Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New or used 2011

mulrick

So I am really torn, I have been shooting 3-Gun a lot and I'm just getting into a little USPSA. I live in CA so now I have 76 days to get whatever handguns I want that are not on the asinine CA Approved Roster.

I have been shooting a Glock 35 that has another 600 in go fast parts from Zev, and have been generally happy. I like .40 cal mainly cause its what I shot when I wore a uniform. It also seems to get those stupid MGM spinners over a little quicker.

But now I want a 2011. I need a better trigger and less recoil to take my shooting another step up. I have a couple single stack 1911's so I am pretty comfortable with the platform and making the transition for 3-gun.

So here is my question, I want a 2011 in 9mm (someone please tell me if I should really be getting .40) full size, Limited configuration, with a light rail (I shoot occasional night matches.) This basically leaves me with a STI Tactical 5.0 or one of the Para built (armscore, RIA, etc.) The price on the Armscore guns is nice, but I know after buying it I will just want an STi or SVi and since the window to get these guns in CA legally is closing, Buy once cry once...

But no one seems to have them in stock, so I started looking used to see if I could get one sooner. However it seems not many people have them on the used market. So I guess my question lies with where is a good place to look for used (but reliable and honest) options since getting a new one before the deadline is probably impossible. I'd really like to keep the initial purchase under 2K since I will have to jump through another $200-300 in CA "hoops" and then magazines... CA throws me another couple curveballs there too.

Input is appreciated

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning a 2011 purchase for next year, and I'm having the same decisions as you.

What I would reccomend for you now, and I could be way off, buy a new 2011 from STI and buy an extra frame or two for future guns. Get them in the state while you can.

It's like an AWB. If I thought it was really going to hit I wouldn't be looking to buy a few rifles. I'd buy piles of lowers.

I'm planning a 2011 purchase for next year, and I'm having the same decisions as you.

What I would reccomend for you now, and I could be way off, buy a new 2011 from STI and buy an extra frame or two for future guns. Get them in the state while you can.

It's like an AWB. If I thought it was really going to hit I wouldn't be looking to buy a few rifles. I'd buy piles of lowers.

So I was thinking about this, my question is, frames... I know frame to slide kits are nice and smooth, but am I better buying raw frames and having a smith fit them down the road when I know what I want?

I'm in CA as well and I recently bought two used 2011s, if you're patient I think it's a much better value than frames.

See that is what i was wondering... I have patience, but the state of CA seems to be making it hard. Where did you get your 2011's?

So I was thinking about this, my question is, frames... I know frame to slide kits are nice and smooth, but am I better buying raw frames and having a smith fit them down the road when I know what I want?

If memory serves me right (I escaped Kommieforia 8 years ago)frames and fitted kits may not be sold in Cali because you can not test them as per SB 15 (the junk gun bill). Only way around this is the gun to be modified to single shot. You will need a modified complete 2011 then have it modified back to how it was built.

More thoughts to follow but you can legally get frames this year. 5th one is I'm CA jail as I write this. Its definitely cheaper to buy used, and some smiths can cut light rails in the long/wide frames.

That said I'd try to find a used 9 and buy a frame. You have just a bit of wiggle room so you may need to go frame first while you track down a good buy on the used gun.

Barsto BS40 is on roster and will likely remain that way so if you want a 40 you likely can still purchase next year.

Unless you specifically want to shoot Limited Minor, don't waste your time on a 2011 in 9mm. If you go .40, you can shoot Minor or Major just by varying velocity or bullet weight.

There's something about a custom built 2011. If your budget allows, I'd consider an Akai "Chuck" if a rail is your requirement. You won't be disappointed.

yeah 9mm is the lowest-recoiling round legal in 3 gun, ditto for steel matches. but if you're shooting uspsa limited you might want to get a .40 so you get Major scoring, and then shoot .40 minor in 3 gun and steel (just need a lighter recoil spring and spare guide rod). shooters connection looks to have some 5" Tacticals in .40. STI Marauders also have the rail but are more expensive.

You don't have time to get a new one from SVI, but if you can get a used SVI.. you can switch it back and forth between 40 and 9.. with a barrel/extractor and breech face.. and mags of course

I think SVI is the only one that has the interchangeable breech faces

FWIW, you don't have to worry about the SSE if you buy an SVI direct from SVI. Contact them directly. My apologies to your budget. :-)

Also, I've seen that JP Rifles carries SVI, was there recently and they had 4 or 5 listed -- just checked and they have none.

And since you're doing some USPSA in addition to 3-gun, go .40 or get two top-ends built for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Id recommend .40 if you plan on USPSA, Major vs Minor is a significant scoring difference, and you could always use .40 Minor for 3 gun. I went with a Dawson CRP Edge which is great value for a new STI shooter like myself.

Dawson Precision shows to have 2 Eagle 5.0 in stock in 40 cal. They also have 5 Edges in .40 cal. If you plan to shoot where there is a difference in power factor and you reload then 40 would be a good choice. I think they all come with Dawson FO front site and the tool less guide rod standard. They use to ship for free too.

For $100 more you can get their "competition ready pistol" or CRP conversion. You can even get hard chrome finish done or just about any other modification you want done to an STI pistol.

They're good folks to deal with.

So I am really torn, I have been shooting 3-Gun a lot and I'm just getting into a little USPSA. I live in CA so now I have 76 days to get whatever handguns I want that are not on the asinine CA Approved Roster.

I have been shooting a Glock 35 that has another 600 in go fast parts from Zev, and have been generally happy. I like .40 cal mainly cause its what I shot when I wore a uniform. It also seems to get those stupid MGM spinners over a little quicker.

But now I want a 2011. I need a better trigger and less recoil to take my shooting another step up. I have a couple single stack 1911's so I am pretty comfortable with the platform and making the transition for 3-gun.

So here is my question, I want a 2011 in 9mm (someone please tell me if I should really be getting .40) full size, Limited configuration, with a light rail (I shoot occasional night matches.) This basically leaves me with a STI Tactical 5.0 or one of the Para built (armscore, RIA, etc.) The price on the Armscore guns is nice, but I know after buying it I will just want an STi or SVi and since the window to get these guns in CA legally is closing, Buy once cry once...

But no one seems to have them in stock, so I started looking used to see if I could get one sooner. However it seems not many people have them on the used market. So I guess my question lies with where is a good place to look for used (but reliable and honest) options since getting a new one before the deadline is probably impossible. I'd really like to keep the initial purchase under 2K since I will have to jump through another $200-300 in CA "hoops" and then magazines... CA throws me another couple curveballs there too.

Input is appreciated

There is a site called Calguns with a large handguns for sale section but you have to hover constantly to catch the jewels among the toads. Also take your blood pressure meds before reading the prices in case you run across one of their usual $6000 Colt Python ads......

Be advised that if the gun's exact model number is not currently on the Cal approved roster, you must do a face-to-face PPT sale at a gun store. The gun can not be shipped so bear that in mind.

Edited by bountyhunter

if you can find frames get them now i know people have prices of them from $900-$1100 for just a lower frame that have them as a PPT. you dont need to SSE them. there is also a guy in san diego that can get STI lowers but you would have to SSE them. I dont know what his price is but im sure its around $700-$800 for everything. His shop is called Limited 10. https://www.facebook.com/LimitedTen

Also you can always get a used STI 2011 platform, i see them for sale all the time, but who knows what the price will be come 2015 when people can sell them for way more because they know we cant SSE anymore.

Dawson's won't ship to CA, I've called them before. Brazos will, I just ordered one today

Brazos will ship non-list guns to California?

Wouldn't post that publicly. Cali DOJ has busted people on Calguns.

Well I believe they ship to CA because not everyone has to obey roster laws.

Believe it or not even after this whole sse thing goes down, shelves will still be stocked with non list guns, they will just be LEO only

I would suggest since you A) say you like 40 and B) want to shoot USPSA limited div that you get a 40cal. you can load it soft (minor pf) to shoot 3gun and steel and then load it to major pf for limited and enjoy the scoring advantage that gives.

how important is a light rail really? for the odd night match it's really hurting your choice of 2011. perhaps for the night matches you can use the glock? or one of your 1911's (assuming one has a rail).

if you are willing to look at one without a rail you have so many more options from STI and from other builders too.

I would suggest given the uncertainty of what will happen in the new year if you want to get one before EOY then forgo the rail and just buy something like an edge, eagle, whatever. buy on in 40cal. if later you want to shoot 9mm then an conversion should be possible.