Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good lightweight barrel

mtwashingtonhunter

My best friend is hoping to build a 6-6.5lb rifle...the one area he's struggling with is barrel.

He will be using this as an all purpose run and gun fun rifle with flip up sights.

I've mentioned Rainier, JP, and Noveske...anyone care to advise him in some other directions?

@16", fluted or non, doesn't matter...223/5.56, Wylde also fine, saw some using Voodoo trying a search...not familiar with them myself.

Appreciate any replies/opinions.

Edited by mtwashingtonhunter

The Daniel Defense lightweight mid-length gas is a good choice. Bravo Company also makes one, and paired with their KMR hand guard makes for a very light combo.

If your friend doesn't care about chrome lined, then the Voodoo Innovations ultralight mid-length gas is another to look at.

Mick

I have the Voodoo UL 16.5 with rifle gas. I screwed one together that came in at 5#6oz with irons. This was 100 yards thrown across the range bag (scoped so as not to make you think I can shoot).

BA685C3C-6C46-49F1-B818-3E7024F0FFB2_zps

Edited by dogtired

Pretty standard stuff. 25 gr H335 behind a Hornady 55gr FMJ runs just fine for me. That's running a full weight carrier and buffer. Just this weekend I ordered a VDI low mass BCG and plan on adding a Taccom low mass buffer system to drop my reciprocating mass and get my gas turned down a bit further.

I run a voodoo innovations 14.5" barrel with a pinned and welded sjc titan with a voodoo LM BCG AND a taccom ul recoil system and it is awsome for hosing stages. I just run an aluminum cmore and it weighs right at 6 lbs. I love the gun it shoots soft and fast

16.5 rifle gas voodoo barrel here.

no issues to date and I've shot to 540yds in matches this year.

I shoot 69gr handloads, but did break out some 55gr AE and Federal XM193 to see how it ran and hand no issues.

I also have a lightweight Rubber City Armory BCG and Taccom ULW buffer system with Syrac Gen II gas block.....so I don't know how it would move with full weight internals and light bullets.

My build using the Voodoo 16.5 has not been reliable using the lightweight BCG but is very reliable with a standard weight one. I do not think that is the barrels fault.

It rips thru Am Eagle factory stuff and likes my home rolled stuff too. It did double feed some of my home rolled stuff (loaded longer) at the last match I shot but I switched to factory and all was well again.

Edited by dogtired