Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cerakote to tighten slide to frame fit?

kneelingatlas

So I have a badass 6" Tanfoglio which drives tacks, but rattles ever so sliggtly when you shake it. I know it's not that big a deal, but it just makes it less than perfect. The slide and frame still need finishing (slide is in the white and frame is factory blued); I'd love to do hard chrome, but I'm worried it'll still be loose so I'm thinking Cerakote, but I don't have any experience with it. How smooth will it cycle with it on the rails? If it gets too thick will it break in?

It will tighten it up but sooner or later it will wear off. I've sprayed a few loose 2011's and it tightened them up quite a bit. I can't say how long it lasted but one thing is for sure. After a little break in the slide/frame fit felt like it was on bearings.

• 2 weeks later...

I cerakoted one of my tanfoglios and I am wishing I would have left it alone. Is their a way that the cerakote can be removed without hurting the original finish on the pistol? If so, how would one do this?

beadblasting it is the only method I know of

Edited by Adam B

I too made the mistake of Cerakote on a few guns (AR upper and a 1911)...never again. I think you will be fortunate to get 5K rounds with coated rails.

But, I was able to get most of it off with a few hours in the Ultrasonic cleaner. The few remaining pieces I removed with a dental pick.

I cerakoted one of my tanfoglios and I am wishing I would have left it alone. Is their a way that the cerakote can be removed without hurting the original finish on the pistol? If so, how would one do this?

If the the Cerakote was applied properly the original finish would have been removed before the Cerakote was applied.

• 2 weeks later...

I too made the mistake of Cerakote on a few guns (AR upper and a 1911)...never again. I think you will be fortunate to get 5K rounds with coated rails.

But, I was able to get most of it off with a few hours in the Ultrasonic cleaner. The few remaining pieces I removed with a dental pick.

So what happened specifically with the AR after you had it cerakoted? I was wanting to have my rifle done but I don't want to screw it up....

I can't answer your question about the AR but don't hesitate to do cerakote. Just find somebody that knows what they are doing and you will be good to go. It's kinda hard to screw up cerakote if you follow the manufacture's instructions.

It was Cerakote applied by a factory trained shop. The upper had have the trigger pin holes reamed and the inside of both receivers became too tight. Gun would not run. For cosmetic sure. For moving action... Not for me.