Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 Custom Shadow rear sight loose

1eyedfatman

I have a CZ 75 Custom Shadow which I bought new from the CZ custom shop a few months ago (August). The rear sight has worked loose. It wiggles a little left and right. They recommended putting some loctite on it. Not sure how to go about this. There appears to be a sit screw going down from the top into the slide. Can/should that set screw be removed with an allen wrench or something? Not sure if I should just work the loctite around the edges and down that set screw or if I need to remove the screw (somehow) put some loctite on its thread and down the hold and tighten it back up. Anybody know? If not, I'll have to try to reach the custom shop by phone next week.

If you can remove the sight by loosening that setscrew, great. Slide it all the way out and apply Loc-Tite to the sloping sides of the part that fits into the dovetail (not the bottom of the dovetail itself). Slide it back in and snug down the setscrew.

You might do the removal, clean-up, etc. at home and do the actual installation at the range. Once that Loc-Tite sets up, you're not going to be able to drift the sight left and right, so it needs to be zeroed within a few minutes of installation.

Yes, I had the same thing happen to mine....but it was at an Area match. :angry2:

Since then, I've used Red Loctite on the dovetail and Blue Loctite on the threads without issue. You can still remove it later.

Edited by huskerlrrp

One thing you might also want to try is to replace the original set screw with a longer one. I have found that the original when tightened all the way, it really is only holding on by a couple of threads in the sight, therefore a longer set screw will have more "holding power". Mine came loose and once I did this, I've gone through two seasons with no issues whatsoever.

Mine too came loose within a week of receiving the gun. I re-zeroed the gun pulled out the set screw And marked the the spot on the dovetail where the set screw rested.. then took a 1/16" drill pit and placed a very shallow spot for the tip of the set screw to recess in and blue lactate

I'd think about pulling the sight completely off, turning it upside down and putting it on a telephone book and dimpling the underside of the sight with a sharp punch. Give it some good smacks. Afterwards, it should be tighter in the sight cut. I'd also clean the cut and the underside of the sight and install it with red loctite. Use blue on the set screw.

I won't rely on loctite only to hold a rear sight on. I like a much tighter fit. I think of loctite as insurance rather than the agent that holds a sight in place.

• 5 months later...

Anyone order a spare rear sight in case it gets lost during a match? If so does the replacement need fitting? I was hoping to order a spare and fit it tight.

Yes.

It depends on the sight.

220 grit Sandpaper is all you really need if it is too big.

Blue Loctite will work if the threads are clean. It took me 2 or 3 tries, but finally I wire-brushed old thread adhesive gunk off the bolt and sprayed it with brake cleaner (which leaves no residue unlike carburetor cleaner) and it has worked for 12,000 rounds. Use heat to dissolve the loctite if its ever necessary. Happy trails.