Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two piece guide rod into a one piece

kamikaze1a

After several failed attempts to "lock" my two piece heavy gude rod into one I don't know what to try next. I tried both medium Blue and high strength Red with no joy.

I cleaned the threads well, degreased thoroughly, applied a lot and a little and allowed the Locktite cure completely but it never fails to eventually start backing out.

Any tips or tricks? Otherwise I think a one piece is in my future...

Hammer and punch. You don't need to squash it, just put a dent in it. AFTER you thread it in tight.

I like this one! I had thought about peening the threads before screwing together but this is even better.

I believe heat is often used to defeat thread locker and my limited range time is a factor in the failing thread locker. I have two hours once a week to practice and go through about 4-500 rounds during that session. By the time range close time comes around, the pistol is pretty hot and probably melting the thread locker...

• 1 month later...

Red Loctite WILL work if you prep it properly with a degreaser that totally strips oil off with no residue left. Degrease it with something that will not leave a residue such as acetone and let it dry totally. Then apply the loctite and let it sit for 24 hours before using. It will lock it up just fine and is doing what it is suppose to do, be a thread locker. JB weld does a lot of stuff well but its not a thread locker. This is one of the many things where its all in the prep work as to how it turns out. I have seen several things where basically no degreasing is done or it is degreased but a residue is left and just covered in loctite not hold so the JB weld is slathered all over it and basically messing stuff up and still not work or break loose again. The red loctite withstands a lot of heat so it shouldn't be breaking loose if you can still hold the gun If that was done like mentioned above and it still broke loose try this and it WILL NOT come off. The rockset is used for muzzle attachments usually ones with suppressors attached so it handles EXTREME heat much higher than loctite.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/168884/flexbar-rocksett-high-temperature-thread-locking-compound-2-oz

Edited by EkuJustice

I had cleaned with acetone before high strength locktite and allowed 24 hour curing but it would eventually work loose.

This time I used permanent red locktite and so far, still holding. If this doesn't stay tight, a hammer and punch it is...

THANKS!

I had cleaned with acetone before high strength locktite and allowed 24 hour curing but it would eventually work loose.

This time I used permanent red locktite and so far, still holding. If this doesn't stay tight, a hammer and punch it is...

THANKS!

I used Loctite 272 (Red High Temp) to secure the compensator to my 9mm open gun. If prepped and cured right, it works. Regular red should be fine for a guide rod - they get hot but nothing like a barrel.