 1.5" belt. The BOSS solves all those problems.

RickT, buy her a DAA double belt setup and be done with it. I'd already have one if Ben Stoeger's hadn't backordered them. My gun weighs 44oz without a mag and the weight makes the holster "sag" so the muzzle points toward you leg instead of straight down. To fix that and get the muzzle to point down I have to cinch up the belt very tight so the leather doesn't flex. That's uncomfortable. Also, having to mess with the belt loop every time you put it on or take it off gets old very quickly. A rigid outer belt solves those problems, especially for curvy female anatomies. One woman at the club (quite curvy) uses the BT DOH on a flexible belt. It sags so much I have no idea how she draws from it.

.... RickT, buy her a DAA double belt setup and be done with it. .....

Thanks for the input. I did just order a BladeTech speed belt (?) which should do the trick. She only needs the holster and possibly a dump sack on her belt. I'm sticking the a Tek-Lok holster mount on my 1.5" leather gun belt - same as I use in IDPA. I simply don't understand some of these DOH gizmos that are designed to tilt the barrel inward. The BOSS hanger is a very good design.

Other than the tool less tension adjustment, what does the BOSS offer over the Blade-tech DOH Dropped and Offset? The BOSS is $30 more and I don't need thumbscrew tension adjustment. Is one's drop section more rigid than the other? As others have mentioned, I'm worried about it flopping around while running.

Based on my wife's experience if you have a narrow waist the Blade-Tech might be fine, but for others the muzzle will point inwards at the shooter's thigh; I'm not sure this would even be legal in IDPA. We use TekLok accessory attachments and though I like the TekLok the clamping action of the BOSS on a good belt seems to be much more rigid.

Other than the tool less tension adjustment, what does the BOSS offer over the Blade-tech DOH Dropped and Offset? The BOSS is $30 more and I don't need thumbscrew tension adjustment. Is one's drop section more rigid than the other? As others have mentioned, I'm worried about it flopping around while running.

I'm using mine for 3 gun, and it feels secure, doesn't feel like it's flopping around. While running. I really like it. The adjustable cant is worth it alone, for me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information. I just picked up a UM Tactical mount and holster so I can shoot limited and open with the same gun. I just need to get a rail attached to my Para Pro Custom 18.9 and find a holster that is compatible with it. I may contact Ben Stoeger and see if they can do something custom.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information. I just picked up a UM Tactical mount and holster so I can shoot limited and open with the same gun. I just need to get a rail attached to my Para Pro Custom 18.9 and find a holster that is compatible with it. I may contact Ben Stoeger and see if they can do something custom.

I just wanted to make certain you were aware.. UM tactical has a holster for their mount. I do not know if it will fit you brand however. Also the Boss hanger is the ONLY way to go. Night and day.

• 2 weeks later...

I started out in production w/ a Safariland 5198 using their belt loops (terrible). The holster was decent, the loops were awful (very thick and created a huge space between the inner and outter belt), and it road pretty high and somewhat tight. Ordered the Boss hanger and bladetech holster last week, which just came in a few days ago. Its a HUGE improvement. I think it puts the gun exactly where I always wanted the safariland to be. I would have been ok with continuing the use the safariland holster if it had fit the boss hanger, but it doesn't unfortuntately. Even though I had no issues w/ the previous holster I am more than pleased with the switch to the bladetech. It is a solid holster and the thumb adjustable tension is an excellent added feature. Also, on top of putting the gun where I want it, the Boss hanger seems to be rock solid, which is definitely a plus. Overall very happy w/ my purchase.