Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you get started in precision rifle?

GreenDragon64

I'm kinda wanting to try out long range precision shooting, but I don't have much experience shooting past 200 yards. That's about the farthest shot I've taken as my 700 is sighted in at that range.

Currently I own a R700 SPS chambered in .308 and would like to start out with the Nikon Prostaff 4-12x scope with Nikoplex reticle for the time being. It has the factory flimsy stock and recalled trigger, but I will be upgrading the trigger when I figure what to replace it with. Considering a Timney since I hear good things, but I just don't know.
The attached target is a 3 shot group at 200 yards on a lead sled.

post-45720-0-71544800-1407596982_thumb.j

The answer is - it depends on what you call 'precision rifle.' For some folks, that's an SKS at 25 yards... for some, banging steel plate at 1000... and others like unknown distance shooting from odd positions under time constraints.

In general, a good place to start is F class competition to get your fundamentals down. The equipment? Nothing wrong with a varmint weight Rem 700 in 308 to get started. Or even a sporter weight - however that's gonna be interesting for long strings of fire... :) Nothing wrong with the Nikon scope to get started. You'll wind up swapping it all out before you are done for more magnification, stiffer stock, better barrel, blah blah blah... but using what you got to start will allow you to figure out what you actually 'need' as you go.

Me? I 'Needed' a McMillan A3, Krieger Heavy Palma .308 set up for heavy bullets, a Jewell trigger.... but started with a SPS.

I was in your shoes once, my advice is find a local NRA club, and shoot F Class, in my case the club folded up due the President utterly pissing off the new Base Commander, resulting in use of the range being cut off, I switched to precision(sniper) rifle matches, and found myself addicted to it, 308 is not going to get r done, but is just the start, and start saving for a 2000 dollar + scope.

The answer is - it depends on what you call 'precision rifle.' For some folks, that's an SKS at 25 yards... for some, banging steel plate at 1000... and others like unknown distance shooting from odd positions under time constraints.

In general, a good place to start is F class competition to get your fundamentals down. The equipment? Nothing wrong with a varmint weight Rem 700 in 308 to get started. Or even a sporter weight - however that's gonna be interesting for long strings of fire... :) Nothing wrong with the Nikon scope to get started. You'll wind up swapping it all out before you are done for more magnification, stiffer stock, better barrel, blah blah blah... but using what you got to start will allow you to figure out what you actually 'need' as you go.

Me? I 'Needed' a McMillan A3, Krieger Heavy Palma .308 set up for heavy bullets, a Jewell trigger.... but started with a SPS.

Haha, my first rifle I purchased was an SKS that I'd bang steel at 100 yards with.

I honestly don't know what type of matches I want to end up shooting, so I can't say. I did order a Timney trigger from Brownell's today (after going through BEnos so Brian gets a slice of that pie. There are 2 ranges within reasonable driving distance from me that I can go watch a match or two before shooting. I guess I need to invest in a bipod and a sock filled with sand for the bench rest and a mat.

I was in your shoes once, my advice is find a local NRA club, and shoot F Class, in my case the club folded up due the President utterly pissing off the new Base Commander, resulting in use of the range being cut off, I switched to precision(sniper) rifle matches, and found myself addicted to it, 308 is not going to get r done, but is just the start, and start saving for a 2000 dollar + scope.

So what is the difference between the NRA F Class and the precision sniper rifle matches? Is it the distance or the accuracy needed that makes the .308 not capable?

My other advice is take a class, and may I suggest Rifles Only in Kingsville TEXAS

Texas is a little piece from northeast Alabama, but I'll look up the information in case I can get away.

Rifles Only is a pretty good course, but it really depends on what you are trying to achieve. Every Precision Course will cover marksmanship, scope theory, etc. but you need a good starting point. Start with the basics and wait on the cool guy stuff. Learn everything you can about minute of angle, mils, range estimation, wind and of course, marksmanship. Find a range where they have long range matches and attach yourself to some of the competitors who have been shooting a while. They will gladly mentor you (well, most of them). One of the best things you can do is get behind a spotting scope and watch a good shooter. You will learn more about wind, which is the hardest skill to master. Good Luck!

I started shooting longer range matches this year. I thought I could shoot until I started doing this stuff. Big eye opener. As many have said, start with what you have. The 308 will get you started until you get things figured out. Your scope will hold you back a little if you have to do range estimation, but it's still ok to start with. Get a good load for your rifle and practice. That load with the lead sled should be the last load you shoot out of it if you are practicing. Chrono your loads, get over to jbm ballistics or another program if you prefer a different one and get some dope for your gun. Find a friend or local farmer who has a little land and will let you shoot to check your dope against your reticle, and fine tune your dope. Check out the forum over at tacticalmatches.com. Or precisionrifleseries.com. Just don't get sucked in to buying more equipment until you've shot a couple matches and know which direction you want to go in. There will be a big match in Jan about 1hour south of Ft Benning that may be close to you. I would go watch and learn. Also there is a range about an hour north of Panama City that has long range matches ( it's name has popped out of my head for the moment). You can find it on the other sites listed. I used to shoot a lot at 200yds, and I thought that moving out would be more of the same but just longer distances. The first time you shoot at 400 yd plates while you are on a swinging bridge will get your attention! Even something as simple as shooting off the peak of a shingled roof, is not as simple as it looks. I'm NOT trying to discourage you, this has been a ton of fun, and I'm just getting started with this stuff, but go in with your eyes open. Give it a whirl, just have your wallet on stand by, it's worse than heroin!

the best thing to do is to find dave T (DT1 i think) and volunteer to RO his match next month down in birmingham. You will learn more than you can imagine by watching 100 other shooters, both gear and technique. you can make some friends, and they will get you hooked up

then go take some classes

then go shoot some matches

So what is the difference between the NRA F Class and the precision sniper rifle matches? Is it the distance or the accuracy needed that makes the .308 not capable?

world of difference. F class (TR) is basically belly benchrest (and i'm not saying that in a derogatory manner). it's a 6-7 hr investment typically on a saturday. you lay prone with bipod and shoot 15-20 rounds (with usually unlimited sighters in 20-30 min) at a 3" x-ring at 600 yards or a 5" x-ring at 1000 yards in a 'match' and there will be 3 matches in day with an aggregate winner. The target is 6 foot by 6 foot cardboard and there is a dude behind you scoring your shots. there is also a dude in the pits (by the target) that pulls your target after every shot and sticks a big disk in it so you can see the hole. after you shoot, you will take turns scoring and pulling targets for them. there is a monthly match in tullahoma TN not far from you and also in oak ridge, TN. but they are all the same course of fire worldwide because they are an NRA match. usually it will cost you $15 or so to shoot (byo gun and ammo)

the sniper or field style are outlaw. no governing body, so every one is different. it's usually a 2-3 day investment. shoot a few of them around the country and you will probably find most organize themselves into 'stages' like 3gun/USPSA/IDPA. Stages can last 8 seconds to 8 minutes. Targets can be 5 feet away to a mile. (though most are 100-600 yards, though it varies based on what the local terrain is like). Positions will be a mix of prone and every barricade, car, tower, helicopter, whatever you can imagine.

some are physically demanding, others not so much. some are also team matches, which are the most fun as they add a whole new dimension of problem solving

for a good idea, search youtube for gap grind

the 308 is capable, it's just at a disadvantage if it's windy because there are many options which shoot higher BC bullets faster with less recoil

Edited by taliv

gibson8541 - there is a member of the Voodoo sniper team that is in my same area that I'm friends with and I'll see if I can't bribe him to show me some things and share some knowledge. I know I'll be taking a class sooner or later.

dauntedfuture - I'll look up match information and see if anything is within reasonable driving distance.

Jman - dude, just wow.

Shooter Steve - if I'm free, I know where I'll be that weekend.

taliv - I'll definitely make a trip down to B'ham for a match

I appreciate all of the information and the links to the different websites. Hopefully I'll be able to get the ball rolling and figure this out.

OP, if you're interested in coming down to watch or help with the match at Steel City (Birmingham) in Sept, send me an IM or e-mail and I'll get you details.

Classes at Rifles Only are fantastic. I've taken a couple, but you don't have to drive 12hrs to get good, foundational training. We ofer a solid Intro to Precision Rifle class at Steel City. K&M is a short drive where you can take more advanced classes.

Your rig is fine to get started. Once you see a match and take a basic class, you'll have a good idea of gear you'll want to upgrade to or acquire.

• 1 month later...

Yea, I think this rabbit hole is a bit too deep on the fiscals ... I'll have to wait on this until I win the lotto, haha. I'll end up giving this a try, with grad school classes and two jobs it isn't feasible currently. It's unfortunate, I like shooting long ranges and hearing a metal target sound off. I haven't been able to shoot my regular matches because of this, also.

You can also blueprint and re barrel a Remington 700 for a hair under $1000.00. Have it chambered in 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor.

Also don't overlook the .243 or 6.5x47 Lapua. Weather you reload or not will have a big influence on caliber selection. For starters a new trigger, Timney is the first that comes to mind. For a stock you can pick up a Bell & Carlson A2 for pretty cheap. For glass the sky is the limit, just remember buy once cry once!

I've got a "700" in 260. Great gun. If you get deep into it, find a good smith. I used Russell at scout supply company, built a laser. And there is no substitute for trigger time. Whatever you shoot, get comfortable and proficient with it.

Edited by GeoffB

• 3 weeks later...

If you decide you like the flavor of the PRS or other non-target type of matches, do yourself a favor and shoot at least one proper target match. You will learn a lot about your rifle and load shooting at a proper target vs. hit or miss on a piece of steel.

• 2 weeks later...

GreenDragon64,

You have some good info here. Take the equipment you have and start shooting, take some classes. it will take some time before your equipment could hold you back. Work on better handloading, Things you need to start, good accurate load, know your drop data, good bi-pods, strap-on cheekrest will help, then you are set. Go to matches and see what the guys are shooting.

Precision rifle can be very costly, the sky is the limit. My back ground is long range benchrest 1000yds and 600yds. I ran a Egg Shoot match in Roanoke, VA. I have been shooting a local steel match Bangsteel.com. But my guns are setup for benchrest, but I put stud in the stock for a bi-pod, added a strap-on cheekrest and go shooting.

Mark

If you decide you like the flavor of the PRS or other non-target type of matches, do yourself a favor and shoot at least one proper target match. You will learn a lot about your rifle and load shooting at a proper target vs. hit or miss on a piece of steel.

What is a "propper" target? I am guessing a paper target with scoring rings?

Passive aggressive much?