Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup vs n320

magpulled

I have about 10lbs of titegroup and 4 lbs of n320.i loaded n320 a while back until I ran dry and I have been using TG for a while now with no issues. Question is should I go back to n320 now that I found some or just stick to TG. Y'all please chime in and let me know your thoughts

N320 is prolly THE best powder for 9mm (competitive Minor PF use). I bet you I can eat 10+lbs of crawfish ... as long as you pay thou :) .. been to MS a few times, liked the people and places I went!!

I used Clays for last 3+ years with great success!! but will have to eventually switch to TG after my last 8lb Clays jug runs out... I stocked up with TG as that's all I could get 'locally'. TG is a very good powder thou, many people including me frowned upon it at times :) I did for last 6+ years, while ppl using it were taking all the trophies :)

I've run out of TG, and came across a fair amount of N320.... hoping to start working up some loads over the next couple of weeks.

I haven't see large amounts of any powder in local shops, so while it's easy to say stick with TG.... it just not realistic in my case considering it availability.

~g

I traded my VV N320 for more Titegroup, 1lb for 1lb evenly. We both felt we got a great deal. Also, if you're paying msrp it looks like a pound of TG is about 20 bucks while the VV powder is over 30.

For me, Titegroup is it. I load my 9 and 45 with it.

Can't say anything about the 320 but I know several guys that use it an love it. I started loading TG to conserve another powder that I use in my .40 and found TG to be the most accurate powder I have loaded with for 9mm. It does burn hot but its clean and efficient so I am very happy that I picked it up when I did.

I have used both. Prefer the N320 over titegroup. Sold my last 1lb can of titegroup to a local shooter who was in desperate need of powder. I am down to my last 12lbs of N320 and am now starting to look for more.

ALWAYS keeping an eye out for replacement stock.

Stick with Titegroup.

Started with Titegroup years ago because it was cheaper and more available and have continued to use it for 9mm, .40 and 45 with no desire to change…but these days seems like nothing is available. Got lucky with gunbot and picked up 10#s of TG a few months back so I'm breathing a little easier.

:cheers:

Curtis

I bought enough N320 to last me until the Australians get Clays flowing again.

I hope....

we are working on it. :) our poor little convict colony suffered a fire in part of the pistol powder drying plant. it set them back a while. plus they make a powder called AP70N here which is really popular (slightly slower burning pistol powder, still used for minor loads). they have a 12 month reserve. well they were about out of the stock (nearly at reserve level) and made another batch. it had a problem so they junked it. then when making the makeup batch (now selling well into their reserves) they had the fire.

apparently they are almost caught up now and will be fully caught up on pistol powders by the end of this year. Take this info as it comes (from a no body on the interwebs) but it's what an ADI (makes of hodgdon) rep told me when he laid out the whole saga for me.

with powder equivalents:

clays is = to AS30N (very popular 9mm minor and shotgun powder here). which is roughly equal to red dot

titegroup is somewhere between clays and N320 I believe.

N320 is = to AP50N (sold here by ADI, not sure if they sell it in the US, but it's an excellent 9mm minor powder. as good as N320 in my experience).

According to ADI HP38 is supposed to be roughly equivalent to N320 and AP50N. I've never used it. Does anyone use HP38 in 9mm loads?

You guys that load say titegroup and N320 how many grains in each powder do you need in an otherwise identical load to get the same velocity?

For example. in AP50N I use 3.7gn. to get the same velocity with clays/AS30N I only need 3.3gn.

You guys that load say titegroup and N320 how many grains in each powder do you need in an otherwise identical load to get the same velocity?

What I have seen in 9mm and 38 special is you need at least .3-.4 more 320 to make same velocity.

9mm STI Edge, LOS 145gr FP copper plated bullets. OAL 1.165 inches.

3.55 grain of N320:

min 877 max 949 average 911 stdev 20,91

3.4 grain of TiteGroup:

min 910 max 925 average 917,60 stdev 4,97

As you can see, with TiteGroup I get a lot more consistent rounds. Cheaper and better than N320, which doesn't seem to meter very well from the Dillon powder measure.

Edited by mikamarj

I traded my VV N320 for more Titegroup, 1lb for 1lb evenly. We both felt we got a great deal. Also, if you're paying msrp it looks like a pound of TG is about 20 bucks while the VV powder is over 30.

For me, Titegroup is it. I load my 9 and 45 with it.

Funny how folks think N320 is so expensive when it is less than a penny a round or $10.00/1000 more than TG. What you pay in haz mat, bullets, and shipping are far more expensive in the whole equation. I know, I know, this has all been hashed out before, I just find it amusing.

I snagged 4# kegs of N320 for $105, buy the time I add in shipping and handling.... it probably adds $2 per lbs.... so let's just call it $115 for 4#'s, that's roughly $28 per lb..... if I could find Titegroup locally it would probably be priced close to that per lb, and I surely wouldn't be able to find the quantity of TG that I was able to acquire of the N320. I'm going to give it a try as it seem to be a good powder, and I'm just happy to have a stash of primary pistol powder (9mm) that will last for some time.

The cost difference isn't even worth mentioning IMHO.

~g

Seems to meter well and consistently with my Dillon. Although, I only bought it (N320) because I couldn't find Titegroup. You know, that N320 is so expensive. But seriously, for those of us on a tight (Titegroup) budget, the pennies matter, and do add up over time.

What I don't understand is how can some people state that N320 meters well on their Dillon and then another group states that it doesn't meter well. Which one is it?

I have wondererd that as well, N320 meters great for me, maybe not quite as consistent as some ball powder, but within +-0.05 grains for me is plenty consistent. I have been metering a ton of extruded powders through my 650 measure which is completely original and unmodified (Vihtavuori N110, N133, N135, N140, N320, Varget, Reloader 15, IMR 8208 XBR), I have found they all don't meter as consistent as N320 or IMR 8208 XBR. The shorter grained powders meter really good, the medium length ones do well enough but the longers one don't do very well and I know now what bridging is.