.14 split---------1.50

.8 reload--------2.30

.14 split---------2.44

.14 transition---2.58

.14 split---------2.72

.14 transition---2.86

.14 split---------3.00

= 3.00

In my case I have a hard time gonig faster than a .14 split consistently, so I'm going to need to shave a hundreth or two from the draw and/or reload.

My dry fire practice session just now (yes I know it's 1:35 AM...I'm out of my mind) went like this.

First warm up with basic drills.

10 reps - turn surrender draw - .8 par time

10 reps - 1st 6 shots of el prez - 1.5 par time

10 reps - 1st 6 shots + reload and 1 shot - 2.3 par time

10 reps - full el prezidente - 3.0 par time

I did that set of drills about 3 times until I could get it under 3.0 at least 75% of the time. Going to repeat tomorrow morning, afternoon, and night, with other dry fire drills spread throughout the day.

Unfortulantly, I won't be able to live fire practice until at least March...hopefully a little warmer by then as the gun don't like sub 0 temperatures. ;)

As the quest continues, I will keep posting my progress.

Anderson, you're more than welcome to chime in here and let us all know how you are doing too. ;)

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake, it cant be done. I will give you the .8 draw, but on a 10 yard target what about points? .14 splits ok, but again its 10 yards and points will suffer. Here is what I dont think you can do, or anybody. .14 transitions. And a .8 reload? Not with a good hit at 10 yards.

More realistic

Draw 1.0

6 .15 splits

4 transitions .22

reload 1.0

I still havent done that and damn few that have. And at least get good hits. There was a challenge a couple time put out by Gungames I think you had to do a 3.95 clean. the super squad at 2 nationals got a shot at it. Nobody did it. Not Robbie, Todd, Jerry. Doug Koenig was the closest at one I was at.

Bottom Line, Sub 3 , No Way!

Everyone also told Roger Bannister the 4 minute mile couldn't be done, including doctors who said it was physically impossible...

Just because no one has done it yet does not make it impossible. It can be done, it will be done, and there is not a doubt in my mind I will do it. I'm not asking for all Alphas, just all hits on the paper.

;)

Jake, its good to have goals but they need to be realistic. I am not so sure you can go through the motions in that time much less hit the targets.

If you do accomplish it then I expect you to win the next championship. You will be bigger than Robbie.

I would like to hear what Brian has to say about those numbers.

i don't know if you guys have seen jake shoot in person but this VERY young man is extremely fast.

i.e. his open stage debut with the open gun was a turkey speed shoot at an indoor club. nine shots fired on three targets in 2.15 seconds. if he can get the transitions down i can see jake obtaining this goal.

thanks to jake i have cleaned out the basement and setup the el prez and started dry firing for the first time, EVER!

i guess i better crack open mr. andersons dry fire book, so much for coasting.

chuck, i would agree that it probably couldn't be done with all alphas.

The first time Steve and I met in person we talked about this very same thing. About how over time the El Prez just kept getting shot quicker and quicker. We both agreed that somewhere, there is some guy that can perform it in a speed that we've never seen before, because it is humanly possible as Jake pointed out by breaking it down.

Will we ever see it happen, dunno? But Jake might do it.

Anderson's 10 A's and 2 Cs in 3.69 seconds. can be seen here:

http://andersonshooting.com/videos.htm

His El Prez is about the third video down the page.

Also, of interest to this thread is Steve's 1.39 for six A's on three targets. Basically a Bill Drill, but using 3 targets instead of one. He found his transition could actually be faster than his splits here. (I think it is the 8th video down the page.)

At the height of my dry fire obsession, I was doing dry el prez's at 3.4 with no effort at all...I am looking forward to this new challenge!

I figure we'll need to get to 2.8 dry to guarantee a 3 flat live fire time...

The 3.69 had kind of a bad draw with a pretty good reload and .16 splits, so it's all got to get better.

Can't wait!

SA

Ok, if its any 12 hits and you can shoot it as many times as you want until you just happen to connect then maybe , just maybe. Do it on demand consistently, Absolutely no way.

Jake no offense but I looked up your scores on USPSA.com and you are an above average master sitting at 92%. Not even the top GM's could do a 3.95 with all a's.

I did hear Todd say he got it down in the high 3's in practice but didnt do it when it counted.

IPSC shooting isnt just about standing there doing draws and splits. You have to be able to do it in a real match along with everything else that winners do. We have too many paper Gm's that get their card form shooting classifies over and over instead earning it in competition. I advocated at one time to not allow shooters to make GM unless they showed that level of ability at matches. If we did this there wouldnt be very many GM's and everybody wants to see allot of GM's at their match so that idea went nowhere.

Speed wins some matches but Consistency wins most of them.

I believe it can be done, in fact I have so much faith in you guys, that I already prepared a new challenge for you:

0.55 draw---------0.55

0.08 split---------0.63

0.09 transition---0.72

0.08 split---------0.80

0.09 transition---0.89

0.08 split---------0.97

0.60 reload-------1.57

0.08 split---------1.65

0.09 transition---1.74

0.08 split---------1.82

0.09 transition---1.91

0.08 split---------1.99

= 1.99 seconds!

Nah, seriously, the sub 2 Prez was a joke (or wasn't?), but I DO believe a sub 3 is possible. And I'll go as far as making a "bet".

Two words, one name. Steve. Anderson.

Chuck, I understand that. In my post I never said that dong this would increase my performance in matches, nor do I really think it will...which is why I only devote a portion of my dry fire practice to this goal. The reason I want to do it is to do something no one else has done in the history of shooting. I also never said I'd be able to do it on demand every time. I would never even consider trying to shoot an el prez sub 3 in a match, chances are I'd aim for the mid 4's because I know I can do that on demand every time. I totally understand consistency is what wins matches, but winning matches is not the title of this thread.

Now please let's keep this thread for posting progress and encouragement. Anything else you would like to talk about I am more than happy to talk about over PMs or email.

I will now reiterate. The sub 3 el prez WILL be done.

Yea, I sort of went on a tangent. I am known for that. Sorry. Since I am only allowed to make a post that only offers encouragement instead of reality I will refrain from any more post on this subject. Go for the 3.95 all a's . Its never been done when it counted, but it can be done.

My post was on thread except the one paragraph. Sorry you didnt like what I said.

You can try to teach the young by relaying your own experiences but until they learn it on their own and experience it themselves, as you did, they will never truly understand it like you.