Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Powder for open 2011 with comp

Revofan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vectan SP2

I skipped this one because I didn't want to sound boastful ;)

I sold 24 pounds of this a year or two ago....not all that impressed.

For the OP, if you're going to shoot Minor, stay away from the slower powders on that chart...they aren't what you want.

Edited by G-ManBart

Vectan SP2

I skipped this one because I didn't want to sound boastful ;)

I sold 24 pounds of this a year or two ago....not all that impressed.

For the OP, if you're going to shoot Minor, stay away from the slower powders on that chart...they aren't what you want.

Ahha, I caught you!! Bart does still visit us once in a while!!

Ok I was able to score some HS6 today. I'm still new to the open game. Is it better than autocomp?

It takes ~1gr more HS-6 to make the same PF so in theory it give you more gas, but I haven't yet done a blind taste test. It is dirtier and maybe a hair harsher.

Regarding dirtiness, I had just the opposite experience in my shorty. I get the black carbon coating on the ramp, chamber, breechface, etc with both. I don't notice much difference in the dirtiness of the comp, but I had more of what looked to be unburned granules (goldish in color) with WAC. I don't have that residue with HS-6. Loads were 7.2gr WAC under a MG 124 JHP and 8.9gr HS-6 under a MG 115 JHP.

try some VV 3N38 or N350 if you can get it. I do get the odd unburnt little gold granules like you describe but powder fouling throughout the gun is way less than with any of the other few powders I've tried. it smells nice too. :) my load is 10.3gn of 3N38 with a 124gn RN CMJ BUT it's in 38 super not 9mm. the VV powder definitely cuts down my gun dirtiness. :)

Ok I was able to score some HS6 today. I'm still new to the open game. Is it better than autocomp?

It takes ~1gr more HS-6 to make the same PF so in theory it give you more gas, but I haven't yet done a blind taste test. It is dirtier and maybe a hair harsher.
Mine is the opposite. HS6 is the softest of the 9 Major powders to me. WAC is still a good powder but I would put HS6 and Sil over it easily, True Blue slightly over it and equal about to the rest.

• 3 weeks later...

I ran out of Tite Group and had a bunch of W-231. It seems to work well for 9mm minor. I'm using 124 RN's. Either Extreme or Montana Gold. It sure would be great if we could get a variety of powders avaiable again, but that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.

I like 3N37, Autocomp and Silhouette are close 2nds.

I'm sure you probably have done, but if not give 3N38 and N350 a try. especially in your gun with the ported barrel and your very nice looking comp the 3N38 should make plenty of gas to get it really working. :) Though if you like 3N37 you may prefer N350 to 3N38 as it sits somewhere between 3N37 and 3N38.

• 4 weeks later...

That's a good point actually. the coated lead stuff shoots a decent bit faster than CMJ or FMJ's do. Shooting coated lead 115s or 124s in 9mm may open up more powder options that wouldn't otherwise be viable.

I too, am new at Open Guns,, currently shooting 115 CMJ's and AC.. but running low I do have some faster powders,, N320, Unique, & WST,, anyone have any suggestions about Bullet / Powder combos I also have some 124gr Bayou Bullets (coated lead).. in stock. HELP!

My gun is a 9 major, 3N37 fills the case I don't think 3N38 would work.

3N38 will work in 9 major matter of fact I think it shoots the best

Dont forget his gun has barrel holes not just a comp. they slow the bullet velocity quite a bit. so for the same load that makes PF in your gun may not make PF in his.

I do agree 3N38 is a great open/major powder. My tanfog 38 super open gun loves it but needs 10.4gn of the stuff!!

Edited by BeerBaron

ahh, ok, in that case you are certainly in a position to know! it must be a lively thing with the short barrel and ports. :)

don't get me wrong, my gold team is the V12 so has 12 small barrel ports (6 down each side of the barrel in a V) and a 2 chamber comp so I know what LOUD is!