Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock Gen4 G34 recoil spring and light loads

jhr1986

I've got a Gen4 G34 on the way which I plan to use for idpa/uspsa/steel. My current load is a 147gr bullet at ~132PF. Is this load with the stock RSA likely to cycle the gun reliably?

I want to resist the temptation to start modding out a new gun (I'm pretty new to competitive shooting anyway) but I'm also not going to buy factory ammo to make it cycle properly either. Should I go ahead and get the Jager SS rod and a 15lb spring? I wouldn't want to go too low on the recoil spring and risk OOB firing, and I wasn't planning on doing a lighter weight striker spring yet (again, don't want to mod it out too much before I even shoot it).

If the gun will likely cycle reliably with my loads then I'll just leave it as is for now.

Honestly, I'd just buy the guide Rod and get that thing sprung correctly and save yourself the frustration. While you're at it though... You should check out a barrel, connector, spring kit, trigger, sights, striker, and magwell... Lol

Honestly, the spring weight of the stock guide Rod was made for factory pf ammo... You're light loads might not have the juice to cycle that thing!

Me thinks you have spent too much time on the internet. You don't even have the gun and already you are finding fault. I'd suggest you not buy it. What evidence do you have that Glock's won't cycle with ammo in the 130's? What do you believe factory ammo is?

Sincerely, get something else if you are starting out with this lack of faith in the Glock. Why invest in a product that you believe needs reinventing? None of this is true of course, but lack of confidence in your tool will not be useful for using it.

If you're plan is to shoot factory ammo for a while, then leave the gun as is. It will function reliably without any issues. If you want to mod something out, just change out your sights. Until you reload for competition purposes, there's no point in changing the recoil assembly.

It will probably run just fine. I load to about 130-134PF and haven't had a problem in about 7k rounds. In fact, it's starting to feel really good now! Save the spring/rod money for Dawson Sights or more components!!!

Get the Jager SS Guide Rod and put an ISMI 13lb Spring on it. The gun will shoot great with everything from 125 pf to 150 pf.

Vogel uses a 11 lb ISMI in his G34 and he shoots 135 pf loads.

It might work with a Stock RSA but why hassle it when you can change that 1 simple piece and shoot without worrying..

Get the Jager SS Guide Rod and put an ISMI 13lb Spring on it. The gun will shoot great with everything from 125 pf to 150 pf.

I shoot a 15# spring in my G35 at major pf. I think 11# - 13# is a better choice for a G34.

Additionally, if you are planning on shooting IPDA SSP you have to stick with the dual recoil spring to be legal.

Just for reference sake, my 34 was set up with a Jäger ss FLGR and had an 11# spring on it. Gun was tuned to run 3.4gr of 7625 under a 147 Rainier FP and never failed me. As a matter of fact, I shot in the 2013 Proam in Frostproof. Shot it in the iron sight match in the AM. My open gun failed in the afternoon and I pulled the 34 out of the bag and ran it instead. I didn't have any Vogel like finishes, but it never failed me.

Additionally, if you are planning on shooting IPDA SSP you have to stick with the dual recoil spring to be legal.

You can run aftermarket springs in an SSP gun.

Also, when I ran the soft IDPA loads in my g34 with a stock recoil spring (~128pf) I had a BUNCH of issues. When I ran factory ammo it worked perfectly fine.

Changed the spring and didn't have an error in 5k rounds.

Just speaking from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember in IDPA you must have the adapter attached to the guide rod on a Gen 4 Glock. Just using an insert in the front of the slide puts you in ESP. I run a Lone Wolf rod in my G41. All the rest of our Glocks are Gen 3. I usually run a 13# ISMI. The original 11# ISMI spring design was not good. ISMI sent me a prototype to test. Maybe they have changed the design by now. A Gen 4 34 will not run a 160 gr bullet at a 130 PF reliably.

It bet it will cycle fine with stock spring but the muzzle will probably dip low from the slide slamming into battery. I think most competitive shooters using that PF use a recoil spring closer to 13lbs....

The first couple of shoots I went to with my gun running the stock spring I had several malfunctions each time. I don't know what my PF was because I'm just shooting steel but I was also only using 115gr bullets. I switched to the Jager guide rod with a 12lb spring and haven't had a single malfunction. My brass still ends up at my feet and I get comments about how it doesn't go very far, but the gun runs great. For the price, I think it's a no-brainer.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using 147 grain Xtreme bullets - PF is 128 with factory spring / Glock 34 Gen 4. I have no problems with my pistol failing to cycle...I reload my own ammo, clean my pistol once week, after 1,000 rds or so of firing...

care to share your load data info? thanks