Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Quest for the Sub 3 El Prez

Jake Di Vita

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gabe-- Sub-5 second El Prezes? I can see you've been practising! Hope to see you in the Green Mts. some time soon.

Turtle-- They had an El Prez at the 2002 Factory Nationals, and Sevigny won it in Production in with 58 pts. in 5.39. No one broke four seconds (TJ was fastest at 5.30), and only five competitors were below 6.

It seems that the ripple effect of Jake's quest may be to raise the bar to a scary degree... :blink:

Elye A.

Gabe-- Sub-5 second El Prezes?

When I went to just hanging the hits on the paper they got alot faster :) And only two of them were sub-5. And it can't be the practice, it has to be the lack of it. I can't tell you how many pts there were, we weren't keeping track, just taking a look and seeing if they were all there somewhere. To tell you the truth, just shooting to hit the targets and not worrying about the points was a big difference mentally. Every couple runs there would be a clean miss, but not as many as I expected, and you knew it when you missed, too. It was an eyeopener.

To get sub-5 without worrying the points you really only have to do a 1.1 or so draw and then a bunch of .24's with a 1.5 reload, which is very doable for alot of people who don't think they can without having really tried it just hanging them on the target, I'd expect. I bet anyone who can do a 2-second bill drill should be able to do a sub-5 prez like this (just on the paper). I hit the 2 sub-5's with about the same frequency I hit the 2-second all-zero's on the bill drill. About 1 in 10 tries or so.

I understand where the people are coming from saying this is a 'circus trick', I get smoked on field courses constantly and am a very mediocre IPSC shooter, but if you just put the pieces together, you can crank out a decent el prez.

10yds, targets 1 yd apart at shoulder, speed reload, no concealment...if I got that right.

- Gabe

PS: I can't wait to get out your way this year, Elye. This is the year...I can feeeeel it! ;) The jones is getting worse by the minute...

So I guess the new platform is to your liking? Thats an awesome run...

Thanks Matt, yah, the gun's fine. I feel that it's got a lot to offer for the Production shooter, but now more than ever I believe that it's shooter. We've all heard it and said a hundred times before but I believe it and I feel it now! Hope to see you on the range soon bro...

Just so I'm clear, it's at 10 yards, right?

Yep...10 yds, back to targets & wrists above shoulders too. :D

I can do sub 5 seconds el presidentes but the hits are not that good above 11 down. those sub 4's of steve's are smoking!!!!

my personal record is 5.4 down 4. now i have to practice again because of these posts :(

McOliver 10 yards 30 feet 3 targets spaced 3 feet or 1 yard apart. IIRC

I have been motivated by Jake and Steve to step up my woeful practice regimen a little bit and have been dryfiring the Prez the last couple evenings. At first my par was running mid 5’s with clean sight pictures. Just tonight I ran a half dozen nice and smooth at 4.7-4.8‘s with sight pictures on every squeeze. I ran one at a match last year cold start in 7.sumthinemberassing with over 10 points down ;-/ That was a real eye opener about the cold start, do it on demand thing.

Given that I am looking at being able to do it under 5 dry (probably a low to flat 5 in live fire if I am lucky), I am certain that someone who is really working at it, real seriously is gonna take 2 seconds off that for sure.

Go Jake, Go Steve, keep on it and thanks again for motivating us all.

--

Regards,

This thread has pumped me up as well. Heck, I've even been talking about it with some of my non-shooting friends ( they have no idea what an El-Prez is ;) ). I've been dry firing, reloading (1200 rd. of production ammo last weekend), and preparing to start shooting matches every weekend.

Godd luck Jake and Steve. Thanks for the inspiration!! B)

I can't view that video right now at work, but isn't it only on one target?

doesnt show the targets, but i think youre right. plus he starts at high ready, facing the target.

if nothing else, it shows how damn hard it will be to get a turning draw, 6 shots on 3 targets, a reload, and 6 more shots on 3 targets.

not that it cant be done...just that if it is, it will be a very impressive feat.

Yes he is incredible. The eight on one target from ready in under one second and the eight on 4 targets in just over one second videos of him are very impressive too.

But, no draw, no turn, minor ammo and it’s a different story (I think Jerry’s targets are at only seven yards too). Plus, the wheelgun reload, even done by Jerry is not as efficient as an auto reload will be when done at GM speed.

IMHO, Jerry doing that shows again, how the full on Prez can and will be done under 3 flat and soon too.

BTW, notice how they don’t go down to Jerry‘s targets and show the hits. I am sure he got hits, but I bet they are not all A’s.

I know I am now going to do my best to get into the mid 4’s with live fire and good hits myself. Why, because I know I can do it if I want to do it

Go Steve! Go Jake!

--

Regards,

I just did a 1.8 sec El Prez in dry fire! I'm just going to forego the sub-3, and just go straight for the sub-2! All in a day's work. :lol::lol:

Here's another goal to shoot for. A clean El Prez at 25yds (all A's) in under 5sec. I want to keep everyone distracted....uhhh... I mean motivated. :P

Here's another goal to shoot for.  A clean El Prez at 25yds (all A's) in under 5sec.  I want to keep everyone distracted....uhhh... I mean motivated.  :P

Now there is the one of the best ideas I've heard of in a while. I'm down for that!!!

edited for spelling b/c I'm an idiot

Here's another goal to shoot for.  A clean El Prez at 25yds (all A's) in under 5sec.  I want to keep everyone distracted....uhhh... I mean motivated.  :P

No there is the one of the best ideas I've heard of in a while. I'm down for that!!!

I knew you'd like that one Dave!

Anybody that pushes toward a goal like this will certainly learn quite a bit about thier shooting along the path.

Probably one of the more sensible comments in this thread.

;)

Good luck, and make sure you post the video.

be