Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster Wear

ES13Raven

Arent they applying Tenifer anymore? I have a 2nd generation G1 as it is 7 and any apparent damage to the finish comes on by cleaning as it is always the Glock biting on anything else that comes in contact with it. Mine only haves some wear on internal contact surfaces.

Can you adjust it to make it looser? Looks like its wear marks are from going "in" judging by the direction of the scrapes...?

I just checked it in the holster - it goes in pretty loose and starts to "lock" into place when the gun is about 80% in. If I make it any looser, the gun won't stay in the holster.

If you're just shooting USPSA then who cares? There is hardly a time when you have to move fast on the clock and the gun isn't in your hands. Open it up as far as it goes, just enough to lightly pinch the gun.

Or, try some other holsters.

If you're just shooting USPSA then who cares? There is hardly a time when you have to move fast on the clock and the gun isn't in your hands. Open it up as far as it goes, just enough to lightly pinch the gun.

Or, try some other holsters.

I'm not just shooting USPSA, so I do care.

Make sure you check your holster after every match for dust and sand in it. I had a Tanfo with a brand new NIB coating that looked great. After a particularly dusty 3-gun match I noticed some obvious wear/scratches along the slide from my Bladetech holster. I have the little knob adjusters and keep it pretty tight. I contacted the gunsmith who did the coating and the first thing he said was check the holster for dust/sand. Sure enough the inner parts of the holster were covered in sand. I washed it good and no problems since, but I do check it after any windy dusty matches.

gerritm

None of the guns pictured here have excessive holster wear -- AAMOF they look like you barely practice......

lulz

Did you miss the part where mine is only one month old? That's the result of nightly dryfire, FYI.

I don't care, personally; simply pointing out that if you have a newer Glock, the weak finish is the likeliest culprit.

That probably needed an emoticon......

'twas meant in jest......

Arent they applying Tenifer anymore? I have a 2nd generation G1 as it is 7 and any apparent damage to the finish comes on by cleaning as it is always the Glock biting on anything else that comes in contact with it. Mine only haves some wear on internal contact surfaces.

No, they are not using the Tenifer process anymore due to EPA not allowing it in the USA. Very environment unfriendly.

• 3 weeks later...

My G17 ESP pistol looks about like yours and I use a Comp-Tac paddle holster . For my Trojan 5 9mm I bought a leather lined Kydex holster from Garrett Industries to keep from getting the same type of wear and so far so good. The leather lining takes some "break-in" and still feels like it has a little more drag than just a plan Kydex but it is easier on the blued finish.

http://www.giholsters.com/silent-thunder-d2/

FWIW

Rodney

On nylon (plastic) holsters like my Blade Tech, I usually wipe down the inside generously with a silicon cloth. It makes sliding the gun in & out much easier so I usually have to tighten up the retention screws. However, my Gen 4 G34 glides right in & out without any marring or scratches on the slide. There may be some excess silicone grease on the slide, but no signs of wear.

Been doing this to my nylon holsters for a few years now and it seems to work for me. Doesn't work as well on my kydex holsters, probably because they're fitted much tighter around the frame, but still works better than with nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Glocks are just hammers, holster wear doesn’t mean anything for carry or comp. This G17 has 16 years of competition use in

an original one piece laminate BladeTech belt loop holster and barely any wear.

image36841.jpg

But that's nothing compared to this G19. Not holster wear, it survived a car fire.Actually inside of an Uncle Mikes Nylon holster, laying on top of a Sunday newspaper in the well of the spare tire on a old Cadillac Eldorado. Burnt the car to the ground, cops gave it back to the owner and he gave it to me to get it running. Replaced the springs and sights, frame and slide are little tweaked, but it runs fine.

image33267.jpg

image31932.jpg

They must not build them like they used to. My gen 4 is maybe 6 or 8 months old and scraped scuffed and scratched to he'll out of a blade tech.....

The Black Ice ($65) or the Revolution ($25)? One is a solid laminate and the other is injection molded.