Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Service life of a slide stop?

ny32182

What I do with my cz's is use a new slide-stop for major matches and the original one for practice and local matches. When it breaks or starts making me nervous, I'll get another new one for major matches.

Have you gone through more than one?

What I do with my cz's is use a new slide-stop for major matches and the original one for practice and local matches. When it breaks or starts making me nervous, I'll get another new one for major matches.

Have you gone through more than one?

I'm still using the original, but I only have 20k at most through my gun (40 minor). I've just read enough about it that I don't want it to hose up a stage at a major match.

Too many real variants. I have stuff breaking all the time and Nealio is like Ive been running this since 1934 and have 40K rounds on it. :ph34r:

You can even say the individuals recoil control plays a part in it.

Are you trying to say Nealio's weenie arms soak up the recoil and save his guns?!? :sight::roflol:

lol, the tanfoglio slide stops don't seem to suffer like the CZ ones do. Could be the way the barrel kidney interacts with it, could be it's made of better material? I dunno. but they don't seem to break nearly as much in the minor PF guns.

But if it's a concern do the 2 slide stop thing. one for matches. one for practice. when the match stop has say 10,000 on it, make it the practice stop and buy a new one for matches.

Im saying Nealio talking about round count is like my Baby Momma talking about how long she was in labor. Every time the story is told the number gets larger :cheers:

Don't be bitter because I don't take you shooting... ;)

Im saying Nealio talking about round count is like my Baby Momma talking about how long she was in labor. Every time the story is told the number gets larger :cheers:

Nealio does alot more mental dryfire than actual live-fire.

But seriously, the root cause of stuff breaking is working on your gun at the safe table during a match. Luckily I shoot a proper gun so I don't have to do that (much).

But seriously, the root cause of stuff breaking is working on your gun at the safe table during a match.

Hmm, who would that be ??? muhahahaha

The Tanfoglio out ran the CZs this weekend in Utah (Gun not shooter). Not one malf, jam, light primer strike, etc....Only time I spent at the table was putting in a new Fiber. I ran the immediate stage after that 7th/57th.

american-style-luxury-ascot-faux-leather

Edited by praetorian97

hammer spring and recoil spring can both effect life of parts like the slide stop. the slide stop is what guide the barrel into and out of lockup during the slide cycle. so the more violent that cycle the bigger pounding that rod gets. since the slide has to cycle the hammer a lighter hammer spring has an effect as does the recoil spring. both work together to control the slide cycle. just the hammer spring only effects the rearward motion of the slide where as the recoil spring effects it both ways.

I think probably what has the biggest effect is how well the barrel kidney is cut. how well 'timed' the gun is and finally what the slide stop is made out of. if the barrel kidney cut is a bit off it may be fighting against part of the slide etc. same goes with a timing issue. generally that's how barrel locking lugs get damaged from poorly timed guns or guns being run dry of course.

Slide stop on my CZ SP01 broke at 30K rounds. Didn't show signs of wear. my suggestion is when you get north of 20K, start using a "practice slide stop" and a "match slide stop". Make sure you have enough rounds on the match version so you have faith in it, but then only use it for major matches.

Mine broke in the middle of a stage at a level Two. Not saying i would have won my class if it didn't, but i certainly had no chance once i zero'd a stage.

Mine broke in the middle of a stage at a level Two. Not saying i would have won my class if it didn't, but i certainly had no chance once i zero'd a stage.

I have broken two slide stops now in my TS. The first one actually caused no issues - there was enough pin that the gun was still running just fine. Shooting it, I never perceived when it broke (and actually don't know the exact timing.) The second caused a premature lockback, but after that portion was discarded (fell out), the gun was still hand-cycling fine. (It did the lockback thing on the very last shot in the stage; it's possible that it actually broke on a shot or two prior.) That pistol has many tens of thousands of rounds through it. My current loads are ~173 PF, but I also ran factory for at least a few thousand (closer to ~180PF). I run 12# recoil springs with no buffers.

I have not broken a slide stop in any of my normal ("small-frame") CZs, nor in a Tanfo (but honestly I haven't shot Tanfos a whole lot - to be changing soon, when my new Open gun is done).