Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock for Open

DJNKY49

I am just looking for some advice/opinions on this topic. My son is a Junior shooter currently in Production. He is looking to move to open, but doesn't want to use a 2011 style. He wants to stay with Glock.

Has anyone had any experience with Glock Open Guns?

I ran one for quite a long time running 9mm major. Only issues I ever faced with it were self caused, taking a couple of liberties with how long i could make the OAL, for example. but I ran 172 PF with a good comp that like a comp is supposed to. Loved 3N37 and 115's.

I shoot one with 9mm major and love it. It's very fast and accurate with my kkm barrel. I run the carver mount and cmore but in had to do some filing to the mount plate to get it to eject reliable. I've shot some 2011s and wasn't impressed with my accuracy while shooting them. But I'm probably not used to it.

I shot a open Glock for a little while built by a professional Glock builder. There was not a weekend I went out to shoot a match that something did not break, trigger, trigger pin, comp came off, you name it, it broke. Shooting Major in a open Glock is not good, if I would have went to Minor, I am sure it would have been a lot better.

I shoot an open glock in minor, I too will one day pursue the move to major, but for right now my scores and ability are not limited by the bonus you get from shooting major, more by the lack of time on trigger, and the availability of powder to load for major on a consistent basis. I have a slide mounted optic, and a heavy Zev Tech magwell, a carver 3 port comp and a storm lake barrel. The bonus of the minor gun is that I can shoot the local steel matches without much regard to ammo choices, they prefer not major loads, and I don't have to remember which bullets are loaded for major versus minor. Once I do major I will order some Bayou or other moly coated bullets in a color that will be specific to those loads. Remember if you build a minor open glock, depending on how you mount the optic, with two slides you can play both with he same lower. Thus only one expense for a magwell and trigger job.

Looked to me like the test went pretty well. Ragged hole in the target with just a tiny bit of pulling at a pretty good pace too. For someone who hasn't shot a gun like that before did very well. Looks like there may be a new open shooter out there next season.

It's fairly easy to convert a G17/34 into a Open minor gun. All you really need is something like a dovetail mount C-More, a Dawson magwell, a mag with a Taylor long extension and two or three mags with regular Dawson or Arredondo extensions. You can skip the compensator since it won't really do much with 9mm minor ammo anyway.

This setup will fit almost any holster that works with a stock pistol.

Open minor is not a bad option since it forces you to be as accurate as you can.

Edited by Graham Smith

YES! The test did go pretty well! My son was so excited to shoot that Open Glock! THANK YOU so much for giving him/us the opportunity! He is excited, and hasn't stopped talking about it! So I am pretty sure that he will be going to Open next season.

Thanks again Ryan!

Looked to me like the test went pretty well. Ragged hole in the target with just a tiny bit of pulling at a pretty good pace too. For someone who hasn't shot a gun like that before did very well. Looks like there may be a new open shooter out there next season.

What about major/minor with the G35? good,bad

I played around with putting a C-More and Jager comp on my G35 and using my regular limited loads with mixed results. If you are going to use a comp then you want a load that will work it and a standard load won't necessarily do that very well.

As to .40 minor, it's a treat to shoot. Very smooth, if you get the right load. You can just use a little less powder for minor (I've done it) but you are better off developing a special load.

• 2 weeks later...

I had Bobby Carver build me a Glock 22 open gun. have been running it for a few months now and I love the way it shoots. Still tweaking my loads a little. I am only down 2 rounds in the mag as opposed to a G17/34 open gun so I'm not worried about that. 25 rounds (40) vs 27 (9mm). Bobby sells a 3 port .40 comp that is designed to be used with factory ammo, which will still make major. I have the 4 port comp which is for custom major loads, like the one I am working on now.

When I first got into shooting steel challenge I bought a Carver Custom glock in 9mm. It's a fabulous gun but I had never shot a glock type pistol before. I've always shot 1911 type guns. It was very hard for me to get use to the glock trigger (can't teach an old dog new tricks), although I have to say the Carver trigger is a huge improvement over a stock one I tried later. I have since switched to a 2011 pistol and I'm doing much better with it and will probably sell the Carver at some point. If your son is use to glocks and shoots them well by all means it would be best to stay with them. I did have some time shooting and loading for the glock so to answer your question, I've had some experience with glock open guns. They work well, at least my Carver did. He makes a spring/guide rod combo you can easily switch out for major or minor loads and his comp works well. I would suggest you call him up and he can give you some great advice on what you might need. He is very helpful and a great guy. (Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Carver Customs other than picking his brain and spending a lot of time on the phone with him for several months before deciding on what to get.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...