Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Level 1 match - How often do you give a shooter FTE penalty?

acpie360

At level 1 club matches, since most ROs are just volunteers, unless a shooter obviously runs bypassing a target, when do you decide to give a shooter the FTE penalty? Especially when the RO that runs the timer isn't sure, do you just call for 2-mikes?

Is this some kind of joke or trick question? What do you mean RO's are volunteers at level I matches? All RO's are volunteers at any match.

We run all our level I matches by the rules around here where I shoot. So if a shooter fails to shoot at a target he gets penalized

When I am sure they did not engage it. Some targets are grouped such that you cannot say with 100% certainty that they failed to shoot at a specific target because it is available from so many places. Some are only available from a specific location so it is easy to see if they index on the target or not.

Is this some kind of joke or trick question? What do you mean RO's are volunteers at level I matches? All RO's are volunteers at any match.

We run all our level I matches by the rules around here where I shoot. So if a shooter fails to shoot at a target he gets penalized

I think he is saying that at level one matches, you get someone running the timer that isn't a certified range officer, thus no formal education.

When I'm running the timer I try to follow the rules as closely as possible. If there's an FTE or other penalty and I'm 100% sure, I give the penalty. I even break out the overlays quite often, both to be fair to the shooter and for my own practice if/when I ever decide to RO a major. Think we're doing the shooter a disservice if we're too lenient. The new shooters have to learn the rules of the game and being too lax doesnt help them. Half our club is newer shooters, with a few being DQ'd more than once.

After having shot multiple majors I try to bring the same standard of R/Oing to my home club.

Agreed. We're not doing the newbies a "favor" by helping them learn the wrong rules, not just for scoring but for safety. We'll end up with them being more unhappy later when we suddenly decide that they're here to stay and start enforcing the real rules. Or they go to another club or a Major and get hit with a whole bunch of surprises. We should teach them, coach them, mentor them - and have them read the rule book!

Not only that but with this sport being one of personal integrity much like golf, I as a shooter know if I failed to engage a target. You also know that if a COF requires 28 shots and the shooter only fired 26 times, there's obviously an FTE somewhere. The timer will show shots fired.

I agree with Sarge's perspective. Also, He either engaged or he did not. If he did not, the FTE applies. We run all our matches per the USPSA rulebook. Should be no different at any USPSA match.

EXACTLY !

Not only that but with this sport being one of personal integrity much like golf, I as a shooter know if I failed to engage a target. You also know that if a COF requires 28 shots and the shooter only fired 26 times, there's obviously an FTE somewhere. The timer will show shots fired.

Not necessarily -- though that's likely......

There could have been a disappearing target.....

Someone could have engaged two targets with a single round.....

As a competitor, I want exactly the points I earned on the stage -- any less cheats me of a score I earned; any more cheats my competitors......

As an RO I strive to call the targets in the manner in which I would want to have them called.....

No distinction between level matches. At all matches shooter gets the FTE if they fail to engage a target AND the RO or the scorekeeper (2nd RO) know FOR SURE they did not engage the target. If we are not sure, then just the mikes. And no, it is never based on the shots on the timer. How do you know that it was not 1 and 1 or maybe the timer did not pick up a shot and the RO's count is off.

Not necessarily -- though that's likely......

There could have been a disappearing target.....

Someone could have engaged two targets with a single round.....

Well, actually not. All targets (and range props except target sticks) are "impenetrable". If you hit one target the bullet effectively "disappears", and any holes in other targets (or hits on steel) don't count. (If it's steel it's a Range Equipment Failure...)

I know all or most folks that are RO's spent a lot of time and money to become an RO so why would you not enforce the rules.i

Nick,,I agree with you.Give me my true score nothing more nothing less

Edited by EEH

I think Nik meant one per target.

I KNOW that's what he meant!

Gotcha. This English language has so many twists and turns (...like Desi said to Lucy when he was studying English, "how come you say "e-nuff" [enough] but you don't say "buff" [bough]?"