Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Riddle me this, ole chum! Thoughts on open minor

joedirt

What if there was a separate and new division/class for open minor? Yes, I know we can already shoot open minor, but, what if there were a division that were treated like production division? (minus the ten round limit) I know the 38 super guys won't like the idea, but I would love it. I just want to shoot and have fun with my open gun without the worry and expense of making major. The reason for bringing this up, is that I put my Trojan top end on my open gun and ran some minor rounds through it. holy cow was it fun to shoot!!!

Would you shoot in a exclusively open minor division??

GO!

Ya what worry and expense are there to making major in 9mm? We really do not need any more divisions for every little thing someone wants to shoot. If you wanna shoot minor go for it no one is stopping you, the same as with limited, and all the other divisions.

the worry and expense of major.

Joe, I was worried about reloading 9mm major when I got started - but, thanks

to BE and all the help I got here, I don't worry about it any more - I've loaded

as hot as 178 PF without a problem, and I've talked to people who have

loaded 9mm major to close to 200..

And, as Kraj mentioned, the only extra expense is a little more powder.

And, as Eku mentioned, how many divisions can we have (just in revolver

we could have minor and major, open and not open, 6 shot and 7 shot

and 8 shot (and soon, 9 or 10 shot, I suppose).

Not much reason to create another Division - but feel free to shoot

OPEN Minor - not a big deal. :cheers:

There is a place for open minor guns, it's called Steel Challenge. ;)

Actually, if you are good at gathering A's fast then shooting open minor might not hurt you all that much. The problem I found is that in open everybody is getting A's fast and I need every point I can get. Also, my USPSA open guns run a lot better at 165+ power factor than in the low minor range (125 - 150ish pf). I don't notice it as much shooting steel challenge stuff, but do notice it it a lot when shooting paper.

Agreed with production or tactical optics, there has been quite a bit of voice in support of it. Basically, no comp, red dot would probably be the way to go with the division. I'd support it, because it really would be useful in today's age of always-on red dots.

I shoot open MINOR at steel & OPEN minor for paper also...... I am like you, wish there was a Open Major class ................... brass last a lot longer , less powder.. and its easier on equipment..

maybe one day !!!

Joe, I was worried about reloading 9mm major when I got started - but, thanks

to BE and all the help I got here, I don't worry about it any more - I've loaded

as hot as 178 PF without a problem, and I've talked to people who have

loaded 9mm major to close to 200..

And, as Kraj mentioned, the only extra expense is a little more powder.

And, as Eku mentioned, how many divisions can we have (just in revolver

we could have minor and major, open and not open, 6 shot and 7 shot

and 8 shot (and soon, 9 or 10 shot, I suppose).

Not much reason to create another Division - but feel free to shoot

OPEN Minor - not a big deal. :cheers: Iv'e been reloading major for several years myself. the point is. I would rather shoot 9mm but 9major can't compete with 38 super. It just can't. take all the 9mmopen guns and compete against each other. you don't race a stock car and a legends car.

Open Minor Huh, Production Optics Huh, 8 shoot revolvers Huh, 10 shoot minor SS or 8 shot major SS Huh

Just go and shoot if you want to use some unusual gun or load it some way other than the norm go for it.

My BUT is!

Do we need to create a special venue for each group that wants something different or should we truly follow the gun owning /buying trends and make spots for those ONLY when needed based on how many guys are already shooting with us using the odd / unusual equipment.

Next thought don't like pushing your stuff to major I understand (don't agree but understand) shoot minor and have fun. Probably a fairly good chance you may not place much different than you currently do. That is not a jab but I've shot SS minor and major on and off and usually place about the same with either gun.

My opinion, no. Production optics is stupid. Anything with a dot is an open gun. If you can't handle recoil, are scared to shoot major or blow up a gun, don't like the cost, that's your choice. Shoot minor and shoot more accurately to be competitive.

You can shoot a 'production optic' gun all you want in Open. You can even have big sticks and race holsters and put your mags were you want them.

If you make a class for every type of gun in both major and minor, all you will have is a bunch of classes that a hand full of guys shoot.

I too don't want a bunch of odd ball classes. This is why single-stack and revolver need to be eliminated (both are extremely outdated, plus single stacks can be shot in limited 10 and revolvers shot in production), and tactical optics needs to be added.

Joe, I was worried about reloading 9mm major

:cheers: but 9major can't compete with 38 super.

I guess this has been discussed many times here at BE,

but I respectfully disagree.

As far as I'm concerned, 9mm major DOES COMPETE with .38 super.

Just my humble opinion. :cheers:

Joe, I was worried about reloading 9mm major

:cheers: but 9major can't compete with 38 super.

I guess this has been discussed many times here at BE,

but I respectfully disagree.

As far as I'm concerned, 9mm major DOES COMPETE with .38 super.

Just my humble opinion. :cheers:

To the question of a separate division, no. We don't need more divisions. To the question of shooting Open Minor, there are people who do it and do quite well. We had one guy with a regular G17 with factory magazines and a red dot shoot a match a few months back and he did pretty darn good, considering.

To the question of a separate division, no. We don't need more divisions. To the question of shooting Open Minor, there are people who do it and do quite well. We had one guy with a regular G17 with factory magazines and a red dot shoot a match a few months back and he did pretty darn good, considering.

I reliable Open gun is highly underrated! :cheers:

No more divisions please. I started shooting when it was only open and limited, at 175 power factor. Had an open gun that went almost 100,000 with 115 gr. MG bullets and 7625. The new power factor is easy to accomplish with the new power factor. I got tired 38 sc being hard to get so my gun being re barreled in 9. Can not wait!

I can understand the opposition to having more classes. That being said if there was such a class I would shoot it. My issue being I have a STI Steel Master and they don't recommend shooting major loads in that pistol. I guess I could always just buy another gun. :D