Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

my new SV Open gun

ErikW

public Yahoo photo album

SV Infinity stainless frame kit (including stainless drilled and tapped magazine release)

SV Infinity silver Enos I.T.S. trigger insert

SV Infinity guide rod, hard chromed (pulled from a Limited gun)

reverse plug of unknown manufacture, hard chromed (pulled from a Limited gun)

D.I.Y. grip reduction and retexturing

STI bald/bare Classic slide (panel cut, Caspian-style serrations, flat-topped and serrated, two porpoise holes)

STI S-2 TruBor bull barrel/compensator (reamed for .38 Super Auto, two porpoise holes)

STI link and pin set

STI stainless magazine well extension

Allchin C-More mount

C-More 8 MOA clicker with Arrendondo glare hood

Ed Brown wide ambidextrous safeties

Ed Brown memory groove beavertail

Ed Brown stainless rebuild kit

EGW ignition parts kit (blue not stainless, DOH!)

EGW oversize firing pin stop

EGW extended ejector

EGW stainless oversize slide stop

Wolff 17# hammer mainspring

Wolff 9# recoil spring

unfinished, in the white (until gun is fully broken in)

Slide Glide Lite on barrel, disconnector rail, guide rod, and recoil spring

Kellube on frame/slide bearing surfaces (until gun is fully broken in)

built by forum member BrianH of Experimental Machining

Guest Larry Cazes

Erik, its hard to see in these pictures. What is the configuration and dimensions on the barrel holes ? Is this a full length five inch slide? Must be a new job in Nevada?! :D Let us know what your load is and how it shoots.....

But ... aren't these things considered "gay" in NV? :P

Other than that, it looks very nice and a bit lighter and faster than the Supertanker.

So, how does it shoot??????

Kevin

I haven't shot it. It's a standard Government length slide, and the TruBor is 5.1" or whatever. The holes are... um, small. <shrug> It's not so nose heavy as the Supertanker, balanced more toward the trigger.

BrianH sent me some pictures when it was almost done and I told him to ditch the thumbrest on the scope mount. Foo-foo! I didn't know Allchin mounts included thumbrests. Speaking of the mount, it's a little off-center, on the left. It doesn't really affect pointability, and if the more-offset Brazos offset mount can work, I'm sure I can live with it.

I am not going to add a button to the mag release. Speaking of magazines, none of my STI mags drop free. :( I understand SV mags and tubes are as rare as hen's teeth right now so I'll have to make my current magazines work. That means marking them, then sanding inside of the grip. :(

When I gave the frame to BrianH, I had textured it with fine horizontal lines. I later determined that texture wasn't ideal and re-did my other guns. I did a quick and dirty re-do on this, with a spade tip on my wood burner.

I'll try to shoot it tomorrow with some 124 gr 3N38 loads and I think I have some 115 gr 3N38 loads still around. I bought a half-pound of 7625 to try because I want to get away from the pricey Vihtavuori powders. (Eight pounds of 7625 is $110 locally at Sportsmans Warehouse.)

So this is the heater you were talking about. Looks sharp man. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to post some pics too. Nice E~!

Thread Drift - ya gonna make it to special classifier match this sunday? I'll take ya out for lunch or dinner :) Beer is good!

erik, don't do anything to your mags until you take out the mag catch and insert them to see if they drop free. most of the time the mags aren't the culprit the catch is. sti catches tend to drag on the front of sv tubes. generally you can either get a sv catch or relieve the sti one and things will be good. good shooting, j.l. hardy

jeseej, I'll see whether any of the Washoe crew wants to make the trip over the hill.

J.L. thanks a lot for the tip! It sure felt like they were dragging against the grip but I hope you saved me a lot of work.

Bill, I'm trying to remember when I dropped it off when I was in Oregon for a match. I'm pretty sure it was when my front sight broke off my Limited gun. (Edit: that was at the Columbia-Cascade in August.)

I'm wondering about hard chroming the TruBor. After I have a nice coating of lead and gilding on the baffles, is it going to be possible? Does the integral comp/barrel complicate things? I had a Limited barrel hard chromed and they did the outside, but not the bore.

With only one match per month here in the Truckee Meadows, I'm going to be torn between Limited and Open. I might have to make more trips to Richmond and Yolo.

I loaded up some 3N38 and 7625 under MG 124 JHPs. I tried to load 7625 under Zero 115 JHPs but it was a compressed load and damaged the bullet. How do you manage it, Nolan?

Edited by Erik Warren

Hey short round at least it's not polished to a blingy high sheen.

I shot it this morning. I think it will be possible to load the 115s over 7265 because I was making 1515 fps out of the 124s (187 PF, proof load, hehe). Basically just dropping a 115 over the same charge should do it at a sane PF.

It's surprisingly soft, even at 176 PF. No hand slap or nastiness.

I was surprised that it ran in below freezing temp with SG Lite and Kellube, but it finally crapped out with a failure to eject. Then it failed to strip a round. But that one magazine doesn't click into the gun right and I think it sits too high or too low.

Mongo Impressed!

89% of ong45 at today's match and I hadn't shot a foo-foo gun since Area 1. Missed a strong hand shot at 15 yards on the classifier (I blame the trigger) and missed a hoper on a swinger I tried to double on one pass. The gun ran 100% despite the cool temp. Didn't really notice a difference between 115 and 124 gr bullets (both over 3N38). Really soft, just a little more blast to the face than the old Supertanker.

I've got to trim the right side safety because it's killing my finger (knuckle) and screwing up how I grip the gun.

I loaded up some 3N38 and 7625 under MG 124 JHPs. I tried to load 7625 under Zero 115 JHPs but it was a compressed load and damaged the bullet. How do you manage it, Nolan?

Erik,

My 115 grain JHP load with 7625 is:

115 Montana Gold JHP

Win Small Rifle Primer

8.6 grains 7625

1.235 OAL

176+ Power Factor

It will still be a compressed load, but not badly so.

Nolan