Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to get to USPSA National Championship?

theunloader

Hi,

I started shooting last October, and started getting in to competition this past March. I shoot IDPA and GSSF mainly. I have worked very hard and have had lots of great opportunities in such a short time shooting. I am very fortunate to have met so many nice people who have not hesitated to help out a new junior like myself. I have advanced in skill significantly and quickly, but I do not want to stop.

I have shot three IDPA sanctioned matches, one of them being the Carolina Cup, and would like to shoot more and make something out of myself. The next logical place to go seems to be USPSA. I have shot one local match and have not joined, but I am shooting another local match this weekend and will join shortly. I missed the points cut off for IDPA nats this year because of the my late start (I had exactly 0 points at the time) and am looking at the Indoor Nats in February. Lately I've seen a lot about the IPSC World Shoot. Now, I want to go there. I believe that if I keep working as hard as I have been I can make it skill wise.

I know that the process for getting to the World Shoot may change, but for now, how do I get to USPSA nats? I'm having trouble discerning what the USPSA Slot Policy says, could anyone shed any light on the subject?

While we're at it, any advice for a "beginner" shooter starting USPSA (I mean how to find matches and that sort of things, not what equipment I need or what to expect at a match)?

Thanks for any advice, it is GREATLY appreciated!

I can't speak for anybody else but our local club has one spot available for the nats this year. I'm not sure how that all works but our director of competition asked before our monthly match if anybody would like to go. I don't know how many of these spots are given out and how they determine who gets them but thats my 2 cents.

As for being a beginner the advice would be to shoot as fast as you can while still being under control and getting your hits. How you go about shooting a stage all depends on the division you shoot. Oh yea and at your first match, know and understand the 180 or it will be a short day.

If you have a local range that shoots USPSA go out and get in a squad with some veterans. If it is anything like our range everybody is more than willing to help you through every aspect of what and what not to do.

You can find a lot of matches here on enos as well as matchsignup.com

Good luck!

Ask around your club, USPSA uses the slot system. Our section has matches that let us earn slots. Not sure what division you shoot, but next year will have a different schedule than this years nats, and there will be opportunities for many more people to attend.

I understand you guy's have more people shooting USPSA than we have shooting IPSC in Australia so I understand the slot system, we just need to be members and pay up and shoot, we normally get about 250 competitors for our Nationals down here

USPSA is divided up into "Areas" based on geography. Within those Areas the are broken down into Sections. Each Section are given slots to Nats based on the number of participants. How those slots are distributed is up to the Section.

You need to find out how they divvy up the slots in your section. Sometimes they have more slots than people to fill them. Also, you can get yourself on the wait list. Sometimes the Nats does not fill up and anyone can get into it. A freind of mine has done exactly the same thing the last couple of years

From what I understand, there are several ways to get in:

1) Get a slot from your Section Coordinator.

2) Win your class at an Area match (at least three of my friends have gone to Nats this way)

3) Wait List once all the slots are filled from #1 and #2 any slots left over are opened up.

4) This method involves giving up some of your time, but I got into the 2014 Handgun Nats by signing up to work it. I shot in the pre-match then worked the next four days as RO. If not an RO, volunteer to work under the Quartermaster or Mr. Fixit. Or as a runner for stats. I'm not sure how next year's O-L-L10 match is going to be structured, but from what I've heard it sounds like a B2B format so there may not be a pre-match for staff to shoot. However at SS and Prod nats there might be...

I can tell you that the club I run gets 2-3 slots every year based on submitted activity fees. Our section takes the slots allocated to it and splits them to the clubs based on activity. Each club can do what they want to do with them, most of us ask if anyone wants them and then we use the "how much are you helping" metric if we have more people who want to go then we have slots. If we have slots left over, we return them to the section coordinator who can then assign them to other clubs that may have more people who want to go, or the section coordinator has a wait list.

If you shot at my club I'd say helping out would be your quickest and most direct way to a slot. Design stages, help build them, etc.

I simply asked our match directors and section coord and got a slot

a lot of people aren't apt to go to nationals since its a decent amount of time and money to dedicate to it. however your more serious shooters will find a way to get a slot if need be.

Just ask your match directors

I had not even been shooting for a year when I went to the SS Nationals. My buddy was the one who got the slot from the local club, and I simply applied and got one of the empty slots left over at the match.

As a new shooter, I learned a lot from attending that match. It was very professional; the opportunity to watch competitors who were awesome was a treat; and it motivated me to bring as much of that back to our club as possible.

Shoot at a local club that does a lot of sanctioned matches so there activity numbers are high which means they will get a few slots. Then talk to the MD on what his policy is for handing out those slots. I've been shooting less than 3 yrs and was offered the Production slot last year from our club even though I was no where near the best Production shooter ....

• 1 month later...

Win your division at an Area match. Contact your Section Coordinator. Depending on where the Nationals are held, if they are near you, I've witnessed folks showing up without a slot and asking to shoot the Nationals and actually getting in... USPSA is business and doesn't want to turn away a paying customer...because people with slots always drop out at the last minute and that opens up opportunities... Just my thoughts...

If you want to attend "A" Nationals, consider going to the Revolver Nationals in May at PASA. It gets close to filling up but there are usually a few spots open. And after the 1st of the year it's first come first served and it hasn't been filled by then the last 2 years.

I know Revolver doesn't seem as cool as Open or Limited, but it's a blast. Give it a try.

All of the other Nationals will have a waiting list at a specific time for those who don't have a slot.