Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

separating SPP from LPP .45 cases

kcobean

I'm just getting around to sorting all of the .45 brass that I've picked up over time. Sometimes it's hard to spot the small-primer brass, particularly if the primer has flattened at all. Anybody come up with any good suggestions/tips/tricks to make this easier so I don't squash LPP's during reloading?

The only advice I can offer is to learn what headstamps are showing up with small primers and inspect them more closely. You could also decap before sorting. Blazer and Federal are the two brands with small primers that I seem to be encountering recently.

If you tumble them some before sorting they are easy to spot. My 11 year old helps me sort, so I don't think they are too difficult.

The two most common brands for me are Federal and Blazer for SPP, but my last batch that I sorted I came up with one each of speer and one other brand.

CCI embraced the SPP 45acp early. No best method unfortunately, looking at every case is the only way. Someone with ingenuity will figure something out. Sorting SPP from LPP is a PITA!

Quickest way I've found to inspect brass is using three factory 50 count trays. The trays with the square sides work best and you'll need 45 trays

to inspect 45 cases. Place two trays in a box open side up pour cases in the trays most will land head stamp down. Inspect the inside of the case then

use the third tray like a primer flip tray and inspect the bases. Loading on 550's and 650'5 no swager.

Use 40 trays to inspect 38 Special/357 mag. 9mm easy to spot super cases or 380's that worked their way into the tumbler.

• 3 weeks later...

These small primer pocket cases are an abomination! They completely ruin the flow, and tend to damage the primer below them in as the seating stroke is rejected. I have a hard time seeing them before the primers are removed and have in the past opted to cull them out during reloading. Similar to others, I'm seeing a ton more Federal and Blazer headstamps in range pickups, whereas a year ago there were just enough to be occasionally annoying.

I love the ingenuity, Burned Out! I'd love to have something like that for my machine!

• 1 month later...

It is a two step process for me....

#1 I look through the brass as I pick them up and throw the SP stuff in the trash there

#2 for the ones I miss when I pick them up i notice them when I try and seat a primer on my 650 and it won't seat I just take that case pick the LP up and put a SP in its place and move on

Edited by newmexicocrawler

DQ 'ing sounds a little harsh.

I have thousands of small match rifle primers left over from my bench rest days

I used to trash cases with small primer pockets too, until I discovered small rifle primers work just fine in my 45 autos.

Now I just can't seem to find enough of sp brass.

• 4 weeks later...

Easiest way to avoid SP .45 cases is to DQ any shooter caught using them in a match. That's standard practice at our range. :roflol:

Hey now, I do my best to shoot SPP cases at matches and then try to recover and equal or greater amount of LPP brass. ;)